Advanced search

Anyone else snowed in and baby due?

(34 Posts)
WocketInMyPocket Fri 18-Jan-13 18:54:26

If so, just wondering what your contingency plans are?

We now cannot get out of our road due to the snow and I wouldn't be able to walk to the main road (especially not in labour!), but I am presuming that some sort of 4 wheeled drive paramedic vehicle would be able to come in an emergency? Booked in for a homebirth but pretty unlikely now as the midwifes wouldn't make it to the house sad

MrsHBaby3 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:39:57

If youre a planned homebirth I think youre in the best place to stay put and let the mw worry and organise about getting to you!

wouldyoupleasemove Wed 23-Jan-13 20:45:56

Congratulations! Still waiting here

TeaMakesItAllPossible Wed 23-Jan-13 14:26:49

Congratulations. Snow babies. My favourite.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 23-Jan-13 12:43:49

My snow baby arrived yesterday - made it to the MLU no problem but then had to be blue-lighted to the main city hospital. Couldn't see the snow and was hyped up on various drugs by then so it was all fine from my point of view! DH said his drive home last night was a bit hairy, but I was kept in so oblivious to it all. Lovely!

TeaMakesItAllPossible Tue 22-Jan-13 15:45:00

<sobs at thread>

He was born on the same day as my boy. Brought it all back.

The other thing it reminded me of is midwife visits after baby. My first couple were on the phone because they couldn't get to me. It might be worth asking at the hospital for information if they can't make it to you - especially about establishing BF - and a thermometer if you don't have one.

TeaMakesItAllPossible Tue 22-Jan-13 15:15:42

Don't worry. This happened to me three years ago. I was a planned home birth. I live in a very steep hill and the day my waters broke almost a foot of snow dropped. The midwife was able to walk up the hill to do the initial assessment but she couldn't get the kit up the hill to do the home birth safely.

Basically I was given the instructions to call 999 when I got to progressed labour. We did - knowing my last stage is very quick. A paramedic was sent. They usually have snow enabled rapid response cars. I was too far advanced to go in his car though so I had to wait for the 4x4 green ambulance - they have them for farmers apparently confused.

A lovely couple of guys turned up and got me into the van. There were a couple of hairy moments when they had to change their planned direction. They had to stop a couple of times to check me out due to jolting. But I was too advanced to care. Got to hospital and baby arrived within 25 mins.

I felt i had help at every stage from the 999 assistant who stayed on the phone until rapid response arrived - giving husband instructions on what he'd need; from rapid response who told me he'd delivered babies before; through to the guys in the ambulance. They all knew what they were doing.

The problem I hadn't anticipated was getting home the next day. We had to walk up hills with 13 hour baby. Take warm clothes for the baby is my only tip!

Good luck. Every time it snows I think of people giving birth now.

eagleray Tue 22-Jan-13 13:10:55

Any snow babies yet?

We had more snow last night (mostly gone now from roads) but heavier snow forecast for later.

I am totally through with worrying about contingency plans now (community MW told me today that they get no help whatsoever with special transportation) so will just keep my fingers crossed...

wouldyoupleasemove Mon 21-Jan-13 09:30:07

Baby looked like it might come this weekend but all signs have stopped. It's hard to go into labour when you are obsessing about weather. By the way, the snow mountain rescue thread IS reassuring !

WeAreEternal Mon 21-Jan-13 07:42:27

Obviously it is different everywhere but my friend is a midwife, and they have all been supplied with off road vehicles. Usually they use their own cars but they have been told not to risk it.

Hopefully this is the same everywhere.

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 21-Jan-13 06:35:25

I am worried abt this too. 37 weeks and we cant drive anyway! The roads are completely snowed over. The doctors is over the rd so wondering if i could hobble there and see what they can do. But hopefully he will stay put :-( very worrying - dont want my first baby on my kitchen floor like a Corrie special!

comeonbishbosh Mon 21-Jan-13 05:28:23

Oh dear another couple of inches here. This weekend has seen me pouring over forecasts calculating when roads might be more passable but baby obv not interested. Now suspect either baby will come but midwives can't,, or baby won't and it's into hospital for induction on Tues. DD1 coldly and fractious so we're all going a bit stir crazy.

LetThereBeCupcakes Sat 19-Jan-13 12:11:27

I'm due tomorrow and utterly bricking it. The main road nearest us is sheet ice and slopes down to a busy A road at the bottom. With no grip at all cars are just sliding out into the traffic.

No contingency plans here, nothing we can do really. I'm booked in at the local MLU but I highly doubt we'd be able to make it there. Just praying baby stays put, really.

ScottishLassAboutToPass Sat 19-Jan-13 11:06:30

Hi I'm due this week too and my midwife advised to call an ambulance if I went into labour. Last labour was under 1 hour and we live about 40 mins from the hospital. She said it's much easier for them than trying to find you stuck somewhere on the road in and delivering on route.

I too am keeping very still with legs crossed at the mo. Off to read that other thread now...

eagleray Sat 19-Jan-13 09:56:23

Was due yesterday and in a similar situation to others here - live on a steep hill which hasn't been gritted, supposed to be having a home birth and a bit cut off at the moment!

As soon as the snow was forecast a few days ago, I got in touch with the council to make sure they would grit the road and they said no (it's a narrow road, but heavily used and notorious for being impassable in the snow). Ended up getting really stressed and upset and my BP shot up so ended up being monitored in hospital. Added complication of DP working away all week (2+ hours from home)

In the end, the snow fell, road is still impassable and no baby! Kind of glad it didn't happen yesterday but also slightly feel the baby has stood me up sad (there's quite a bit of pressure on me to be induced next week).

My contingency plans now consist of having DP's car parked v close to main road (would take about 5 mins to reach it) and also have contact details for a couple of local 4x4 owners.

All the very best of luck to everyone waiting. I will read that thread from last year later - think I'm feeling strong enough to cope with the details!

comeonbishbosh Sat 19-Jan-13 08:15:13

I had my DC1 as planned home birth 3 yrs ago. It snowed heavily and suddenly just before evening rush hour (big northern city). Though we live on a steep untreated road only 100m or so from an treated one, the main problem was that the city went into gridlock and midwives and gas&air delivery taxi all caught in traffic.

The good news is that tho my labour progressed quicker than expected, I was 10cm when mw 1 got here, we all managed fine, never panicked, midwives were brilliant and even a 3rd mw came out midnight ish to do stitches. If I had needed to transfer an ambulance would have got to me. The way I look at it far better that midwives were stuck in the traffic not me trying to get to hospital!

Now - ha ha ha - in same situation again as overdue with DC2 another planed home birth. Friends think this is hillarous of course! I just hang onto knowing not to underestimate midwives... They are a game bunch and they will get here if they possibly can!

Good luck everyone!

Twattybollocks Fri 18-Jan-13 22:09:10

Almost 37 weeks and have my legs firmly crossed! Dh is staying at his grandads 30 miles away tonight and is now stuck due to snow at least until tomorrow.

LimeLeafLizard Fri 18-Jan-13 22:01:14

That mountain rescue thread sounds amazing! But I am not going to read it now in case it makes me more worried!

OP, that is always an option, to take DC with you to the hospital, although not sure what they'd say on labour ward if I turned up with my 3 little boys! Thinking about it now, my brother was born in winter and I went to the hospital in an ambulance with my parents and was collected from there by my grandparents.

Snow chains are a good idea... will get DH to look into it. Also trying to think if any of my local friends have a 4x4, but no-one comes to mind.

Moomins, my friend has that, had a stitch each time, and still went overdue twice, and only just before her due date third time, so hopefully you'll be the same and therefore still have time for the snow to melt!

FX we'll all be able to keep our legs crossed and will be fine!

Moominsarescary Fri 18-Jan-13 21:42:35

I'm nearly 37 weeks but have incompetant cervix and the stitch was removed a week ago so it has crossed my mind.

Hoping an ambulance could make it through

wouldyoupleasemove Fri 18-Jan-13 21:33:31

Aha thanks v much! Foo

FoofFighter Fri 18-Jan-13 21:00:25

FoofFighter Fri 18-Jan-13 20:59:05

Remember that thread grin will try and find it.

trustissues75 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:55:26

I was living in NH, US and went into labor in the biggest snow storm of the season - I basically went in before i was in established labor and it was a good job i did - i think every full term woman went into labor in the vicinity that morning too - utter chaos. They had to turn triage into makeshift delivery cubicles.

I too would love to see that mw via mountain rescue thread.

wouldyoupleasemove Fri 18-Jan-13 20:25:36

I'm utterly terrible about linking threads but basically woman planning home birth got stuck in heavy snow and went into labour. They managed to get her midwife via mountain rescue and all of mumsnet was utterly gripped. It made the papers and everything. Hope someone with more technical expertise comes along and links (hopeful face) shock

colleysmill Fri 18-Jan-13 20:07:16

This happened to my friend in the snow of 2010 - the snow came down thick and quick and travel was horrendous. A 4x4 volunteer picked her up and all was well.

Numbthumbs Fri 18-Jan-13 20:03:21

Im 39+5, due sunday. Im terrified! We are pretty much snowed in and am relying on parents to come here in taxi to look after 18mo DD so that me and DP can get taxi to hospital. I started a thread a week or so ago about whether i could call an ambulance if a taxi couldnt get out and most people agreed that i could but my MW said i shouldnt unless i had actually delivered!!

No pineapples, curry, sex or bouncing on ball for me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now