Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes?

(4 Posts)
veggie77 Wed 16-Jan-13 17:59:41

Got diagnosed last week. Been feeling bummed out ever since. Have to stick to a restricted carbohydrate diet and test my blood sugars 4 times a day. Can't believe I'm on this regime for the next 11 weeks til I give birth. Risks to the baby seem scary too. Would be good to hear about other Mums netters experiences of this so far!

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 16-Jan-13 18:30:54

Hi Veggie

I was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago and was also put on the diet, with testing 4 times per day.

I was rapidly scheduled also to some growth scans at 32, 36 and 40 weeks.

At 32 weeks my fluid levels were at the highest end of normal, and baby was on the 69th centile.

At 36 weeks (this week), my fluid levels were down and baby was on the 53rd centile.

Do you know what your GTT results were and how over the limits you were?

At the outset, I felt exactly the same and like a disappointment. But the time will fly by and if it helps manage your baby's growth (with or without having to go onto metformin or insulin) and thereby minimises problems for baby later, and intervention post-birth, then it will be worth it.

I have ended up spending lots more money since then on ensuring I have the right snacks, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and finding good recipes for dinners.

It was really important to me (being used to eating what I wanted and when) that I could open the fridge and find something tasty (to me!) like blueberries and greek yoghurt, or a piece of cheese, or carrot sticks with humous that I'd made in advance.

You'll quickly learn how your body responds to certain carbs, so don't feel upset if you get a couple of high readings in the first couple of weeks until you work things out.

I've also been eating more, smaller meals rather than my previous habit of enormous meals plus dessert in a single sitting! It's been a real education. Plus I have found it very important to meal plan over the coming few days, and be in control of what is in the house, and what I cook & eat. Then it becomes less of a 'oh my god, I can't eat anything' internal debate each day.

The main challenge for me is going out though. Even at the hospital this week, their food court was really limited in terms of what I could eat - it was carb hell!! To avoid starving therefore, I always carry a small snack or two to tide me over.

I've only just started getting excited again about the baby arriving since the diagnosis. It has definitely changed my options for birth, but at this stage, all you want is a healthy baby, regardless of what it means. Having controlled my GD so well with diet, I don't need an early induction - I will go to term - and although I can't use my hospital's midwife-led centre, I know that it will all be fine in the end.

Plus my experience from my antenatal class is that actually - every woman is dealing with something challenging in pregnancy: SPD, low-lying placenta, relationship issues, pains, heartburn, and this is just another one of those things.

The future of course means a higher risk of diabetes later in life, but quite frankly, it could have happened anyway, so I'm just not going to bother worrying about it (plus am going to order some Haribo for post-baby!!).

If I can be of help, then let me know.

Wheels79 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:10:17

Not recently diagnosed exactly but like MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet diagnosed about 7 weeks ago.

I've been a bit up and down with it but generally OK and have been able to deal with it diet alone. At first I went a bit extreme and basically went all Atkins and ate virtually no carbs. Ended up with keytones in my urine (which is where your body turns fat into sugar) which explained why my first thing in the morning bloods were higher than my last thing at night bloods. Apparently very dangerous and made me very miserable (ended up with two days off for stress). Consultant told me to eat properly including carbs. Am even able to eat some chocolate (incidentaly chocolate is not all that terrible because there is the milk protein and fats).

Hard times over Christmas - no one was taking my roast potatoes away from me and I do love the quality street.

Top tips from me:
- Don't go anywhere near Chinese. Seriously seriously awful even if you avoid rice.
- Make sure you wash your hands really well before testing. I realised that one of my hand washes had fruit juice in it - high result. Also didn't wash fruit based bump massage oil off properly and it went off the scale.
- Sugar free jelly and cream (not ice cream or evaporated milk) - yummy dessert
- No added sugar strawberry crusha - still has sugar but not too bad for a treat
- Cheese and pepperami snacks
- If you have an indian go for the dry meats e.g. lamb tikka and lentil based sides rather than rice. Daal and I are friends now.
- Lots and lots of eggs for breakfast.

Also my consultant said that some people just do need insulin. It's not your fault if you are one of those people.

I have found the whole thing quite fascinating seeing what has the biggest impact. My weight (which was way too high before unplanned but not unwelcome pregnancy) was doing OK even before diagnosis but up to 10 days ago (last time I was weighed) I was exactly the same as my booking in appointment. Maybe a low carb approach might help with weight loss in the future...

My growth scans are showing I'm near to normal but my consultant is doing a sweep at 37+5 just to see if things can get going a bit early anyway.

The only thing I am now dreading is the repeat GTT six weeks after the birth - I now know that Lucozade is vile.

wanderingalbatross Thu 17-Jan-13 11:46:02

Not diagnosed yet, but I had it in my first pregnancy and have a GTT soon as am pregnant with 2nd. It was insulin controlled last time and so I'm fully expecting to get it again. My tips are

- eggs for breakfast
- I used to eat 2/3 of my dinner and then the remaining 1/3 before bed. Also, smaller lunch and more substantial afternoon snack
- if you have to use it, insulin is less painful than the finger prick test
- plan for labour as hospital food isn't very friendly. I was induced and took in food from home to see me through.
- read up on what might happen post-birth. DD was very sleepy and wouldn't feed, so ended up with low blood sugar and a couple of formula top ups. Went on to bf her for a year, but wish I'd had better advice in the first couple of days to get breastfeeding started.

On the plus side, being careful with my diet meant I didn't put on loads of weight and was back to pre-pg size very quickly. Also, I did feel healthier and had more energy after the diagnosis as in general a low-GI diet is better for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now