Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Okay So What Do I Need?

(9 Posts)
PhieEl06 Wed 23-Jan-13 20:02:40

I'm 18, this is my first baby & I'm only 14+4 but I've been panicking the last couple of weeks that although I'm excited & feeling capable emotionally I have no idea what I'll need for a baby & myself in the run up, I know things like a cot, nappies etc but it would be really great if someone had the time that they could either give a comprehensive list of things I'd need or point me towards a website with this info. I feel like I'm being a bit stupid but at the same time I feel really lost. & also I know it's early for me to start this but I at least want to get together a list of what I need, I want to feel prepared & do want to start buying the odd thing here & there as well as budgeting what kind of money I need.
Thanks in advance.

Cheffie100 Wed 23-Jan-13 21:02:32

Try finding some books to read. Gina Ford content little baby book has a really good list. You may want to read the rest too as gives some good parenting advice. You will be fine

sittinginthesun Wed 23-Jan-13 21:10:45

Congratulations! There are loads of parenting books with loads of lists. smile

If you go to your local library, there will be a parenting section. You could borrow a few and compare.

PhieEl06 Wed 23-Jan-13 21:15:00

Thanks both, at the moment I'm reading Pregnancy for Modern Girls, great for the whole making you feel better about yourself not so much in preparation. Will certainly try looking for both of those.

ThedementedPenguin Wed 23-Jan-13 21:20:28

Hello and congrats on your pregnancy.

During the pregnancy you'll not need much, just some maternity clothes which you can buy quite cheap on eBay. I find its better to keep an eye on it as you never know what you'll find.

You will need to decide whether you want to bf or ff your baby. If bf I think people say not to buy anything too soon (but I'm not really sure on that one), however if you are formula feeding you will need bottles, sterliser. Maybe have a look online as there is loads of choices and sometimes babies can be quite picky.

For your hospital bag: which I know is ages away, (I started a thread on here ages ago under a different nn but you can search for hospital bag)
Basically you'll need
Nightie and pjs for after
Pads big thick ones (tescos ones are brilliant only £1)
Clothes for baby
Nappies
Possibly formula and bottles (depends on hospital)
Toiletries.
That's the basics I can think of others can add to.

So for when babies born:
Clothes (I mean sleep suits and vests)
Nappies
Food eg formula or bf
Somewhere for baby to sleep. (Moses basket/cot)
Bibs and Muslins.

Okay I can't think of anything else but I'm sure I've forgotten something. I will come back if I think of anything else.

Oh one last thing some babies are very sickly and could need changing every hour but not all.

Congrats again. smile

Indith Wed 23-Jan-13 21:35:59

What you need- a very basic list.

Somewhere to sleep: Where will that be? You don't need cribs or moses basket etc, you just need either your bed (co sleeping- perfectly safe but do look it up. Helen Ball has done some great sleep studies so start there) or a normal, full sized cot. The basic Ikea one is great and cheap.

Something to catch poo and wee. Nappies. Not too many newborn size as they grow out of them fast! Cloth is much cheaper in the long run and you can get everything you need preloved for very little money. Find your local FB selling pages, see if there are parenting specific ones and hang out there.

Something to eat- if breast feeding just some lansinoh for your nipples, a couple of nursing bras and some breast pads. If bottle feeding then an ice cream tub and a pack of milton tablets for sterilising plus some bottles and formula. Don;'t buy bottles and breast pump "just in case" if breast feeding. If it doesn't work out for you then get what you need then. If you want to express to give yourself a break then you can hand express (kellymom website great for tips on all aspects of breast feeding) and cup feed the baby using an ordinary cup.

Something to wear- get to Asda or Sainsburys for good, cheap clothes. 10 bodysuits, 10 sleepsuits, 3 cardigans and 2 coats will do you. People will buy presents and online shopping is great! Get 0-3 size which is bigger than newborn. If your baby is tiny then someone can always nip to the shops to get you smaller clothes, if your baby is average then they may look a bit big for the first 2/3 weeks but then he will grow into them and he won't care if they are big! If he is big then they will fit right away.

Some mode of transport for a car- Get the best carseat that you can afford. Never second hand unless you know for certain that is ha not been involved in a crash, don't take the word of a stranger for granted. If a family member or friend you trust has one then great but the lifespan of a seat is 5-8 years as the plastic deteriorates over time so even a seat with a clean history may not be safe if it is old.

Mode of transport for outside the car- pushchair or sling. Not a highstreet carrier but a proper sling. THe best way to investigate slings is to see if you have a sling library near you so you can try out different kinds before you buy. If you want a pushchair then go to a big shop and play wiht lots. Don't get a big heavy travel system as you will be cursing it when the baby is a 10 month old elephant. Get something that is easy to store, easy to use (reclines and sits back up easily, wheel lock turns on and off easily, brakes are good) and that doens't cost the earth. Chances are when teh baby is older you will ditch it and get a stroller anyway.

Toys- all babies are different. Some will be happy to be put down and to watch you for entertainment. If you have one of those then you might want to get a bouncy chair to pop them in and a mat they can play on with a few cheap toys like rattles and stacking cups, bits of ribbon, scrunched up balls of foil, wooden spoons (much of this comes later, around 3/4 months, before then all they need in their life really is you and milk). Some babies are like velcro and prefer to watch the world from your arms. This is where a bouncy chair and stuff would be a complete waste of money and you will need to refer to the above about slings in order to save your sanity.

That's about it. Babies can use your bath, you have to hold them in a baby bath anyway! They can use your towels rather than needing baby ones, people will buy clothes, more teddies than you know what to do with and other toys and you can pick bits up as you go along in charity shops etc.

Don't bother with books. Your baby won't have ready them.

xlatia Wed 23-Jan-13 21:37:17

congrats OP! my advice would be not to buy too much in the run-up. you'll figure out soon enough after the birth what you really need and can always pop out and get it.

Penguin's list is pretty good, i'd add:
pram/sling
quite possibly a car seat

as for breastfeeding: you might want to get 2 or 3 nursing bras. but i really wouldn't get them until say 36/37 weeks as most women do expand considerably. if possible get them fitted, jojomamanbebe do fab ones for 15 quid a piece. also: breast pads and lansinoh (or similar, costs a bomb but is a godsend for cracked nipples).

all the best and congrats again!

xlatia Wed 23-Jan-13 21:40:39

and another thought: apart from a car seat, we got EVERYTHING for DS second-hand (ebay, freecycle, charity shop, local facebook group). miles cheaper than new stuff and newborns grow stupidly quick, so no point in spending shedloads of money on stuff they'll only wear twice.

Indith Wed 23-Jan-13 21:45:43

Charity shops are ace! However Asda do packs of vests for example at £4 for a pack of 4 which can work out cheaper than charity shops. I still buy most of my dcs clothes second hand though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now