Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

asking to be induced??

(6 Posts)
twinklesparkles Mon 01-Apr-13 18:56:33

Hi all,

From what date can you ask to be induced?
I have a midwife/antinatal clinic on friday where I will be 39+6 according to my dates (scan) or 39+2 according to their dates (calender). Would they take me seriously if I asked then?

Also, is it an actual indiction, or will they just offer the sweep? I've read somewhere that there's only 50/50 chance of sweep working i don't wanna go through that for no end result

Feel awful asking to be induced, know my baby is ok and doing last bits of growing inside me but I just can't wait anymore, its becoming very difficult.

Thanks smile

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 01-Apr-13 18:58:32

Depends on your local rules I think. Mine used to be you could have a sweep on your due date, now they wait a week. Will they induce without trying a sweep?

MrsHiddleston Mon 01-Apr-13 19:01:29

Have you had an induction before? I had one at 40+11 and I would never have one again if I can help it.

What are your reasons, are you in extreme discomfort? Pain? They're unlikely to agree to an induction IMO unless the reasons are valid and medical and you're over your due date.

Flisspaps Mon 01-Apr-13 19:03:21

I can't see them agreeing unless there are sound medical reasons.

It's interfering with the body's natural processes and carries risks for you (and the baby) - you can ask but I'd expect them to say no until 40+7 or thereabouts

sweetkitty Mon 01-Apr-13 19:03:55

I don't think you will be induced just for being uncomfortable there needs to be a medical reason.

Personally I believe it's best to allow the baby decide when it starts its labour, what's another 2 weeks out of 9 months but I do know how you feel going overdue is rubbish.

I don't think much of sweeps either, they have never worked with me, are just sore.

I was induced at term with my last baby due to severe SPD I couldn't walk, they said I could be induced from 39 weeks onwards, I waited until for the baby really. The induction was great but I had had 3 other babies naturally and the chances are I was going to go myself soon as one gel and less than 2 hours later I was in labour.

Also remember that an induction can lead to a path of intervention and a greater chance of a Csection.

I know it's difficult and painful at this stage but unless medically necessary I would say wait until your baby's ready.

twinklesparkles Mon 01-Apr-13 19:10:06

I had a induction at 36 weeks with dc#1 due to complications.

I guess I'm just gonna have to wait it out and hope she pops out soon then smile thanks guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now