Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doctor called. Freaking out, excited, anxious, nervous, worried. Can it be twins, AGAIN or something worse?!

(20 Posts)
MamaBlue4 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:09:51

Me again, it seems I'm always on here but it's great for advice/questions etc.

Doctor phoned with my HCG levels, he says they're high, wants me to come in again for a retest to make sure but suspects it's more likely multiples as we have family history and my last pregnancy was twin, but he doesn't want to rule anything out in case it's something more serious.

He said not to worry, but how can I not? He's said if my HCG levels are still high, then he's told me to book in with my midwife for a scan around 7 weeks to check.

I don't know if I should tell DH now or wait until after appt.

Looking for support and some words of reassurance or people in similar experience. Anything basically.

silently freaking out

Svrider Sat 30-Mar-13 17:32:13

Definetly tell dh
Good luck

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Sat 30-Mar-13 17:35:25

Tell your DH! A problem shared is a problem halved and all that. Not that it's a problem, it just helps to have someone you can offload your worries onto and to support you.
Good luck!

LetMeAtTheWine Sat 30-Mar-13 18:20:49

Tell DP, he might be able to reassure you and it/they are his babies too. smile

MamaBlue4 Sat 30-Mar-13 21:47:04

Told DH, he thought I was joking when I said my levels were high, but when I started freaking out, he realised I was serious he went silent but then went into crazy mode and got his pad and pen out and wrote a list of scenarios and questions to ask the doctor. He went online and researched.

I feel slightly calmer as I know DH is prepared even if I'm not and that I have him for support but I'm still worried, I was like this last PG but I know every PG is different and I hate getting my hopes up.

Saying that, every now and then he looks at me from where he's sat reading, and whispers "twins" at me, with what I can only describe as fear in his eyes before going back to his book.

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Sun 31-Mar-13 08:52:41

Mama your DH sounds great - very practical & organised. If you're going to freak out, much better to freak out with someone to ground you (even if you freak out together first).
I hope it goes well when you see the doctor again.

gardenpixie32 Sun 31-Mar-13 09:37:17

Congratulatons and good luck mama! There are three or four women on here with 2 sets of twins!

MightBeMad Sun 31-Mar-13 10:39:39

Op my hcg levels in my first pg were really high at 5/6 weeks (more than average levels for triplets!). Just the one, perfectly healthy, baby though, so don't worry too much yet! Congratulations either way!

MamaBlue4 Sun 31-Mar-13 12:21:25

Totally & Garden Thank you. DH is great and is amazing at calming me down, he likes to know all the facts and be precise, a trait he brings from his work life, which is a massive help to me.

A little calmer today, and we're off to an Easter fair with the dc so I'm just gunna forget about it and enjoy time as family.

might That's good to hear, I hope it's just high or wrong. As much as twins sound exciting, it's terrifying as dts are only 6 months themselves. What will be will be.

MamaBlue4 Mon 01-Apr-13 10:18:59

Home from the Doctors. Had more tests done and opted for the HIV test while I was there. I will receive my results around 4pm and from there on my care will be transferred to my MW and the antenatal team.

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Mon 01-Apr-13 12:13:20

Hope everything's ok and the wait until 4 isn't too bad.

colditz Mon 01-Apr-13 12:14:55

I'm surprised the doctors are open on a bank holiday.

glossyflower Mon 01-Apr-13 12:32:19

...or triplets? Quads?!
Xxx

MamaBlue4 Mon 01-Apr-13 19:30:39

I'm private, he wasn't open yesterday but he was today but only emergency appointments. Apparently, I qualified.

Don't say that glossy my heart can't take it haha.

I have my results, they're high, so I'm booked in for a 7+2 scan to check, and then back in at 11+5 for a dating scan plus combined testing. Eek.

BrienneOfTarth Thu 02-May-13 19:54:27

Any news OP? MN awaits with baited breath

HalfBakedCleverCookie Thu 02-May-13 19:59:19

Wow your going to have your hands very full. Good luck whatever happens.

Congratulations!

tequilacream Thu 02-May-13 20:13:12

Hope all is good, MamaBlue4

Just for info as an old post - Beta hCG levels can vary wildly - here is a breakdown, but high levels not always mean multiple pregnancy and it's the growth in 48h that matters (needs to grow at least 60%).

hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml
9 – 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 – 288,000 mIU/ml
13 – 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 – 254,000 mIU/ml
17 – 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 – 165,400 mIU/ml
25 – 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 – 117,000 mIU/ml

ProphetOfDoom Thu 02-May-13 20:15:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DinoSnores Sat 04-May-13 13:47:24

I was watching this thread as well, but I noticed elsewhere that she'd NCed but that she was expecting DTs again! I won't post her NC but just thought that I'd share happy news.

OP - if you happen to see this, there are a number of us thinking of you! Good luck!

TotallyEggFlipped Mon 06-May-13 12:35:03

Thanks for the update, Dino. Fantastic news! I've been wondering what happened. Hope you're ok, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now