Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

6+3 - U/s showed sac but no foetal pole

(17 Posts)
HopefullA Tue 26-Mar-13 04:21:38

I am 6+3 and yesterday got some cramping and light brownish discharge. its my first pregnancy so i went straight to the doc in a panic. THey did a vaginal U/S and it showed a perfect looking sac but no foetal pole nothing.
She started saying its a miscarraige etc, i burst into tears, then she back tracked and said to scan in a week and maybe my dates are wrong!

Has this ever happened to anyone else and gone on to continue a healthy pregnancy?
I haven't had the spotting or cramping since but my heart is broken!

Shootingstarsandcomets Tue 26-Mar-13 07:58:01

Just wanted someone to answer you. Sending you a hug. It could be a miscarriage but also it could not so hang on and see what happens in a week. I know its a long time. Same thing happened to me and it didnt turn out well that time but yours may be different. Good luck

Twattybollocks Tue 26-Mar-13 08:35:17

6 weeks is the absolute minimum for seeing a fetal pole. I had a scan at 6+1 and saw the smallest spec on the screen, the tech said a day earlier and they wouldn't have seen it. As long as they saw a yolk sac in the gestational sac I would be cautiously optimistic.

HopefullA Tue 26-Mar-13 09:09:37

Hmmm i keep hoping maybe my dates are off and its too early. She said she didnt see anything. just a circle (sac).

this is torture sad

LunaticFringe Tue 26-Mar-13 09:19:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moominlandmidwinter Tue 26-Mar-13 16:51:47

I had an early scan at 5+5, the only thing visible was slightly thickened uterine lining, and possible 'retained products of conception'. I was then asked for a urine sample to check if I even had a positive test! This was positive, so they queried an ectopic pregnancy, and booked me for a rescan 8 days later. Lo and behold, 10 days later, there was a gestational sac, yolk sac, and tiny embryo with heartbeat. She's now 6 months old and sleeping on my lap. I had brown bleeding until 7 weeks, which was from a haematoma.

Hope it is good news for you.

issypiggle Tue 26-Mar-13 16:58:58

i had the same, xp rushed me to a and e and the did a vaginal u/s, nothing i was told it was a mc, 3 weeks later i hadn't started and took a trip to docs and had a positive pt, told them it couldn't be possible, got sent for a scan, and found that i was 7-8 weeks gone. now have 3 year old dd,

your dates could be out, but have everything crossed for you hun.

Pollaidh Tue 26-Mar-13 19:59:40

Don't panic. My clinic won't even scan before 6+4 I think, so as not to panic women as around that point 1 day there is no pole and the next day there is. Also you'd only need to be out on your dates by 1 or 2 days to make a big difference. That was rather wrong of the sonographer to say a mc at this point, at your dates a sensitive sonographer should actually warn you that there might not be a pole but that it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, before she does the scan.

Also brown spotting and light cramping is very common in early pregnancy, although always terrifying. I've had spotting and cramping throughout the first + second trimesters of 1 successful pregnancy, throughout the first tri in my current. I've also had 2 miscarriages, but in those the cramping got steadily heavier and the blood got redder.

Generally brown blood is considered likely to be fine, as it is old blood and could come from a small bleed in your uterus or sometimes the cause is never identified. Even red blood can just be from an irritated cervix though. Mild cramps also quite common as the uterus grows and things start changing in your pelvis.

Hope you get good news next week. Try to keep calm. Do let us know what happens.

HarderToKidnap Tue 26-Mar-13 20:06:22

Yes, I had bright red bleeding at 6+ 4 and was sure I was miscarrying. Scan the next day showed two empty sacs. Went back 10 days later, having had further bleeding on and off, and one sac had a little heartbeat! He is chatting to himself in the cot right now. They put my dates back 10 days at the second scan.

HopefullA Wed 27-Mar-13 08:27:00

Thanks Harder - that gives me some hope though sorry you lost one of the twins.

I am hopeful and my hubbie is being very positive.

Am better today, no spotting and fewer cramps so fingers crossed i got my dates wrong and he is happily growing away. Will know more on scan on Sat.

As i told my hubbie, im telling myself i am pregnant until i start getting a bad bleed ie mc

Thanks all
xx

HopefullA Sun 31-Mar-13 05:07:54

So, good news. baby is safe and sound. Saw him on the scan yesterday, with his little heart beating. Amazing
Delighted!!!

LexiLexi Sun 31-Mar-13 05:36:34

Oh what lovely news Hopeful, wishing you all the very best for the next 9 months and beyond!

Christelle2207 Sun 31-Mar-13 08:18:11

what brilliant news. i would complain about first sonographer tbh!!! hope you can enjoy your pg now x

HopefullA Mon 01-Apr-13 11:07:42

Yeah i did mention it to my doc about the first scanner - she said she should not have said miscarriage to you.

Anwyay all is well again. Well besides the exahustion, bloating, nauseau - all is well
xx

candr Mon 01-Apr-13 20:54:53

Great news for you both, hope pg goes well (do you know it is a boy or are you hoping?)

HopefullA Tue 02-Apr-13 05:45:11

Thanks candr - nope i am hoping for a boy, my hubbie wants a girl but we have just started calling him a boy cos i don't want to call him an 'it'.
Poor thing if its a girl and i keep referring to him as a boy! heheh

candr Thu 04-Apr-13 20:04:28

We found out at 12 weeks last time as didn't want to call it IT too plus both wanted a girl so did not want to be dissapointed at birth. Within few min of finding out it was a boy though we were really happy and felt we could bond more and use his name when by ourselves. Think this is a girl so will be interested to see if they can tell at 12w again - will be happy either way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now