Possibility of Homebirth (Mum with Thyroid issues?)(31 Posts)
I've browsed a fair few of the home birth threads in Pregnancy and in Childbirth - so not 100% where to post this! It could land in either...
I had my second midwife appointment today, with (as it turns out) a midwife who is retiring in 2 weeks time.
Anyway, at the first midwife appointment, when asked what my birth plan was I didn't really know what to say. (I admit.. I did answer "Have a baby...??" being a bit naive about it all...)
Having thought about it, I figured I'd ask the MW if there was any reason I couldn't have a home birth. Really not sure I'm going to be having any more (not for want of trying, just seeing how long it took to get PG this time around!)
MW advised against a homebrith due to being treated for an underactive thyroid (for the past god knows how many years...), and the fact that it's my first baby.
She did suggest I ask the Obstetrician consultant type person who is involved in my "case" due to thryoid thing. (Just for info - started out as over-active thryoid (hyper...) and was then sent 'under' (hypo) by radioactive iodine when about 19 years old)
So - has anyone else out there with thyroid issues been told this?
Is this just the MW being careful as she's retiring in a couple of weeks?
Should I stick out for what I want? (So far the pregnancy has been fine, no morning sickness, no problems at all). All was fine at the last consultant's appointment.
I know people won't be able to comment specifically on my case, however if anyone can advise regarding their own experiences I'd be most grateful!
Ahh - thanks Bartlett, that makes sense. And thankyou in general for providing an expert view as I have been worrying myself sick trawling medical journals and struggling with the home/hospital decisions as the process at the clinic seems to be wait four hours, get five minutes chat and not really any explanation. I am not medically trained at all but have access to all the research databases at work (so I do worry that maybe I should stop looking as a little knowledge is always a dangerous thing!).
I've just lost a bit of trust I think.
i read this and get more and more worried. at 10 weeks my TSH was >100 at 14 weeks on 150mg it was 52. I'm now on 200mg and will get bloods done again on thursday. when i asked what harm this could do to baby my consultant (who was shocked to see me back for second appointment) said she was suprised i had got / stayed pg at all and all we can do is wait and see. I know she's probably right but would like to know worst case so can prepair mentally. should i be asking any perticular Q's at 20week scan?
really hope you don't mind me asking.
Oh, Rosie, that sounds hard.
I'm not going to be able to say much that will reassure you properly because we just won't know until the baby is born. There also won't be much that they'll be able to tell you about your scan other than all the usual sort of stuff. I imagine they will probably go growth scans to check the baby's growth in the later stages of pregnancy.
What is known is the maternal hypothyroidism does increase the risk of miscarriage, pre-eclampsia, placental abnormalities, low birth weight infants, and postpartum haemorrhage. It may also have an effect on the baby's IQ.
What is clear is that the vast majority of pregnancies will be completely uncomplicated. The important thing is that you are on correct treatment now and are under close review by a consultant. I can't tell you not to worry because I am a mother and I would (and am about my own pregnancy complications!) but there is very little we can do other than wait and see.
I'm so pleased there is someone here that knows what she's talking about, so difficult to find the energy to argue with gps but in the met important of circumstances. Fingers crossed Rosie you get sorted out.
thank you bartlet
i agree christelle2207 it's very reasuring to have someone to ask.
every day is one day closer
I got my blods back yesterday and THS is down to 18 (T3 /T4 in normal limits) so we're getting there. will speak to const' on monday re increse by 25mg? 3 weeks till scan seems endless! x
Join the discussion
Please login first.