Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SMP for private piano teacher

(10 Posts)
HenD19 Sat 16-Feb-13 06:40:05

Thanks for all your responses. I am self employed and will check entitlement as suggested at job centre. I won't tell if u won't katiemiddleton though going by your name you may have friends in high places!

soupmaker Fri 15-Feb-13 09:46:23

I think you are most likely to be freelance/self employed at the school. You need to check your employment status with them. If you a member of the Musicians Union, they can give you advice about whether you would be eligible for SMP via an employer or whether you should apply for MA via the job centre. SMP and MA are paid at the same level for the same number of weeks.

KatieMiddleton Fri 15-Feb-13 09:31:23

Just as an aside we don't know nearly enough from the current posts to be able to establish the op's employment status.

KatieMiddleton Fri 15-Feb-13 09:29:09

How are you paying tax and NI?

I don't understand the bit about being employed but invoicing? Are you teaching anyone the school says you have to, or just specific pupils? What would happen if you just didn't turn up one day?

To be entitled to anything you have to have paid some national insurance. What you get and how you claim depends on your employment status and NI contributions.

Just because you are paid cash in hand by many pupils does not excuse you from keeping accounts and declaring your income. Are you registered as self employed with hmrc? Do you complete a tax return?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 15-Feb-13 08:50:42

Sounds like you are self employed, do you not pay class 2 contributions? It's about £10 a month, if you are upto date on them you should get maternity allowance. Maybe ring the job centre as they send out the forms I think?

WendyWillow Fri 15-Feb-13 08:15:35

How do you account for your income and how do you pay Tax and NI? Do you have a Ltd company or would you class yourself as self employed?

Knowsabitabouteducation Fri 15-Feb-13 07:06:29

It sounds like you are a contractor rather than employee.

HenD19 Fri 15-Feb-13 07:04:37

I am employed by the school but haven't signed a contract. I invoice them every few weeks. No tax or national insurance is taken from my payments from them. I've taught at the school for 1 1/2 yrs. Quite a lot of my private pupils give me cash in hand. I'm just not sure if I'm entitled to any sort of maternity pay/benefits that everyone is entitled to?

KatieMiddleton Thu 14-Feb-13 22:00:59

Are you an employee of the school or do you just provide your services there to more private students? And if you are an employee how long will you have you been employed when you reach 25 weeks pg.

Have you paid class II National Insurance Cintributions? And if so for how long when you reach 25 weeks pg?

HenD19 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:56:13

I teach piano privately at home and for one morning a week in a local high school. I'm not sure what to do about maternity pay. Any ideas anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now