Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Folic acid when did you give it up?

(30 Posts)
Adreamz Sat 23-Mar-13 15:28:50

I know with baby 1 I waited till 13 weeks but it makes me quite sicky the folic acid. When did you give it up?

Lydia161290 Sat 23-Mar-13 15:33:03

The tablets made me feel sick, so I stopped at 12 weeks.

SourSweets Sat 23-Mar-13 15:53:42

I stopped at 12 weeks. Tried to take pregnacare but never remember.

curlyclaz13 Sat 23-Mar-13 16:02:05

Was taking pregnancy vitamins until last week (28 weeks) as I have been prescribed iron and don't want to overdose on it !

stargirl1701 Sat 23-Mar-13 16:04:20

I took Pregnacare before, during and after my pregnancy.

Littlemissexpecting Sat 23-Mar-13 16:40:05

Nearly 28 weeks and still taking it. I found taking it before bed best for me

riskit4abiskit Sat 23-Mar-13 16:57:32

I'm taking the pregnacare, its got folic acid in it. Do u take the tablets on a full stomach, it might make you feel less sickly?

Pontouf Sat 23-Mar-13 17:05:18

I took it religiously until 12 weeks and then more sporadically after that. I took it as part of a general prenatal vitamin so am still trying to remember to take it now - 38 weeks today. Mainly cos my diet hasn't been great due to morning sickness to 32 weeks.....

midori1999 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:15:47

I've been prescribed 5mg folic acid and have been told to take that until 12 weeks. I also take pregnacare though, which has folic acid in it too and will keep taking that throughout the pregnancy and probably afterwards for a bit as I'll be breastfeeding.

honey86 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:18:12

i take pregnacare x

swaye Sat 23-Mar-13 17:54:23

Im going to take Pregnacare all the way through. But taking it in the evening is best imo. I took it in the morning for 1 day as i forgot night before and omg did i pay. I felt so awful almist like an outer body experience!!! I thought it was the start of hellish ms. But no, just the tablets.

polkadotsrock Sat 23-Mar-13 19:03:59

I took pregnacare last time and am now convinced its why I was sick til 29 weeks. Just folic acid this time and will stop at 12 weeks, as far as I'm concerned a healthier happier me is what's best for bub.

OverEar Sat 23-Mar-13 19:11:03

I took Sanatogen pregnancy ones before, during and after.

Beatrixpotty Sat 23-Mar-13 20:02:11

Took pregnacare during pregnancy & will continue whilst breastfeeding

Eletheomel Sat 23-Mar-13 20:09:01

I stopped taking folic acid at 12 weeks and haven't taken any other supplements during this pregnancy. Didn't take any during my last pregnancy and we were both fine - reckon if you eat a good diet you don't really need them (apart from folic acid and vit d - which I think we're all meant to be taking, but I've not yet - had morning sickness until week 25 so couldn't face the thought of more pills)

dadofnone Sat 23-Mar-13 20:12:24

I didn't take any. Didn't know that you were supposed to!

GreenyGirl2 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:56:21

It's fine to stop folio acid at 12weeks but the current advice is to take vitamin D throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-minerals-supplements-pregnant.aspx

GreenyGirl2 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:57:02

oops folic acid not folio, although the latter sounds quite fun!

CityDweller Sun 24-Mar-13 20:41:23

I stopped taking it after 12 weeks. In part because I read something about it having potentially detrimental effects if taken into 3rd trimester (of course I can't now remember what those are - I think something about either increased risk of breast cancer in the mother or increased risk of asthma in the baby). I've taken vit D throughout and calcium-magnesium (as I developed lactose intolerance, so was worried about calcium intake), along with a probiotic to help with digestion.

Adreamz Mon 25-Mar-13 09:00:09

Where di you get vit d from, no one has mentioned this to me before xx

CityDweller Mon 25-Mar-13 09:07:57

I'm quite anal picky about what supplements I take and do a lot of research and have been taking Vit D in liquid form (from health food shop). It's expensive, but a tiny £30 bottle lasts about 9 months. Alternatively, you can just pick up Vit d in tablet/ capsules from Boots and supermarkets, etc

scissy Mon 25-Mar-13 09:51:32

you can buy vit d supplements from boots (own brand). you need the 10 microgram one. I found out about them too late for my pregnancy annoyingly as I had to take the higher dose of folic acid throughout so was rather lax on other vit pills as they all contain folic acid by default.

Teaandflapjacks Mon 25-Mar-13 11:04:11

I am taking Vit D - told to by doctor and got a prescription, Iron - likewise, and folic acid. Currently about 20 weeks give or take. I haven't stopped but have an appointment on weds and will check - thanks to this thread! - re. folic acid then. I take it in the morning with my other tablets and have no issues with it - but have had terrible morning sickness which tends to appear in the evening or late afternoon - can't see much of a correlation but could be wrong! hmm

FoofFighter Mon 25-Mar-13 11:22:02

stopped it asap as it made me very nauseous, one mug of Ovaltine has the RDA of Folic Acid in, two bowlful of Shreddies the same, so I did it through fortified food (and natural sources) and it didn't make me sick.

Teaandflapjacks Mon 25-Mar-13 11:46:40

FooFighter Thanks for the tip - had no idea!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now