Talk

Advanced search

Help with dating pregnancy

(10 Posts)
MissRaindrop Wed 16-Jan-13 15:08:51

Hi everyone! New to this & no knowledge of pregnancy before & would really appreciate any help. Tested positive in Dec, last time of month approx 30/10/12. Thought I was 10 or 11 weeks according to websites. Lots of pain in lower abdomen & also bleeding, had one of those uncomfortable scans at hospital & they say it looks like I am only 5 or 6 weeks & to go back in a week to look for progress. Cramps keep coming & going & I know blood isn't normal. Does this sound like it is not going to work out for the best? Appreciate any help at all. I am older & it may cause more issues. Thank you.

lovemybabyboy Wed 16-Jan-13 15:56:36

According to your lmp then you should be 11+1wks pregnant today, however it depends on if you have regular periods or not. are you periods regular? could you have ovulated later than expected?
Pain and bleeding does not sound good however I always get cramps in early pregnancy due to my womb stretching (I think) and I bled throughout my last pregnancy due to cervical erosion so these signs do not always mean the worst.
If I was you I would try to rest as much as possible untill your scan next week. I'm sorry I don't have any answers but I really do hope you have a good outcome. thanks brew

MissRaindrop Wed 16-Jan-13 16:21:29

Thank you so much for that, so helpful. It is worrying about them thinking it was only 5 weeks sad I guess Monday's scan will tell. Was supposed to have my first ante natal appointment at the drs today but they had double booked me & could not see midwife. Would have been helpful even to chat as it is scary when it's all new. My time of the month was usually regular & would have been about now (wondering if that may be connected to the bleeding now) but still doesn't explain that the scan looked 5 weeks. Thanks so much for your helpful reply, it's good to hear cramps can be normal - just don't want to take too many painkillers but have never felt pain like it sad will let you know how I get on. Xx

MissRaindrop Thu 17-Jan-13 18:30:08

Hi again, well cramps not so bad today although still in pain & still blood however still have to wait until Monday for The Early Pregnancy Unit to rescan (hopefully not an internal one this time please god) Just wanted to ask if they thought I was just 5/6 weeks earlier this week & if I thought I was 10/11 is it possible they might see much more at my next scan? I am probably prepared for the worst but is there a tiny chance things may improve by Monday? I see from other posts sometimes they can be a week or so out but can it be a few weeks out & suddenly show progress? Sorry my knowledge is so poor on this subject but appreciate any help - this would be our first baby (age 39) and i was so happy when dr confirmed test positive in december but now its so confusing xx

FoofFighter Thu 17-Jan-13 18:57:56

Yes, it can be a few weeks out if your periods are very irregular as you wouldn't know exactly when you ovulated and therefore conceived. Obviously cannot comment on the possibility of that and everything being ok, or that you are possibly miscarrying but hoping for a good outcome for you on Monday x

BTW, Paracetamol and co-codamol is fine to take in pregnancy, if you need it, take it, please don't be in pain needlessly. If the pain is too much to cope with at home, then I'd advise getting some medical advice from OOH gp or NHS direct etc.

MissRaindrop Thu 17-Jan-13 19:05:34

Thank you thank you thank you, that's all I had hoped to hear. It is all so new & feel completely incompetent about it all sad thank you foo fighter! The hospital did say to take paracetamol which was a blessing as did not realise that you could do that - they will not see me back before mon as you can't have two internal scans too close together or something but if it got worse I could go to A&E. It's all very scary, did not imagine pain was part of first trimester. Thanks again, really appreciate your help. Xx

FoofFighter Thu 17-Jan-13 19:07:53

The guidelines are to have a scan around a week apart to confirm growth smile or sadly mc sad

MissRaindrop Thu 17-Jan-13 19:10:07

It is ok I am prepared but it's awful having to wait so long I think u just want to know then & there sad thx for that - still waiting to meet my mw but may be too late now sad

FoofFighter Thu 17-Jan-13 19:15:27

I know how it feels, have been there with them telling me that my baby might suddenly grow by the next scan when I knew it wouldn't as it was very obviously not a 9+ weeker, had barely made it past 6 weeks sad it's very hurtful to not be acknowledged and have to wait to be told what you already know sad

thanks

MissRaindrop Thu 17-Jan-13 19:48:13

I am so sorry to hear that foo, that is just horrific xxx I need to pray for a miracle I think x just when I thought I was coping & reading your message I know I'm not - I hope things worked out for you & you had another little one xx life is so unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now