Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

holiday in the sun during pregnancy?

(26 Posts)
whiteandyellowiris Thu 21-Mar-13 14:13:56

only 8 weeks pg

thinking of booking a holiday maye spain, would i have to stay in the shade most of the time?

Pudgy2011 Thu 21-Mar-13 14:41:42

Not for any other reason than protecting your skin.

I live in the Caribbean, I was on the beach all the time up until I went into labour.

The only reason I may not have gone to the beach in my early weeks was because I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed.

Get out there and enjoy some sunshine!! grin

whiteandyellowiris Thu 21-Mar-13 17:29:56

oh good answer, yes i just ment in terms of over heating, but i suupose if your sensible, with shadw when you want it and plenty of drinks should be good for you really

envy at you living in the caribean which island ?
we went to barbados pre family and it was looooovely
your so lucky, i like the shamshakle huts on the beach

cupcake78 Thu 21-Mar-13 17:56:46

Go and have a great time!

Adreamz Thu 21-Mar-13 18:19:33

Went to Cyprus at 5 months. I kept my bump covered but was able to sit out in the sun and dip in the pool of I felt hot xx

whiteandyellowiris Thu 21-Mar-13 18:28:34

what time of year did you go to cyprus

Kelly1814 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:50:32

I live in Dubai and will be heavily pregnant during our summer when it hits 50 degrees at times. Lots of pregnant ladies on the beach just shaded.

Am sure if you stick to the shade you will be fine, I'm loving the sunshine at the moment ( only about 35 in the sun at the moment)

whiteandyellowiris Thu 21-Mar-13 20:44:01

ok thanks, if i get pastt the twenty week stage i will go then

thankssmile

PenelopeLane Fri 22-Mar-13 07:46:10

Just make sure you drink lots of water. I went to a tropical island while pregnant with DS and it was very very hot and I did get dehydrated initially from not drinking enough water. Once I realised, though, and drank more I was fine.

polkadotsrock Fri 22-Mar-13 09:39:02

My holiday at 15 weeks was the single best week of my pregnancy. I was less sick, I think coz I was so relaxed, and slept like a log every night. It was bliss.

Quilty Fri 22-Mar-13 10:12:56

I think it's fine as long as you don't overdo the sun. Use a higher factor sun cream than you normally would as skin is more sensitive when pregnant.

Havingkittens Fri 22-Mar-13 10:29:56

Yes, use a really high SPF, especially on your face as you are very prone to hyper pigmentation or melasma which often doesn't go away.

Beatrixpotty Fri 22-Mar-13 15:10:44

Went to Canaries during all 3 of my pregnancies ,last 2 times was 27 weeks,just made sure wore high factor sunscreen.Go and have a lovely holiday!

weeblueberry Fri 22-Mar-13 15:48:13

I went to Majorca when I was 8 weeks and the only real thing I had to change was that I drank LOTS of bottled water to keep myself hydrated. And I wore a big straw hat to stave off heatstroke (which can be dangerous at that stage). I also was a bit more careful about what I ate but that's not really what you asked wink

Pudgy2011 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:08:29

whiteandyellow I'm in Grand Cayman. Tis gorgeous although a far cry from the hussle and bussle of London and certainly does have its downsides as most places do.

I have to say, being heavily pregnant and being able to get in to the sea is fabulous, it feels lovely to be that light again. I looked like a whale trying to beach itself when I got out though.

Enjoy our holiday!

curiousgeorgie Fri 22-Mar-13 17:45:52

I went to Cyprus in August at 7.5 months pregnant... And sunbathed lots with my bump out and DD is completely fine...

I did ask my GP when he did my fit to fly letter if it would be okay and he assured me it would.

honey86 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:59:23

curious which airline did you fly with? and how was the flights?i heard alot of horror stories about pregnant women gettin turned away cos of the docs note not being worded right etc.
im flying to mallorca at 30-31 weeks x

Eletheomel Fri 22-Mar-13 18:45:00

We had a family holiday in Murcia, Spain when I was 25 wks pregnant with DS and it was great! First time I hadn't vomited since week 9, I was so relaxed, got to nap when I wanted, eat nice food and I loved lying in the sun catching some rays (I didn't overdo it - I can't take too much sun) and swimming in the pool. Felt so much better when I came back - I'd thoroughly recommend it!

I got travel insurance from marks and spencers and I think we flew with jet2.com.

JesusBuiltMyHotrod Fri 22-Mar-13 19:00:22

I went on a Caribbean cruise at 18/19 weeks and sunbathed as I normally would. I did use a higher factor sun cream than normal and ducked into the shade for half an hour here and there during the hottest parts of the day. The waiters on hand to bring me endless supplies of frozen non-alcoholic cocktails helped with keeping cool too smile

whiteandyellowiris Sat 23-Mar-13 07:26:46

Oh thanks, this sounds just the remedy

whiteandyellowiris Sat 23-Mar-13 07:28:23

Pudgy please tell me what's not so good about grand Cayman? Om stuck her sick as a dog , five year old dd been v ill all week,now has sn ear infection. And it'd bloody snowed overnight

Pudgy2011 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:58:51

Ahhh ok. Well ummm... errrr... we have hurricanes? <roots around in brain for more downsides to living in the Caribbean> smile

Actually I miss shopping malls, and Boots, M&S , being able to buy clothes that don't cost a fortune - Miami is an hours flight away so we generally have to fly up there to shop or we shop online which isn't as fun!

Also, the cost of living is astronomical over here - a pack of 3 sleeper suits that would my mum sends over for £7 from Tescos, cost about $27 here. That's over £20.

There's loads I miss about London, although not the weather - hope you're all staying warm.

curiousgeorgie Sat 23-Mar-13 18:39:05

Honey We flew with Thomson and on the way they didn't even ask for my letter, but on the way back they asked me at check in and again at the gate and took a copy.

I think it said 'Georgie is having a routine and uncomplicated pregnancy and there is no medical reason why she shouldn't fly up to 33 weeks pregnant.' or words to that effect.

(and not true either! GD, hyperemesis and bouts of premature labour don't exactly say 'uncomplicated' but my GP thought I deserved to relax in the sun!)

whiteandyellowiris Sun 24-Mar-13 16:39:48

nice try pudgy, but when its so cold and miserable here they thought of boots is not warming my soul

<hops on next plane to caymen islands>

<wishes>

BB01 Tue 26-Mar-13 12:12:13

We went to Tenerife when I was 23 weeks and I very much enjoyed it. Felt like some winter sun for a change from the snow of our English spring was just what I needed. I did definitely get more hot and bothered more easily than normal and seemed to catch the sun more. I did about half/half sun and shade and that worked out fine. I probably would have struggled to sit out much if it was somewhere much hotter (was about 24 max) and would have maybe found it a bit stifling. Was also nice as it was cloudy some days and it meant it was cool enough to explore locally a bit. I always thought I'd be fine doing a long haul flight while PG but was glad in the end it was a shortish one as I got more restless than normal and was mega paranoid about needing to wee constantly so probably didn't drink enough (go for aisle seat if doing long haul if you're worried about this!). I was also really glad we went somewhere with good standards of hygiene and relatively good levels of English just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now