Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sugar in urine...avoiding sugar before next MW appt?

(5 Posts)
LadyCatherinedeBourgh Tue 02-Apr-13 07:59:49

I'm 26wks, at my last MW appt she found sugar in my urine. She asked me what sugary things I'd eaten that day (porridge with teaspoon honey & cinnamon pastry blush) and then told me off basically saying that for my next appt (in a few wks) I would need to totally avoid sugar beforehand otherwise she'd have to do the glucose test for gestational diabetes.

My aunt has diabetes and says this is rubbish, I should eat normally beforehand. What do you think? MW's attitude was really such that it kind of seemed she didn't want the bother of testing me!

Thanks

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 02-Apr-13 08:09:08

Ha I had this too! I'd eaten cereal and biscuits before I did my sample! Next time I drank a pint of water when I woke then did my urine sample, no sugar in urine! You can't totally avoid sugar, there's no such thing as a 'sugar free' diet. You can eat lower sugar foods but if there's glucose again it's worth having a GTT to check for diabetes because it does happen. Try not to worry too much though, as I said, mine was a one off.

shelly81 Tue 02-Apr-13 08:11:26

I always have sugar in my urine & have had 2 gtt's that have come back fine my midwife told me that its just my bodys way of filterin out the sugar .... I also do my sample first thing in the morning & that helps I'm 33 weeks x

fertilityFTW Tue 02-Apr-13 08:52:35

This happens to me all the time. Nurse told me the strips they use are very sensitive and pick up everything and MW said same: to avoid sugary sample by using first wee in the morning (before sugary tea!) - because if she gets 3 samples in a row with high sugar then she has to go through the process of testing/monitoring for GD etc. as per guidelines.

I had to have a GTT anyway (due to ethnic origins) which was totally normal - but my sugar's always off the scale according to MW (due to newly discovered passion for doughnuts) - I get told off a lot blush

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 02-Apr-13 08:57:06

Oh yes and I got a lecture about eating a low sugar diet and the risk of having a large baby if I are too much sugar. I did reduce my sugary drink intake but I continued to trough chocolate. I was scanned last week to be told the baby is only 50th percentile so actually quite dinky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now