Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question - lying on my back in 2nd trimester

(13 Posts)
EllenS Sun 24-Mar-13 11:42:04

Ok so I'm totally aware that this is probably a really stupid question but I keep reading about not being able to lie on my back in the 2nd trimester. I'm currently only 11+1 and no bump (other than bloating & eating too much for the last few weeks since I found out!)

Will someone like a midwife or a nurse be telling me at an appointment at some point when the time comes that I'm not supposed to lie on my back?

Every night when I sleep I sleep on my stomach but pretty much always without fail wake up on my back having turned over without being aware of it. I'm pretty sure this is common and as I've only read comments (generally in relation to other things) on forums I'm feeling a bit confused about it at the moment.

Or will my bump get me to the point where I can't lie on my back anyway? I guess sleeping on my stomach will probably have to stop....!! grin

Please help. Thanks!!

Dannilion Sun 24-Mar-13 11:48:57

The reason pregnant woman are advised not to lie inter back is due to the weight of the baby/placenta putting pressure on their inferior vena cava and making them faint.

You will know yourself when this becomes an issue because you will become breathless very quickly when laying on your back, and therefore move. I'm 38+2 and still sleep on my back, I'm proppe up by 2 pillows so it's not an issue.

Just trust your body, it will soon let you know when you're doing something that doesn't agree with it.

Dannilion Sun 24-Mar-13 11:49:23

Inter back? On their back obviously!

smallsmith Sun 24-Mar-13 15:38:00

I asked the midwife the same question at my 16 week apt, and answer was exactly as Dannilion says - if you feel in any way faint or dizzy then roll over, but this is unlikely to happen until much later in the pregnancy when the baby is heavier. You can get pregnancy pillows which might help support the bump when it gets bigger. Until then don't worry, and enjoy that comfy sleep!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 24-Mar-13 17:04:34

I'm in the 3rd tri, and still lie on my back, but I have had to start propping myself onto my side, but more because of the acid reflux than anything else.

islingtongirl Sun 24-Mar-13 17:08:39

Hi, I'm 18 weeks and still end up waking up on my back and still do some Pilates exercises on my back and feel fine at the moment. As soon as I start to feel a bit funny I will stop, although its hard when you are asleep to control it! As others said, it's the pressure of baby / uterus etc pressing on vena cava, and more likely to be an issue later on (if at all, I think some women don't experience it) - I think they just start telling you to be aware of it from second tri as some people do experience it that early.

ZuleikaD Sun 24-Mar-13 17:55:43

I'm 41 weeks and still sleep on my back - it's not a problem because of the way the baby's lying. Your body will tell you if you need to stop.

Fakebook Sun 24-Mar-13 18:22:48

You will know if you will be able to lie on your back or not. With dd I used to feel really faint and my breathing would become shallow if I lay on my back after about 20wks. With DS I used to wake up in the morning on my back breathing fine.

EllenS Sun 24-Mar-13 19:14:00

Ah that's great thanks - for some reason I thought it was something directly bad for the baby. Feel much better about it now thanks. Will deal with it if/when I need to!

Choccybaby Sun 24-Mar-13 19:42:24

The other thing it can do is make your legs swell more later in pregnancy.
Shouldn't harm the baby though.

JollyYellowGiant Sun 24-Mar-13 19:44:51

Grand! I was wondering the same thing this afternoon smile

CheungFun Sun 24-Mar-13 19:46:55

My midwife told me the best position to lie in is on your left hand side, but that's more later in pregnancy for getting the baby in a good position. If you feel comfortable lying on your back I'm sure it's fine. I do remember feeling dizzy and very quesy at my 20 week scan from lying on my back - I was on the verge of asking to roll over to my side when the lady said she was finished!

atrcts Tue 26-Mar-13 23:42:22

I asked my midwife who said its fine to lay on your back IF you have a pillow - just not if you're completely flat with nothing under the head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now