Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Quick one - first scan tomorrow

(10 Posts)
offonajolly Wed 03-Apr-13 20:57:52

Do I take my notes with me? any other tips? Apparently you need to take £3 with you to pay for the photo?

Any advice greatly appreciated smile

atrcts Wed 03-Apr-13 21:06:16

My hospital wanted a fiver for the photo's, so that must differ.

Definitely take your notes - you can be sure if you don't then they'll want them! (they needed to call me back for another scan and wanted to write on my notes that I had paid for my photos and that I had another appointment due).

Not sure what tips you might be looking for so I will run through everything I can think of:

They'll warm the jelly so its not cold enough to make you squeak when it is applied to your abdomen!!!!

You'll need to pull your clothing down the bikini line and sometimes a bit below (baby lies low in the pelvis at the 12 week scan) so some people find it easier to wear something that is easy/comfortable for you to do this. I was fine in my jeans.

If the baby isn't laying in a good position they might ask you to do star jumps or roll from left to right etc, to try and change the foetal position. This is especially important if you're doing the NT measurements for triple screening. But don't worry, if they can't get all the measurements needed then you'll get called back another time.

Oh and it doesn't seem to matter how you position yourself on the couch - you always get asked to move closer to the edge towards the sonographer!

BabyHMummy Wed 03-Apr-13 21:10:31

Mine are a fiver too so i would take extra just in case!!

Take something to read cos we got left in a room for ages on our own and def take ur note. In fact takethem everywhere when it comes to medical apts.

They should give u a bounty pack...got some useful info and vouchers in it.

Take an early morning wee sample and make sure ur bladder is full as it gives them best poss views

Other than that relax and enjoy!!

Hawkmoth Wed 03-Apr-13 21:11:34

Take the money in pound coins as it might be a machine.

offonajolly Wed 03-Apr-13 21:11:55

Thanks so much atrcts! this is excellent, most helpful and very much appreciated - thank you for taking the time to reply.

I will take notes, cash and hope for the best!

Thank you thank you

offonajolly Wed 03-Apr-13 21:13:28

ooo more good tips, thank you! coins, right...

Full bladder - yep

relax and enjoy - gotcha!

BabyHMummy Sat 06-Apr-13 22:58:13

How did it go op?

offonajolly Sun 07-Apr-13 08:37:03

really well thanks! I thought I was just starting my 14th week but they said I was 16+1!! so that was a bit of a shock...I was counting from the first day of my last period which was in Jan but they said we actuall conceived in Dec! So new due date is sooner than we thought!

We didn't have to pay for the photo's either but the good news is that I don't have to wait too long now til the next scan - we're going to find out the sex too which will be so exciting!

BabyHMummy Sun 07-Apr-13 14:34:54

That's great news!! Glad it went well.

sjupes Sun 07-Apr-13 14:52:04

We're only a pound per picture and don't get our notes until 20 weeks here.

shock at a fiver!

Offonajolly so glad your scan went well smile congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now