Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antibiotics in the 3rd trimester - help!

(6 Posts)
ButteryJam Tue 02-Apr-13 13:02:16

Hi,

I'm 32 weeks and I've been prescribed antibiotics for my cough that is painful and phlegmy. I've had it for two weeks now and it is not going.

I've had a look online and come across a study that claims that Use of Antibiotics during Pregnancy Increases the Risk of Asthma in Early Childhood.

Did any of you take antibiotics in the third trimester? Would you take it? Any other remedies/treatments that might work instead?

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 02-Apr-13 14:40:17

Just take the antibiotics. Your gp wouldn't have given you them unless you have a chest infection. You'll probably have been given something like amoxycillin which has been used in pregnancy for decades (took 2 courses myself when pg with dc1). If you try to ignore it you could end up with pneumonia, and high temps both of which put your baby at risk as well as you.

I can't access the full text of the article so can't comment in its validity, but if you're ill, you're ill. If you think your gp was just being "cautious" and you have no actual evidence of a chest infection (on listening to your chest) then maybe phone and have a chat with him/her about it.

I'm asthmatic, so I know when I have a chest infection and have no issue whatsoever with taking antibiotics if I NEED them. And I'm afraid no nothing else will work, and the longer you leave it the worse it will get and the more likely you are to need stronger, less tested, antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon. Rest as much as you can. Don't google any more!!

seekingpeaceandquiet Tue 02-Apr-13 15:19:02

I have group B strep so needed the antibiotics last week. I was 34 weeks then.
The doctor would not prescribe you antibiotics if you did not need them especially in pregnancy.

Dont know what you have been taking but I would also try hot lemon and honey as that should help you soothe it a bit.

Hope you feel better soon.

ButteryJam Tue 02-Apr-13 15:39:16

Thank you HP and seeking! smile

The Dr said he could only find a very tiny crackle noise on one side, and he said it could be the start of an infection, but he wasn't certain. I think I'm going to get a second opinion from another GP tomorrow.

Isitme1 Tue 02-Apr-13 16:54:05

Just want to say ive been on antibiotics since the start of pregnancy due to kidneys. Different ones and will be on abs until I have dc too. No on has ever mentioned anything like that but I suppose its about chances
X

megarobotdiscoparty Tue 02-Apr-13 17:58:09

I'm 33 weeks and on my 3rd course of anti-bs since January! The dentist who prescribed even showed me the entry in her medical books that said these particular ones (amoxycillin and one other I can't remember off the top of my head) were both ok in pregnancy. They are SO super cautious with drugs in pregnancy, they won't give you anything untested and only give if you definitely need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now