Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Painful bloated stomach

(6 Posts)
EllenS Tue 02-Apr-13 10:00:01

Hello, I'm 12 weeks & have had morning sickness ever since day one which I managed to control by basically eating constantly from morning to night. Sometimes in the night I would wake up with what I imagine to be an empty stomach, if I haven't eaten for a while, I'd get really burpy but in the night, managed to last until the morning when I would quickly have toast & be ok again.

Yesterday I felt really really full after my evening meal (not especially late and not an especially large meal) to the point where it was painful - like when you stuff yourself & eat too much and I just thought that I'd eaten more than I thought.

The feeling lasted for hours and I woke up at 4am still in pain & couldn't sleep. I haven't been able to go to work this morning, it's a little better now but I still feel like I can't face anything to eat - which I know I should do. I've managed some milk, a banana & some blueberries.

So long build up (sorry!), I know feeling bloated is common but this was really painful - but is that all it is bloating? Or is it indigestion? Trapped wind? What can I take for it? I took Deflatine at 4 am but it didn't really help.

Any help or suggestions really appreciated please. Thought I'd go to the pharmacy later to see if they can recommend something, but I also was hoping someone had had similar experiences & could help.

saycheeeeeese Tue 02-Apr-13 10:03:56

I had bad bloating too, until about 16 weeks.
Definitely speak to your pharmacist to get some relief, just eat little and often and avoid big dinners, if I ate too big a dinner I'd projectile vomit it back up.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 02-Apr-13 10:29:32

I found a regular probiotic has really helped with these symptoms.

glossyflower Tue 02-Apr-13 10:55:20

Peppermint capsules may help with the bloating.

pettyprudence Tue 02-Apr-13 10:57:44

ah the joys of pregnancy. i was seriously bloated and farted non stop from weeks 12-16 then it eased a bit grin
windeze is your friend grin

Ilovestackingcups Tue 02-Apr-13 20:23:10

Hi OP, I had the same, and have hopefully just come out of the woods now at 15 weeks. First, don't worry about not getting enough in for the baby; it will pull what it needs from your body. You do need to eat, but to keep your strength up. If you can, get a lot of rest whilst you're off work. I found just lying in bed really helped me (maybe took pressure off tummy?) and drinking fresh mint tea. The more hydrated I was, the better I felt.
Just keep repeating to yourself: it IS normal, it WILL go away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now