Transverse/breech and section advice please!(13 Posts)
I am 29 weeks with DC2. DD was a normal delivery, head down throughout whole pg. This one is currently transverse and has been at all scans etc so far. I know there is plenty of time to go but want to be as prepared as possible, so if anyone can answer my questions I would very much appreciate it!
At what point of pg was any intervention suggested? My next appt is at 34 weeks with mw. I'm not hugely keen on manipulation of the baby as I have read that often transverse can mean a short cord or some other anatomical issue, although all scans have been fine. Am I likely to need another scan at some point to confirm anything? Also, at what point would a section be talked about, and is there a particular stage of pg that a section would be done? DD was a few days early and I'm wondering if a planned section is done early to avoid emergencies. Are there any other issues which can arise as a result of a transverse baby?
Sorry for the waffle. I just want to get my head around things so there are no scary surprises and I can also prepare my parents who will be looking after DD, in case they are likely to be needed early or at very short notice! I am ok with the whole idea of a section if that is what's needed, as you can tell I am a bit of a planner and risk avoider!
Many thanks x
Mine is breech I'm 38+3, they left me until 36wk midwife apt then sent me for scans to confirm positioning, I was then given the choice of ecv (turning) or elcs, was told by 36wks only 4% of babies turn naturally-might be different your it's your 2nd-I went for the turning which didn't work-couldn't turn baby, they don't force it, and you are super monitored. I'm now booked in for an elcs on thurs. it's all pretty fresh and just happened so any questions I hope I can help!!!
Dc3 has been transverse whole time (as we're dd and ds before they went head down) until 34 weeks he went breech. Scan booked at 37 weeks he's head down. I was told otherwise c section at 39 weeks I asked for a little earlier just a few days to keep in Easter hold but told point blank 'no' unless there are other medical reasons.
I have a bicornate uterus which can cause positioning problems but do far we are back on track. Have gone over twice before so now relief of no section recovery with 3 and 6 year old now clouded by horror of potentially 2 weeks and 12 days before third induction when I am as big as a house and shattered. C'mon baby!!
Thank you both! That's really helpful. Plannedshock how many weeks were you when they scanned and tried to turn? It sounds like there was a bit of time between that and the elcs, which is my issue as I don't want to get to the scan and be told, ok, section tomorrow as my parents have to travel to us. Although, if it all went off naturally they would have to shift themselves anyway. Nice to know I don't need to fret too much until 36 weeks too. I have a suspicion this one is going to be a little monster lol!
Carrielou2007 could you tell the babies had moved? I am getting all the kicks etc very low and when I lie flat, can feel and see the overall shape of the baby across rather than up/down. Lots of movement but not big IYKWIM. I wish he would just move as I have evil heartburn and breathing issues with it all being so high up.
Thanks again x
Ds2 was transverse almost right up to delivery and turned in time.
I'm also 29weeks with dc3 and have the same thing again. Midwife has said there's plenty of time to for baby to move and not to worry
yet, we just need to keep an eye on it. I'm getting all the kicks low down too, my bladder is taking quite a battering!!
I'm 33+4 with DC2 and lo was transverse at all scans and at 29 week check, then turned breech but by mw app last week had turned head down. I wouldn't worry too much - plenty of time yet and it may be that your baby decides it's more comfortable to be head down as there's less space available to recline across the way!
Dd was alternating between transverse and breech from 28 wks until she was delivered by elcs at 38 wks. I tried acupuncture from 34wks, which is claimed to have a 75% success rate, and certainly won't do any harm. I was offered an ecv at 36 wks but declined as I felt that if she was going to turn she'd do it without help.
In the end she was in a footling breech position at 37 wks and I was showing signs of labour not being too far off, so I had an elcs at 38wks to reduce the risk of me going into labour. If she'd had her bottom in my pelvis we could have waited until at least 39 wks
dd was breech - discovered during an internal examination after i transferred to hosp for high bp (planned homebirth). I was whisked into theatre quick(ish) and my stomach muscles were cut slightly as her head was stuck... Recovery was very uncomfortable and felt like it took forever.
ds was breech for a while but settled head down by the time i had a scan at 36 weeks. planned a vbac then booked a section when i went
way over on dates. ended up with emcs but that's another story...
I think booking the section helped my recovery as there was less psychological shock to deal with. Good luck!
Hi OP. DS was breech the whole way through the pregnancy, I expected him to turn eventually but as I got closer and closer to 40 weeks, I started to realise it might not happen(gutted)! I did acupuncture, meditation, postitioning...nothing worked and at 35-36 weeks, had an EVC as a last ditch attempt to get baby heads down. It didnt work and I was booked in for a ELC at 39 weeks to reduce the chance of going into labour naturally. I was asked what day I wanted to have the baby, (loved the fact I got to choose the date!! more or less...)got to the hospital early(7:00am) and waited with 3 other couples for prep. Was #2 in line, went into OP at 10:15 and by 10:45 am I had DS in my arms. Initally I was so upset that the best route seemed to be Csection but in retrospect, I had the most pleasant birthing experience out of all my NCT mums, and would do it all again in a heartbeat!!
I'm 31+3 and DD2 is going between being transverse and diagonal (I can tell when she's gone back to transverse as my bump is rock hard all the way round). No one seems too concerned yet though tbh I'm pretty terrified as DS came at 35+5 and DD was 35+6 after a 3 hour labour. I know obviously they can't get out but is it dangerous if you go into labour while they're transverse?
I don't think there's any danger if you go into labour transverse, but it becomes an emergency section rather than calm and planned. Although if it all starts, at least you can just toddle off to the hospital and jump the queue, I guess! As you say, they can't come out that way!
DS was undiagnosed breech, only found out at 40+9! I had suspected the whole way through though as I never felt any kicks above my belly button. Had elcs 10 days over and it was a really pleasant experience. Again, prob best of all my nct lot.
24 weeks with ds2 and my placenta is low so being scanned at 36 weeks for that. Kicks are very low again but as he's still doing somersaults I'm trying not to read too much in to it.
Elcs really isn't something to be feared. Good luck.
I had no idea he had turned, he'd not had hiccups for a few days and they would normally be high up under my ribs so was fab.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.