Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eating healthily during morning sickness

(12 Posts)
Girly2508 Sun 31-Mar-13 13:26:23

Good afternoon ladies. Firstly, Happy Easter to you all! I've been sooo good (so far) and not eating my body weight in chocolate yet!
After some advice. I'm 7 weeks today and although I've not actually been physically sick, I have a nauseous feeling pretty much all day. Even thinking of certain foods makes me retch and as for cooking - blurgh! I can't chop basic ingredients without heaving and I've always been such a fan of cooking/baking - liking myself to Nigella obviously!
I've now resorted to eating "what I fancy" like cereal or wholemeal toast with marmite. It's not awfully bad, sometimes I'll have a rich tea biscuit or a couple of fruit pastilles for a little sugar rush. Trying to get my calcium with semi skimmed milk. At the moment, when it comes to fruit and veg, I literally can't stomach it, which is so unlike me as I was constantly snacking on fruit and veg!
Basically, in a long winded way, am I depriving my little bean if I just continue to eat what I fancy at the moment and when the nausea subsides, pick up a more healthy way of eating?! Xx

Rockchick1984 Sun 31-Mar-13 13:37:32

Are you taking a pregnancy multivitamin? The baby will take everything they need, it will just be you that suffers if you're not getting the best nutrition! Honestly you're not alone in this, baby will be fine smile

Girly2508 Sun 31-Mar-13 13:42:33

I'm only taking the healthy start vitamin which is folic acid and vit D. It's gotten so bad that DH is in the kitchen today cooking hmm this could be interesting! Baby bean is my main priority, so as long as it has all it needs and stays comfy, I can live with looking and feeling poop! xx

glossyflower Mon 01-Apr-13 05:15:05

Hiya! I had very bad hyperemesis until about 5 months. For 10 whole weeks I couldn't keep any food or fluids down. What stayed down was very minimal.
Due to vomiting several times a day I wasn't even able to take multi vitamins or folic acid for all this time either.
I was worried about depriving my baby but fact is baby is like a parasite. They will take absolutely everything from you leaving only you depleted (which is why we feel so crappy!)
I'm due in 3 weeks and my baby is a healthy size with no problems at all. Just me that's been suffering lol!

glossyflower Mon 01-Apr-13 05:17:46

BTW ... Be observant with your sickness. Mine came on gradually until like I said I couldn't eat or drink anything for 10 weeks and keep it down.
Eat little and often, whatever you can manage but if it gets worse seek help immediately, because the hormone levels they say causes morning sickness and HG doesn't peak until 12 weeks.
All the best.

cakebaby Mon 01-Apr-13 10:06:18

I just ate what I felt like, a mouthful of cereal first thing, toast & marmite at work mid morning then soup or salad or sandwich if I fancied it & plain jacket for dinner. I found half sized meals more often was helpful, not letting blood sugar drop too much as thats when I felt horrific. Not my usual diet at all! Lasted til 13 weeks-ish then was back to normal almost overnight. Midwife said don't stress & go with it, so I did. Was terrified of huge weight gain, put on about 5lbs in 1st trimester but now 19 weeks & not put on anymore yet but have neat little bump. I took pregnancy supplement from supermarket which is as good IMO but much cheaper. Listen to your body & you'll be fine, most people feel much better by 14 weeks and will be back to their normal eating habits.

Kw2013 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:04:57

Hi I'm 36 weeks and 3 days and have had severe sickness through out been in hospital a lot on a drip and seriously cannot keep anything down so no healthy diet and no vitamins stay down for bump sad ... But I have had a lot of growth scans as I am tiny and he is fine not small, perfect heartbeat etc.. So try not to worry and honestly if you feel rubbish just eat whatever you can/want

MrsHoarder Mon 01-Apr-13 17:08:22

I changed to whole milk for more food fats/calcium and dh cooked whatever I thought I could face a few forkfuls of. Keep well hydrated and it will pass.

Flisspaps Mon 01-Apr-13 17:10:50

Eat what you can, when you can. If that's not healthy, then it's better that you eat that than nothing at all.

Your baby will basically take the nutrients it needs from your body before you get what's left - so don't worry about depriving your baby. He/she will be having a fine old time in there, take a pregnancy vitamin so that you get what you need! In a few weeks, you should be able to face something green without going green yourself!

Blankiefan Mon 01-Apr-13 19:28:15

I'm right there with you. I'm 8 and a bit weeks and riding the nausea bus too. Have only vom'd once tho (sorry, TMI).

I'm finding that constantly sipping on a bottle of room temperature water helps keep me hydrated. The thing I have found that hits the mark tho is toast and ham. (or toasted bagel and ham). Apparently, you're supposed to do carbs and protein together. I'm also managing bananas and really cold, freshly washed grapes - random!

One thing tho, I'm having occasional "good days" when I feel fine. I'm trying to use these to eat some fruit and veg (tho it's hard not to keep with nausea-eating just in case I make it worse again!!)

scaredbutexcited Mon 01-Apr-13 21:34:53

I had this at the start too. As others have said, try not to worry as the baby will take what it needs.

I found that for me some meal drinks helped to have something nutritious when really didn't fancy eating at all but needed some energy. Just be careful which ones though as some not suitable for pregnancy (eg high vit A levels).

Staying hydrated and eating little and often helped with me too.

flipflump Tue 02-Apr-13 08:49:29

Try not to worry, it seems very common. For 10 weeks I could only face cereal, toast or yogurt. Gradually I started having fruit and yogurt, cereal with banana on top, toast with tomatoes etc. I'm now back to eating fairly normally. Still find evenings difficult and would rather a sandwich than hot meal. Go with it, little bean will be thriving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now