Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you bother a Midwife with this? Back aches etc.

(13 Posts)
IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 21-Mar-13 17:34:21

Hello

I am 19 weeks +3 with my first and have so far only really mentioned migraines to my Midwife. But from quite early on in the pregnancy I have been plagued with what I put down to sciatica, but it has changed quite a bit from this.

I thought it might be SPD/PGP but I don't have all the symptoms so am not sure if these are just normal pregnancy symptoms everyone suffers from. My symptoms are:

*Sciatic like pains at work if I do one activity for too long, this is genetally in my lower back. immediate pain in lower back and bum if I lift something (I am avoiding lifting as much as possible but if I am on my own and it needs done I have no choice).

*A horrible niggling pain deep in one or both buttocks. It is really uncomfortable and makes me cringe. It can feel like sciatica, but aso like something has 'cracked'. I get this at the end of the day at work, but mostly if I have a nap when I get home.

*I feel really stiff if I have been sitting or lying, and every step is painful when I start moving around again, this also includes moving position in bed.

*I am struggling with taking underwear and trousers on and off, again there is a horrible niggling pain in my buttocks/thighs which leaves me wincing.

*Have just recently had shooting pains in my pubic area. This has only happened a couple of times so far but is painful and embarrassing, makes me walk funny and gives me a desperate urge to hold myself! It happened last night and the tenderness was still there this morning.

But some symptoms don't fit: it does not hurt more to part my legs, I haven't heard any clicking, no waddling.

Does this just sound like normal aches and pains?

Thank you

Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 17:40:19

Can't help but watching with interest as you have just described me exactly! Although I'm 13 weeks and have had scoliosis surgery so have put it down to that although its nowhere near the part of the spine I had surgery on.

I sympathise!

Petcat Thu 21-Mar-13 17:51:02

Sounds like PGP to me. I have had it since the first trimester, especially the pain in the bum! I was told it's due to the sciatic nerve being irritated by my unstable pelvis. I don't get pain in the pubic joint unless I've been driving for a long time. It's usually just my lower back, tailbone, bum and legs.

I saw an osteopath who really helped me. Prior to her treatment I struggled to dress myself and walk upstairs without pain. My mobility is so much better and although I am still in pain most days, I don't usually have to resort to painkillers.

The first midwife I spoke to just dismissed my symptoms as the 'normal aches and pains of pregnancy' and told me nothing could be done angry

My GP was a lot more understanding, prescribed me painkillers and referred me to the physio. But in truth the osteopath has definitely been the most helpful of the lot. Hope you start feeling better soon.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 21-Mar-13 18:23:38

Oh petcat that sounds awful! I suppose if it is PGP there will be a scale and mine is not as severe. I only have mobility problems some of the time, mostly after resting/lying down.

My mum thought it was the baby pressing on my sciatic nerve, I didn't know how likely it was given this has been going on a while and the baby will have been tiny.

How did they diagnose your unstable pelvis?

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 21-Mar-13 19:19:18

How is SPD/PGP diagnosed? Does the physio do it? I am just wandering how they would assess the pelvis without an x-ray or something.

Petcat Thu 21-Mar-13 19:32:59

My GP diagnosed the PGP - she moved me around, had me raise my legs, bend back and try to touch my toes to see what I could and couldn't do.

The osteopath was able to tell me exactly what type of pain I had been experiencing by simply looking at my posture, seeing me walk and touching me gently. She was so spot-on about my symptoms I thought she was psychic! If you do see one yourself, remember to wear big pants as you will have to strip down to your undies to be assessed and treated. As I say, worth every penny as it has helped me so much.

JollyYellowGiant Thu 21-Mar-13 19:36:10

I'm sure it is PGP. Sounds exactly like what I have. I have a physio referral. You should definitely get seen as soon as you can. Look up Pelvic Partnership. The only way to to fix it is manipulation by a professional. The earlier you can get referred the better smile

Please do not worry about bothering people with this. It is important! It can affect birthing too so you really want to get it seen to.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 21-Mar-13 19:41:07

Thank you to you both, I feel like I am moaning about every niggle, but have to remind myself it might actually be a problem. I have been quite stoic about ligament pains etc. this just feels quite severe. I will try for a GP appointment rather than limping on and moaning about it.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 28-Mar-13 21:50:00

Just a little update, I went to the GP today. He has signed me off but left me to sort out physio myself through occupational health at work. I had to mention the physio, I felt a bit patronised in that he just kept saying I had to expect some pains in pregnancy. He had to look PGP up on the net, so I think maybe a Midwife would be a better call next time.

Stepawayfromthesweeties Fri 29-Mar-13 16:45:08

I spoke to my gp about very similar symptoms a couple of weeks ago and he said it was sciatica and gave me a leaflet on low back pain. I was at the midwives the following week and mentioned to her and straight said it wasn't sciatica but my pelvis. She referred me to physio and I had my appointment the following week. My symptoms are very similar to yours, so I would strongly recommend you take it further. The physio said it it was pgp caused by my titled pelvis, pronating feet, and one leg shorter than the other blush she's given me loads of things to do, a support belt, tubigrip, insert for one of my shoes (I felt ever so slowly deformed by the time I leftgrin) but was so relieved that it actually was something and not just me being a hypochondriac. The good news is that apparantley 95% of cases clear up once the baby arrives, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Phew!!!!

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Fri 29-Mar-13 21:14:54

Oh stepaway you have made me laugh with that post! I will definitely be hassling Occupational Health next week to get on the list for physio. The pain is starting earlier and getting worse, ignoring it and working around it is no longer an option.

I'm glad you have got some things to ease the pain a bit. Can I ask how the physio assessed your pelvis? The GP just seemed to be aimlessly prodding my back and hips at random!

Stepawayfromthesweeties Sat 30-Mar-13 19:34:58

The physio asked me to take my shoes off, and straight away said that my very flat feet were causing my knees & hips to bend inwards, so with the added pressure of the baby would be grinding away when I was walking. So she recommended some scholl orthotic inserts to raise my arches and said that this will help quite a bit, so just waiting for them to arrive from eBay (if you need some shop around, I got them on eBay for £13 &the full retail price from scholl was £24!!!). Next she put her hands on my hips/pelvis and said that the left hand side was higher than the right, so I am now officially wonky hipped and flat footed. My DH is a very lucky man grin. She also gave me felt pad to slide into my right shoe to even me up, a support belt ( along the lines of a wwf wrestling belt!!!!) to wear when walking to keep everything nice and tight and a ginormous tubigrip which goes from under the boob area to the top of the thighs. I was with her for over an hour and felt like I'd had loads of support and advice, with minimal prodding & poking too. So sometimes the NHS does work really well smile

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sun 31-Mar-13 11:15:40

That sounds encouraging, thank you. I am a bit flat footed, so it's really interesting that could be a factor.

I just felt at the GP that the exercises he had me do (lie on back and do a straight leg raise, circle my knee etc.) didn't actually hurt as much as raising my leg off the floor or moving my leg forward while walking and shifting my weight. But a trained physio will obviously be able to assess me better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now