Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible promotion at 30 weeks pregnant.. Help!

(9 Posts)
Mrsambition Wed 20-Mar-13 11:48:40

Posting here as other areas don't get as much attention.

So I am almost 30 weeks pregnant & have been told that I am in line for a promotion. I am the only person in my sector so I would be the obvious choice. Problem is I am leaving work in 3 weeks, taking 9 months maternity. I work shifts which are difficult for Childcare as it stands. The money wouldn't be much of a rise in fact not much more than minimum wage!

I want to work & I don't think we could afford for me to become a SAHM but I am stuck in a field which I don't want to stay in forever. However the job is an area I enjoy & like doing. It all sounds negative as I read it back but there's something nagging at me to consider it.... any advice appreciated.

ExpatAl Wed 20-Mar-13 12:24:53

If you need to work afterwards then I would accept the promotion. It could lead to something else in return and a rise is a rise. The childcare is a tricky one though and I guess you would have to pay more with an extra dc? Does it even out?

Mrsambition Mon 08-Apr-13 14:45:49

Turns out a few things have changed, wages are much better than originally posted. However I am
Now not the only person in the department & this person has applied for the same position! They havnt has much experience but will obv be there when I can't be! Advice appreciated for interview please which is tomorrow!!

JBrd Mon 08-Apr-13 15:03:31

I'd treat it as any other interview, regardless of being pg or not. Ppoint out why you would be the best person for the job, your experience, knowledge etc., just go for it. They cannot hold your pregnancy against you (well, technically anyway).
By this stage you will probably have thought about what will happen when you're not there, in terms of cover etc., would that still apply for the new position? And would the childcare issues be drastically different?

Don't think about what will be when you go back to work, who knows what the situation will be then? So much can happen by then, you never know. I'd say if you like and enjoy the job and if you think it's likely that you will go back after having had your DC, go for it. And even if you don't, go for it anyway. What have you got to loose?

Good luck! x

worsestershiresauce Mon 08-Apr-13 15:51:18

Go for it, and don't make the interview about your pregnancy, make it about your skills. Be honest though with yourself and your employer. Don't say you will work hours/days/shifts if you have no intention of doing so as it will come back to bite you on the bum. If you are the best candidate they will be keen to accommodate you.

Mrsambition Tue 09-Apr-13 22:10:00

Hi the interview went ok! They let the sucsessful applicant know in 2 weeks, one week after I leave.... unsure what to make of that as I presumed they would let us know this week considering its effectively to cover my leave! Anyway thanks for the advice, it made me feel a bit more confident going into the interview smile

VBisme Tue 09-Apr-13 22:18:32

You may well get it.

I interviewed a clearly pregnant woman, but we discussed her options and I gave her the job anyway - it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Mrsambition Wed 17-Apr-13 13:16:48

I got it!!! They said I was the perfect choice & interviewed really well. They have given me great extras I wasn't expecting smile on maternity leave now and feeling great about the outcome & the future.

dottypyjamas Wed 17-Apr-13 17:39:13

Congratulations!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now