Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is there a minimum age for a birth partner?

(15 Posts)
ditsydoll Sun 31-Mar-13 14:00:54

Dsis is 15 almost 16 and if possible we would both love for her to be in the room throughout my labour.

I will have Dh in with me too so she would only be there for extra support.
Would love a water birth.
Anyone know if there's an age limit?

ditsydoll Sun 31-Mar-13 17:20:42

Bump smile

MooMe Sun 31-Mar-13 17:40:52

I don't really think there is a age limit on it, so long as the person is not in the way (ie- someone very young- 2,3,4 yrs old would be a definite no). As long as the person giving birth is happy and the midwifes happy i really don't see any problems. Maybe worth asking at the birth unit. Also good to let them know you'll be having more than one birth partner.

OrangeLily Sun 31-Mar-13 17:44:11

I was 15 when my sister was born and was too young. Think it was 16, may have been 18 as a minimum age.

catlady1 Sun 31-Mar-13 17:50:30

I would ask at the hospital. Lots of 15/16 year olds have babies of their own, so as long as she's not being a nuisance then I can't see why they'd have a problem, but they might have a no children policy which would mean no under 16s or something like that.

DaveMccave Sun 31-Mar-13 23:57:46

You could just say she's 16? It's not like they are going to ask for a birth certificate.

Jojobump1986 Mon 01-Apr-13 00:02:08

Or have a homebirth? You can have whoever you want hanging around your own home! My DS1 will be 19 months & hopefully asleep when DS2 arrives!

WestieMamma Mon 01-Apr-13 00:10:22

My daughter is 19 and is going to be at the birth. The hospital and midwives were initially very reluctant about it as they were concerned about how it would affect her when the time comes for her to have babies.

Gruntfuttocks Mon 01-Apr-13 00:16:16

"concerned how it would affect her" etc - doesn't say much about their confidence in providing a good birth experience does it? What a load of nonsense. We've lost sight of what's normal... What better way to give your daughter confidence than to see you go through this. I think it's a great idea. Hope it works out for you all.

Flisspaps Mon 01-Apr-13 07:18:50

I agree with grunt - it's also entirely possible that a 19 year old could have 2-3 children of her own!

Unlikely, but possible!

WestieMamma Mon 01-Apr-13 08:19:12

Although, in their defence, she goes white as sheet and nearly passes out at the mere mention of 'placenta'. grin

Snowflakepie Mon 01-Apr-13 10:43:37

I would ask the birth unit if they have a minimum age, but don't say how old your DSis is at that point. If you believe she will be a good support, is not squeamish at blood or injections etc and can cope well with seeing things that might be unpleasant, then you can always tell them she is 16 if that is their limit. Every person is different, and responds in different ways when faced with a situation, and you will know your DSis best. My MIL is an absolute melter at the sight of blood, sick, trauma of any kind, but managed to deliver one of her grandchildren at home unexpectedly. However I would never have had her as a birth partner in a million years, and age had nothing to do with it!

somethingbeginningwith Tue 02-Apr-13 09:54:07

My dsis was 14 when I was born and both her and DF were in the room. Ask your hospital what the age limit is. I know someone who gave birth at 13 so I'd be shocked if they said no due to that age.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 09:58:23

Whem i had dd 27mths ago my ds1 was at the birth, he was 11 and it was fine. The hospital.just said we needed a plan for in case of emergency or for him.not liking it but he was fine infact the midwife commented that he was more mature and coped better than.lots of dads that she sees! hehas always bern an old man in a childs body tho! Anyway it was great experience and he cut the cord and we have lovely photos of him holding dd at minutes old smile

Slippysnow Sat 06-Apr-13 10:32:24

My hospital says 16. But you could lie, they won't be doing Id checks surely!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now