Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone on baby #2 and worried about PND (anxiety based) for a second time?

(7 Posts)
Uhoh2007 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:00:04

My DD is coming up 2 and I'm still not really over it - I still have days of crippling anxiety. I'm due again in a week or so. I'm petrified. Last time I was plunged I to a weird hell hole and I just can't do it again - not the really bad stuff.

I've had loads if counselling (didn't help) but no ADs. Was too scared to ever take them as didn't want confusing further. Advice appreciated.

purrpurr Tue 26-Mar-13 14:04:54

What sort of counselling did you have, if it didn't help?

Uhoh2007 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:16:28

Just through my GP looking at childhood stuff and then CBT. I think it's hormonal as would get so much worse every time I dropped a feed or, when my period came back, before a period.

purrpurr Tue 26-Mar-13 14:40:58

What sort of support otherwise do you have? Do you think the anxiety you're suffering with now is related to pregnancy hormones, or do is it that you're anxious about well, suffering from the horrors you experienced last time?

CBT doesn't work for everyone, but did it help you to spot any trigger points, things that would kick your anxiety off?

galwaygirl Tue 26-Mar-13 14:41:29

Hi, yes I'm the same. Due dc2 in June when DD will turn 2. I think I've always been a bit of a worrier but it was while pregnant with DD that things got really bad and after she was born unreal, I couldn't let anyone apart from me do anything, hated going for walks as I would see in my mind a car swerving off the road and hitting the pram, she was FF and my hands were destroyed from washing them and everything else in burning hot water, couldn't have raw meat in the house in case it somehow came into contact with her.
I still have a lot more issues with things like food but at 6 months pg I have noticed I'm getting really bad again with having her out of my sight or around people drinking hot drinks and a million other things.

Does this sound like what you went through or are going through?

I have been in counselling since DD was born but had to finish two weeks ago as we moved away from the UK. I took fluoxetine for 15
Months but not convinced it helped the anxiety side of things.
I had CBT very early on but found it unhelpful because I was so convinced my anxious thoughts were right, and they often were as with sterilising bottles just taken to extremes.

Anyway, is this even the kind of PND you mean?

space21 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:13:50

I'm in the same boat. Have a 2 year old and due in a week. Had PND at 2 months in with first and saw a psychologist and then took ADs (was breastfeeding too) and they helped me get back to normal in about 4 months.
I have just not really considered having it again this time round. My first PG was intense as I had been trying for 6 years and had 3 mc. I think all the hurt just had to come out somehow (and had some family issues too).
At least you can recognise the signs. Can you go and talk to your midwife or doctor? Don't suffer in silence. IMO the ads could help - you only have to have a low dose and they only put a trace amount into breast milk.
There is such a thing as prenatal depression too. Please go see someone

Uhoh2007 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:33:23

Hi lovely people who've replied. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this - my anxiety started off horrendous. I can't really explain it but it was a fear of death and just generally feeling weird and not myself. I had bad derealisaton to the point I didn't think my husband was real (?!) - that's just one example. Not to sound sorry for myself but it's been a truly shocking couple of years. Really bad. Obviously I have DD who is just the absolute light of my life - but on a personal level I've been to hell and back. I just don't think I can do it again. I know I can't.

I have an amazing husband who I couldn't have gotten through it without - but he works and so it's hard looking after my DD through the days. My mum is retired but I'm fiercely independent and would never take the p in terms of childcare - and to be honest I think that suits my mum too. To be fair though being alone in the house is just as bad as being with DD in the house. The only time I ever feel comfortable is at night when DH is home.

It pains me to think back through the really bad times - I have been left with a generalised anxiety disorder, but to go back to the really bad stuff would be awful. If it is hormonal I'm screwed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now