Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused about pain experienced at 36 weeks

(5 Posts)
Katie4realzzz Thu 28-Mar-13 07:44:54

Just need to know if others have experienced this type of thing around this time during pregnancy.

I woke at 6am this morning with painful period like pains across my bump and lower back. I also felt sick at the same time. This carried on for about half an hour, I took two paracetamol and tried moving about cause laying down was too uncomfortable. I then got really bad heartburn.
I've been getting braxon hicks contractions now and again for the past two weeks. The pain has now eased off after taking the tablets but it was stronger than the braxon hicks I've experienced before. Does anyone think that it wont be long before I go into labour, what were your experiences before going into labour? My bump looks much lower this morning as well, this is my first baby.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Thu 28-Mar-13 08:45:26

It's most likely baby dropping and pushing on your cervix. Can be rather painful! IME there are lots of niggles before baby comes for some women.

Dc1 I had strong non-painful BH from about 25 weeks. Had 2 days of period pain level contractions on and off followed by 5.5 hr labour (you'll know when it's the real thing!). Baby had dropped weeks before birth at 40+13. This time I've had BH since 16 weeks, been having on and off early contractions for the last 4 days (37+6), enough to wake me from sleep. Very aware this could go on for weeks yet!

So I'm afraid it's how long is a piece of string. It could be an indicator that you'll soon go into labour, but it's more likely your body is just limbering up, so to speak. Try to remeber that each niggle is getting you closer to meeting your baby, and for your own sanity (from experience) try to think of your baby being due 2 weeks after your EDD!

If in doubt have a chat with your midwife.

Good luck!

Rockchick1984 Thu 28-Mar-13 08:47:16

Was the baby's head already engaged? I had pains like that when DS's head engaged, also obviously dropped bump! This was at 32 weeks for me though, and he arrived at 40 weeks so wasn't a sign of impending labour for me!

Katie4realzzz Thu 28-Mar-13 09:06:36

The last three times I've seen the midwife the babies head has been down, last week when I went I told her I thought my bump looked like it had dropped and she had a feel and said you're right the babies head is down and I can't move it.

The tablets I took seem to have worn off now and I feel like I've just got dull period pain, every time baby kicks and moves it feels worse :/

I'm guessing this isn't labour yet lol but I think that it may not be far away! Thanks for the feedback smile

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 28-Mar-13 09:10:51

I'm 36+2 and experiencing similar. I woke this morning with what seems like bad period cramps but it eases off. (I take regular paracetamol for something else). I do wonder if its my body gearing up for the labour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now