Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy questions ( most of them of the vanity variety)

(10 Posts)
cookiemonster100 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:22:24

Hi all,
I am 7 + 5 today after a long awaited IVF treatment and to be honest I couldn't be happier!
I have some events coming up and wondered if you knew / can provide any help ( these are all based on the fact I will still be pregnant at the time of these events)

1. I am a bridesmaid for my best friend at around 35/36 weeks. No way in the world am I not doing this as she is one in a million. She knows i am pg and has ordered the dress from a regular high street store, next size up in the regular size ( I am normally fit in the petite range coz I am a shorty). I am worried one size is not enough and maybe I need 2 sizes up. There is plenty of room around the boobs ( thanks to being flat as a pancake) and her mum can alter the dress for the bump. The other bridesmaids think one size up should be fine. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Lovely break in May - beach holiday around my 12 weeks. I have dark hair around my stomach and back and when I normally go away I tend to get them waxed so I don't look like a hairy scary monster in my bikini. Can you still wax when pg and if so is having you stomach done ok as well as lying on your belly while they press down and wax your back? Should I be aware of anything else? I know not to overheat and stay out of the sun.

I am not normally this vain, but I don't know who else to ask, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
CM x

louloutheshamed Wed 03-Apr-13 19:30:34

Not sure about waxing, but I think it's ok and you could have it done on your side or sitting up?

However, the dress may be more problematic. It's not really a case of buying a bigger size, but more of accommodating an entirely different shape- by 35 weeks you will have a big bump I would imagine (well I did anyway!). I would wait until closer to the time and see how big you are and get a dress then. This may be a problem if you are matching other bridesmaids though?

Congratulations!

KLou111 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:32:06

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

What are the dresses like? Remember your boobs will grow quite a bit. I know people who didn't really have a huge bump (me included, but I'm 5'9" so not petite in the slightest!) abut then I know people who I've thought looked like they were having 3 or 4 babies!
Seeing as it is from a high street store, could your friend ask if she can exchange the dress nearer the wedding if you grow bigger?

Regarding lying on your belly, your baby will be so small at 12 weeks, you probably won't even notice you're pregnant yet. I was sleeping on my front until 7 months, when I finally got a bump smile
With regards waxing, I don't have it done, but I can't see there being a problem.

noblegiraffe Wed 03-Apr-13 19:38:22

Lying on your front will be ok, but you shouldn't have hot wax put on your tummy, heat on your tummy is to be avoided.

fertilityFTW Wed 03-Apr-13 19:39:37

Hiya! Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I'm (or was, rather) absolutely teensy - low BMI, size 6 was a bit loose on me - and boy, did I underestimate how much I'd balloon! I have worn a couple of sizes up for most of the second trimester - but the third is a whole other thing and the oversized clothing trick just looks terrible. I'm 33 weeks now and the other stuff that looks decent is the maternity wear I have.

Of course this varies from person to person - but being really small framed, my belly looks like it juts out a mile and unless it's tent shaped - oversized clothes look a bit tat.

Is there anyway you could convince friend to consider an actual maternity dress for you? Like from Tiffany Rose or Seraphine Luxe?

As for the waxing - I'd suggest asking them to do your back while you stand up or lean over a chair - just to be safe! Tummy should be fine at 12 weeks - just let them know you're pregnant.

Sounds like lots of fun stuff is coming your way - enjoy!

bluer Wed 03-Apr-13 19:40:28

I think you need to seriously rethink the dress. I'm a bridesmaid around the Weeks after due date...I'm normally a size twelve and the shop had ordered me a 22 which will be cut down to fit whatever shape I end up! At the moment in 20 Weeks and can still fit some old clothes but I'm mostly in maternity...big bump but not much else! The cut of dresses matters as the bump makes material ride up so you'll notice that most maternity dresses are quite a bit longer at the front if on the hanger etc iyswim! A bigger size wouldn't work for me as I'm not a 14 and the material would still ride up on the bump and not fit elsewhere!

HavingAnOffDAy Wed 03-Apr-13 19:44:24

Congratulations smile

Just to add that your rib cage will probably expand a bit too by 35/36 weeks so it may not be just a case of altering the for your boobs - you may need extra room in the back too if the fabric of the dress doesn't really give

GreatSoprendo Wed 03-Apr-13 20:05:13

Congrats on your pregnancy! Im 39+6 after IVF wit DC1 and been surprised how normal clothes in bigger sizes just can seem to be mae to fit, as that's what I had previously assumed. in my case I'm all bump - so bigger sized regular clothes might fit over my bump but would need to be size 18 minimum (im usually a 10/12) whereas back, shoulders etc are still my usual size so bigger clothes hang off them and look terrible. It's not a question of size so much as one of fit as you are likely to be a completely different shape to normal.
I'd suggest leaving it until much nearer the time before you commit to a dress.

cookiemonster100 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:24:32

Thank you for your responses & best wishes much appreciated. I think I will wait nearer the time re the dress & deciding what's the best thing to do. Re waxing I forgot I have midwife appt before I go away so will ask her.
Thanks again for your advice,
CM x

milktraylady Sat 06-Apr-13 05:52:58

Hi here's another option for the dress- my sister was my bridesmaid at 36weeks pg. I bought her two indentical dresses & she had a local dressmaker cut one & insert a tailored panel up the front to accommodate the bump.

It worked perfectly! Dress looked great, bump looked great!

Have a lovely wedding day grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now