Talk

Advanced search

Not felt a kick since 5-6am....

(19 Posts)
mildred37 Wed 16-Jan-13 13:14:39

..and usually been booted to death by now. How long before I can reasonably begin to panic? I don't want to bother the midwife unneccesarily.

Pozzled Wed 16-Jan-13 13:17:27

Get checked out. You don't need to panic- that doesn't help anyone! But you should go and get monitored, any change in the usual movements needs to be assessed.

noblegiraffe Wed 16-Jan-13 13:19:09

Phone the hospital right now. It's probably fine, but if you've normally felt movement by now then it needs monitoring.

Missingthemincepies Wed 16-Jan-13 13:34:42

I agree. The time to phone is when you've realised something's not as it normally is. So that's now. Am sure it'll turn out to be nothing but you'd never forgive yourself if you waited and a problem could have been prevented.
Good luck.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 16-Jan-13 13:36:39

Go in.

It will likely be OK, however they absoloutley do not mind you going in. Theyll put a band roubd your tummy for a bit and give you a button to pish every time you feel a kick. I went in a couple of times when pg.

Better to go in and be fine than not go in and it not be fine.

frasersmummy Wed 16-Jan-13 13:38:56

yip I'm with everyone else.. go in and get checked.

I am praying for a happyt and safe outcome for you

ShowOfHands Wed 16-Jan-13 13:39:15

If you're post about 26 weeks and your regular pattern of movement has changed in any way, contact your midwife. You aren't bothering them, it's their job!

MyLastDuchess Wed 16-Jan-13 13:39:18

Yep, get checked out. The thing is, you can't tell whether checking is 'necessary' or not until you do it. So you just have to do it.

Babies love to make everyone panic, and the midwives know it! Chances are your baby will start kicking you like crazy as soon as they hook you up to the monitor. And they will still thank you for coming in and emphasise that you should come back if you're worried again.

I have a DD who is now 7 weeks old, and in the last 2 weeks of the pregnancy I was sent in for monitoring no less than 4 times! As the nurse said to another woman who was apologising for coming in, "We're dealing with human lives here!"

Monitoring is relatively easy and cheap. Losing a much-wanted unborn child is just not worth the risk.

ShowOfHands Wed 16-Jan-13 13:52:14

Hope you're on the phone!

To reassure you, changes in patterns of movements/not feeling things for a few days is common earlier on when the baby is still small enough to move away, tuck down in your pelvis, hide behind the placenta etc. Between 17 and 25 weeks in particular with dd (anterior placenta), I could go for a while with no movement as she was just tucked low down and behind the placenta.

This is why they don't tell you to count the kicks until you're nearing your 3rd trimester.

Of course if you're in your 3rd trimester or you're worried then you should always be seen asap.

mildred37 Wed 16-Jan-13 13:55:59

Thanks for all your replies. I'm at work (in a hospital, on a floor directly below the mat unit!) and have tried to eat and drink something but still nothing. Will call my midwife now.

I'm 22+3, have been feeling regular strong kicks since 18-19 wks.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 16-Jan-13 13:57:13

Ring the ward and ask if you can pop up.

Chopsypie Wed 16-Jan-13 13:59:55

I was told to drink something really sugary, and if that didnt work, come in

TheCatInTheHairnet Wed 16-Jan-13 14:06:14

Also try eating ice or an ice cold glass of water.That works too.

looneytune Wed 16-Jan-13 14:15:55

Let us know how you get on x

mildred37 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:43:44

Okay, panic over. Have felt a couple of kicks and feel alot better now. thanks for all your advice...guess baby was being lazy!

DontmindifIdo Wed 16-Jan-13 14:49:14

I was told when panicking after not feeling DS for a day, to have a shot of espresso and/or a red bull and see what happens. What happened was he went mental and kicked the hell out of me all the way home. That was a looonnnnggg commute and a 'no sleep for mummy' night. but yes, a bit of caffine is worth a go when you're worried.

ShowOfHands Wed 16-Jan-13 15:04:11

Honestly at 22 weeks, when the baby moves position, they can tuck themselves neatly away so you can't feel them. As I said I particularly felt it with dd as my placenta was anterior. I had strong movement from 17 weeks but equally she could hide like a ninja when she wanted to. Once bigger there's nowhere for them to hide!

Glad all's okay.

homeaway Wed 16-Jan-13 16:24:45

Glad all ok , never feel that you are being silly by asking to be monitored, it saved my dd life.

redwellybluewelly Wed 16-Jan-13 19:32:28

Pleased all is well, I hesitated in going to get lack of movements checked and she was left brain damaged from oxygen starvation. Had I moved faster then she woukd probably have been ok that and the fact the stupid doctor induced me rather than crash section

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now