Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hair colour

(12 Posts)
RJM17 Wed 27-Mar-13 14:16:15

Hi

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about dying your hair in first trimester?
Can I use a home hair colour? I am currently 6 weeks and have the most awful roots lol.
Advice would be gratefully received xx

laurajane89 Wed 27-Mar-13 14:33:38

Hi, i use to be a hairdresser, yes its fine to have your hair coloured as long as you have a window open or back door. Due to pregnancy hormones it may just take a bit longer for the colour to take on your hair thats all. Hope this helps

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 27-Mar-13 14:37:33

The reason why some people say no is because pregnancy can change your skin and change your reaction to the dye, it can also turn out a different colour than usual. So make sure you do a patch test on your skin even if it's a dye you've used before. And of course make sure you're in a well ventilated room when you do it.

laurajane89 Wed 27-Mar-13 14:38:47

Yes do a skin test behind your ear

RJM17 Wed 27-Mar-13 16:41:02

It's a home colour so may sound stupid but how do I do a skin test cos if I mix it then it will need to be used. X

laurajane89 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:00:50

Do u mean a box colour ?

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 27-Mar-13 17:40:58

You only need to mix a little tiny bit about a drop of each in something plastic (not metal) and re-seal the rest of the tube/bottles. Then put the mixed bit either behind your ear or on your inner elbow and try and leave it there for 48 hours.

RJM17 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:16:12

It's one of those xl live mouse colours so its sachets and can't reseal them x

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 27-Mar-13 20:00:00

Ah I have no idea then confused what does the leaflet say about patch testing?

RJM17 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:15:53

Nothing I checked that. Just says to do one if not used it before.
Am I right that it won't harm the baby tho? If that's the case think I may just give it a go x

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 27-Mar-13 20:25:32

No it won't harm the baby. I've been dying my hair all the way through my pregnancy and baby is fine smile

Lj8893 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:29:18

No it won't harm the baby but you could have a really nasty allergic reaction!!! It really is worth doing the patch test, it will probably be absolutely fine but not really worth the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now