Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vaginal Infection, Streptococcus Pneumoniae?

(9 Posts)
midori1999 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:45:12

I had a vaginal swab taken last week and this was positive for Streptocuccus Pneumonia. The midwife hadn't heard of it vaginally but said it wasn't group B strep. The obstetrician however, said it was group b strep, but when I question this then seemed unsure and said she would speak to the microbiologist as I am keen to treat any infection as my waters went at 14+5 in a previous pregnancy, which was most probably due to an infection, although no one is sure.

I just wondered if anyone has heard of or had this infection vaginally please? I am very worried.

ananikifo Mon 25-Mar-13 20:52:09

When your consultant has spoken to a microbiologist you'll have an expert answer and advice on treatment. I really wish I could comfort you more but I don't know. I hope you get an answer and whatever treatment you need and that your pregnancy stays healthy.

To save me from anxious googling, can I just ask what symptoms led to your getting tested?

midori1999 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:03:32

Thanks. The consultant already spoke to the microbiologist and said I don't need treatment, but I'm not reasurred tbh due to my history.

I had no symptoms that I know of, I am being swabbed 4 weekly as a precaution due to my history.

ananikifo Mon 25-Mar-13 21:17:11

It's completely understandable that you would be worried but it sounds like your doctor has checked it out and it's ok. Wikipedia tells me that Streptocuccus pneumoniae is a completely different type of strep that isn't even part of the group a/b/c/d/e/f/g classification system.

Becky1989 Tue 26-Mar-13 00:18:00

I have this , I can't find no info on it but I have been givin antibiotics for it witch I haven't taken yet but will tmz once I'v had my midwife app as I want to know what it is ect , it seems very rare tho my midwife hadent herd of it either and she called the lab but when I spoke on the phone I couldn't really ask any think about it , but I will let you know tmz what she says , ah it's so anoying

midori1999 Tue 26-Mar-13 00:30:39

Thanks Becky. Do you know what antibiotics they have given you? Do you have any symptoms at all? I am having a lot of cramping, but I am only 11 weeks, so not sure if it's related, as I do normally get a lot of cramping in early pregnancy.

I am going to go to my GP tomorrow as I suspect I should be on antibiotics and I want to clarify exactly what it is I have, as no one seems to know!!!

Becky1989 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:12:32

Um penasliain how ever u spel it lol , nope no symptoms at all I'm 35 weeks and a few days , my midwife is gonna love me today I'v got so many questions to ask , is it harmful to baby in labour ect , see what you can find out about it and we can compare what they say , it's just strange how do they know how to treat it if no ones heard about it , I'm so glad I come across your post tho smile , x keep us updated x

midori1999 Tue 26-Mar-13 19:35:03

Thanks Becky. I hope the midwife appointment went well!

I think streptococcus pneumoniae is quite common, just not vaginally, it seems to usually cause chest/throat infections and pneumonia. It's not unheard of vaginally though and seems to have similar implications when in labour to strep b. hopefully your antibiotics will get rid of it!

I spoke to my midwife and GP today who were both excellent and agreed antibiotics were the best course of action, so I've started on penicillin v this afternoon. Hopefully that'll get rid of it, I'll be swabbed again in two weeks, so I'll find out then.

Becky1989 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:38:54

I was just told to take antie biotics , so I shel do that , but was told no drip ect was needed in labour , are they picking any thing up in your wee , mine picked up 4 things today :O x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now