Talk

Advanced search

Stockpiling nappies

(11 Posts)
Cheffie100 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:27:47

Buying them for dc1 whenever thy are on offer. 28 weeks preggo ATM. What size do you buy and how many? Worried if newborn are too small or too big and don't know how many to get. Advice appreciated

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Wed 03-Apr-13 19:33:20

Don't stock pile many, there are always offers on. You can know til baby is here what size you'll need and what brand suits your baby.

I'd get 4 packs of newborn size 1 and a couple of packs of size 2. Maybe a couple of different brands (the cheap ones or those on offer!).

DC2 for me and I have 6 packs of size 1 but I grow smaller babies. Dc1 was 6 lb 10 at 2 weeks overdue and he was in size 1 for at least 2 months. You usually get through about 10-12 nappies per day.

PotteringAlong Wed 03-Apr-13 19:34:45

Asda nappies are very good I find and always on 2 for £10.

MyDaydream Wed 03-Apr-13 19:35:06

I'd avoid buying too many in one size/brand. My DS wasn't in first size for long at all but spent a long time in second size but grew out of them pretty much in the blink of an eye. We also found Pampers really leaky and just didn't work for us. If your dog it by offer look at price per nappy rather than overall price, a few times I've noticed they're not actually the best deal on the aisle.

cupcake78 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:36:54

As you know it all depends on the size of baby and how fast they grow.

Newborn size will last for a few weeks at least even on a big baby and estimate 4-5 nappies a day minimum, some days you'll need more some less again all depends on baby. If your planning on breastfeeding new baby's tend to poo after each feed.

Even if you get the bigger sizes and store them they will be used at some point. Think about nighttime nappies for the bigger sizes as they will help keep baby dry and hopefully you'll get the best sleep possible.

You may develop a preference for type/make as time goes on.

eltsihT Wed 03-Apr-13 19:40:41

I agree with pp don't stockpile, if one of the big supermarkets doesn't have nappies on offer the others do. I also agree that newborns get through 10-12 nappies a day.

My first started in size 2 nappies and moved to size 3 at about 6 weeks, but my babies are big, I am due in 6 weeks and currently have 2 boxes of size 2 nappies, will buy another box/2 when I finish the first.

Also it was good last time to try out shops own brand nappies/various big brands before I decided on what suited me/my son for instance Huggies were a no no as poo just came straight out the sides of them, but i knew other mums swore by them.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Wed 03-Apr-13 19:46:58

Aldi nappies are the best out there IMO.

sleepyhead Wed 03-Apr-13 19:54:02

Different brands of nappy seem to suit different shaped babies. Pampers were good for us newborn size but Huggies leaked. I've heard other people saying exactly the opposite though - ds had really skinny legs which I think affected the fit.

I've bought four packs of size 1 in different brands/supermarket's own depending what I saw cheap and will stop at that. Once you find one that suits you it's cheaper to buy the big box/huge pack anyway.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 03-Apr-13 20:09:26

I wouldn't stockpile, I ended up with loads of nappies that were useless for DS. I'd get a gift card instead and put a bit of money on it each time you had some spare cash instead.

KatAndKit Wed 03-Apr-13 20:12:51

I agree with the others, no need to stockpile, the prices don't change much and all the brands are regularly on offer in one supermarket or the other. I had an average sized 8lb baby. He spent about 10 days in size 1 and then went into size 2. TBH he could have started in size 2 but since I had the 1s and they had the handy cord stump cut out bit, Iused up the packets I had bought. I think I had about 3 packs of size 1.

gallicgirl Wed 03-Apr-13 21:53:59

I found different brands better at different ages.
Tesco and Boots were good when tiny, Pampers and Huggies leaked sometimes, have found Lidl best and price is consistently low even compared to main brands on offer. We also buy Lidl baby wipes at 78p a packet. Main brands tend to make DD's bottom sore - cotton wool and water is best for new born though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now