Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which brand nappy and wipes?

(47 Posts)
ButteryJam Tue 26-Mar-13 10:45:21

Hi,

This weekend I hope to stock up on nappies and wipes and start packing my hospital bag. I'll be buying them from Sainsburys (they've currently got 1/3 off baby items).

Which nappy brand for newborns would you recommend and which wipes?

Thanks! smile

Caitycat Tue 26-Mar-13 10:49:11

I didn't use any wipes until dd was a month old (possibly because she is my pfb!) I have used Huggies Pure wipes ever since (now 7 months old), I have occasionally bought other brands but dd seems to be sensitive to every other types she's tried (even Pampers sensitive ones). Nappies I would get a few different brands and see what suits your baby best, for dd it was pampers New Baby ones, the others seemed to leak.

BinarySolo Tue 26-Mar-13 10:55:10

I'm a big fan of huggies nappies. Asda ones are good too as are their wipes, not so keen on sainbury's wipes as they smell unpleasant (especially the unfragranced.)

Water and cotton wool is recommended for new borns. You may find wipes handy for yourself anyway tho.

BinarySolo Tue 26-Mar-13 10:55:52

Pack plenty of sanitary towels too. wink

Eskino Tue 26-Mar-13 10:57:46

Cheapest nappy to begin with, you'll be changing a bazillion times a day and then he/she will wee or do squirty poo right on the clean one.

Dd is 9 weeks old now and only just fitting in the reusable nappies her brother wore.

We use wipes, usually boots own brand un fragranced sensitive whatnot have been fine and are softer than other makes.

acrabadabra Tue 26-Mar-13 10:59:10

If I was starting over I'd start with the cheapest and work my way up.

When they're out of nappies you'll wonder why you 'wasted' so much money on pampers.

Also I believe huggies are being withdrawn from the market soon.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 26-Mar-13 11:00:29

Trouble is everyone will give you a different answer. What works for one baby doesn't work for another. I love the nature babycare nappies and tescos own wipes. Starting from scratch, I'd get a pack of a few different brands and see what suits you.

Don't buy Huggies though! Nothing wrong with them but the are stopping production of they're normal nappies in April, so if you end up loving them, you'll be a bit miffed when you can't get hold of them anymore!

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-Mar-13 11:00:40

I'm a total nappy whore and will go for whatever's on offer - tend to use either Asda, Tesco or Kiddicares (but they only start from size 2) depending on where I am and what's on special.

Wipes - I like the Huggies ones, and again stock up when they're reduced - but I'm not 100% sure they're the best thing for DD2 compared to DD1, so don't go nuts till you know the kind of baby you're going to end up with really!

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 26-Mar-13 11:05:56

Nappies - supermarket own brand. (Actually, I don't do this, I am blush to say that I actually buy Nature BabyCare Eco Nappies because they have a very tasteful pattern rather than cartoons all over them.) I used pampers initially, but I now refuse to use them because pampers refuse to explain their complicated system of nappy branding to me - despite my best efforts on their website I can't work out what they claim the different types are meant to be for.

Cotton wool - I went this route for months and months, it worked well for us but it's not an easy option shopping-wise. You really need the big square shapes, balls and tiny rounds are next to useless. Big square shapes can be tricky to find.

emalushka Tue 26-Mar-13 11:09:02

The best nappies for us have been lidl's own brand (toujours?).

showtunesgirl Tue 26-Mar-13 11:11:40

Another Toujours fan here but they only start in Size 3. And the wipes are cheap and good too!

We used Asda Newborn nappies for a bit as they were doing a great deal on newborn nappies, a pound a pack! Then we just used whatever was on offer.

DD doesn't seem to be irritated by anything we've tried.

Chocolateporridge Tue 26-Mar-13 11:12:24

I used "Cheeky Wipes" the washable ones, from day one and only used disposable wipes when out & about. The washable ones are FAB and pick up loads more poo per wipe than disposable wipes plus very very gentle on baby's bum.

I tried lots of brands of nappies and, quite honestly, found ALDI to be the best. Their wipes are really good too and thats not even taking into consideration the fact that they're loads cheaper too! smile

DejaB00 Tue 26-Mar-13 11:14:56

For me, Pampers all the way. DS is 3 and still not potty trained sad and we have never found anything better, although we've tried various brand over the years. Even the wipes are much better than others as they don't rip when you get them out of the packet.
I wouldn't use wipes on a newborn though-warm water and cotton wool.

retrorita Tue 26-Mar-13 11:19:25

Toujours wipes and nappies are the best - They've even won Mumsnets awards.

Just a shame they don't do them in newborn sizes.

peanutMD Tue 26-Mar-13 11:22:28

With DS, we stocked up on Huggies nappies they were on offer but he reacted badly to them and most other nappies except Lidl/Tesco. The only wipes could tolerate were Simple baby.

With DD (3 Weeks old today smile), we were wary and used a coupon to buy a pack Huggies newborn and a pack of Pampers both of which she has reacted too as well as Asda and Tescos so we will be trying Aldi/Boots and if that doesn't work e will have no option but to go down the reusable route.

She has also broken out with various wipes so I bought fleece wipes (£3 for 10 on Ebay) and use them with plain water and this works pretty well once you get into the habit smile

BinarySolo Tue 26-Mar-13 11:41:46

Are Huggies really being discontinued?

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 26-Mar-13 11:48:49

Huggies definitely discontinued

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 26-Mar-13 11:52:16

peanut do try the nature babycare aka Naty nappies. They were fab on DS's very sensitive skin. Chlorine free etc, no nasties. You can get them in boots, tesco, waitrose. Bit expensive but waitrose and boots often have 3 for 2 offers.

peanutMD Tue 26-Mar-13 11:57:50

Thanks HP, will definately look into those smile

Are they good with BF poo?

BinarySolo Tue 26-Mar-13 11:57:51

chocolateporridge how many wipes did you need to buy to keep a constant supply going? Did you have cotton, bamboo or micro fibre?

Definitely going to look at getting these. Sick of dh using the wet wipes for every cleaning job imaginable. I'm sure most of ours clean the carpet!

Pontouf Tue 26-Mar-13 11:59:46

Aldi nappies and wipes for us. We started off in pampers (bounty vouchers) an found then to be great. I find Huggies come up very small so end up costing more as you have to go up in size quicker. Generally will buy anything that's on offer but find Aldi ones to be great quality and approx half the price of pampers, which can make a massive cost difference. We have always gone for the own brand sensitive/fragrance free versions of wipes just to cut down on chemicals. Would also recommend using basics nappy sacks (we tend to use Sainsbury's basics ones) They are incredibly cheap and even if you use two bags per nappy (if a particularly smelly nappy) they are still much much cheaper than other brands which can tend to be very strongly scented. Besides they are literally just for disposing of shit so why pay over the odds?!

GirlOutNumbered Tue 26-Mar-13 12:03:47

Cheapest for newborns as you go though so many it doesn't really matter why they wear and then toujours, they are fab.

I hate huggies pure wipes, they don't wipe anything off. For newborn I used warm water and cotton wool for about a month, we now use pampers sensitive, they are cheap if you use amazon and get them on subscribe and save.

DrMcDreamysWife Tue 26-Mar-13 12:05:22

I HATE huggies. They always leak. I thought maybe it was just the shape of my dd's bum but tonnes of my friends agree. Pampers new baby were the best for us at first. And I second cotton wool for the first month. Although I preferred cotton wool pads like for makeup much easier than balls.

Congrats on your new baby

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 26-Mar-13 12:06:05

Yes peanut, tbh I found them the most absorbent and least prone to poo up the back incidents of all the ones I tried. I didn't buy them for their "green" values, but for the sensitive skin qualities, was surprised to find how good they are! You can sometimes buy them fairly cheaply on Amazon too.

scottishmummy Tue 26-Mar-13 12:08:05

Congratulations.which brand?there the rub different brands work for different babies
Don't bulk buy til you know what suits baby.I use boots own brand unperformed wipes
I liked huggies, and boots own brand nappies.didn't do reusable too much faff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now