Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

PTSD and concealing pregnancy

(7 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Wed 16-Jan-13 19:44:31

Ok. Two questions.

1. Has anyone had PTSD (not AND) before or during pregnancy caused by a previous delivery and can you tell me what support you had and what consequences if any there were? By PM if you dont want it on forum. I was dx with PTSD four weeks ago but there is no MH support despite the known risks to mum and baby from PTSD in pregnancy. I was told hy the consulant they could book me in for a CS and if i wanted I could take a tour of the delivery suite and watch somine give birth.

2. Has anyone not shared the news of a pregnancy with anyone other than their dh and medical staff? I'm 19+3 and not told a soul. Dont want to either but obviously will have to at some point. Probably connnected to my question above as to why we haven't mentioned this baby but I also just want to he left alone. If you did manage to hide the pregnancy longer than the 12/13 weeks how did friends and family greet the news?

Much appreciated.

grainmum Wed 16-Jan-13 21:05:59

Surely even if there's no specific maternal mental health service you should be able to access standard mental health services via the GP? Sorry don't have any more specific advice or experience.

stella1w Wed 16-Jan-13 21:23:25

I had ptsd after my 2nd delivery. Gp etc useless, paid for six private emdr sessions and was cured. I don,t see how watching someone give birth will help you. Ptsd is a malfunction of the brain. Pls try to get an emdr referral asap to try to get over the ptsd.

fanjobiscuits Wed 16-Jan-13 23:21:27

I am 17 wks at the wkend and still not told most people. I just feel like it's no one else's business.

lovethesun1 Thu 17-Jan-13 10:51:41

I had PTSD after my first dc,caused by a combo of the delivery & subsequent problems. I also had 6 sessions of emdr which helped beyond any expectations I had. I feel 'normal' again. I am 27wks with my second & we have been a bit more reserved this time,didn't hide the pg but haven't been as vocal about it. We had 2 m/c in between so I think that coloured our view too. I personally don't think watching anyone give birth would have helped me with my issues. Hope you find something that works for you.

lovethesun1 Thu 17-Jan-13 10:55:14

Sorry meant to add,I haven't flagged this up with my current midwifery team as I rarely see them & just don't want to talk to them about it. I don't feel I need to. But there is specific support available-I have seen posters in the hosp with contact details for an ante/post natal MH team. Do you think that would be helpful for you?

Lionsntigersnbears Thu 17-Jan-13 11:26:49

just in answer to your second question, I'm 18 weeks at the moment and I've not told work, despite being the size I was at 6 months with DC1. I can't tell them for bizarre reasons and will have to leave it for another 4 weeks at least so I'm just thumping about in big cardigans and long flowing scarves. I have no idea if I'm fooling anyone :-D but no-one's mentioned it yet. I will say that my family were plenty peeved that I didn't tell them earlier than the 12 week scan, because, understandably they think of themselves as in the nearest and dearest category - which they are- and therefore that they should have been told before. So not to add to your burdens, but I would think carefully about how to frame your news when you do tell family so their feelings aren't hurt. Its awful isn't it? We're the ones with the bumps but strangely we're having to be responsible for everyone else's feelings. Totally unfair.

I really can't see how touring the delivery suite and seeing a birth (!) is going to help. I freak out watching OBEM! I would certainly look into counselling and perhaps look at getting a doula if you decide to not have a CS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now