Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

blighted ovum....

(9 Posts)
walnut300 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:20:26

sadly I miscarried two days ago and after an ultrasound scan found that I had suffered from a blighted ovum. I had never heard about this and have now done extensive research on the internet. has anybody else had experience from this and if so how soon did you get pregnant again. I am longing for a baby but now scared that this will happen again.

MimiCooper Fri 11-Jan-13 16:01:42

Im sorry to hear what happened to you..its very sad and i know how you must be feeling, It happened to me twice. Miscarriages from a blighted ovum are often due to problems with chromosomes, the structures that carry genes. This may be from a poor-quality sperm or egg. Or, it may occur due to abnormal cell division. Regardless, your body stops the pregnancy because it recognizes this abnormality.
It's important to understand that you have done nothing to cause this miscarriage and you almost certainly could not have prevented it. For most women, a blighted ovum occurs only once and I was unlucky it happened again. If you are fit and healthy with no underlying medical problems there is no reason why you shouldn't get pregnant again. As to how soon after, there are no guarantees. But considering statistically most women get pregnant within a year of trying, you should just relax and remember it will happen when your body is ready. You can't rush nature and if you got preganant quickly the last time you never know hopefully it'll be the same.
Good Luck smile

Riotgrrrl Fri 11-Jan-13 17:05:57

Hi, I am so sorry you are going through this. It is really rubbish.

I had a blighted ovum which was found at 12 weeks at my dating scan. That was in December 2005. I got pregnant again in march 2006, I only had one full cycle before I conceived again. So I got pregnant again the second month of trying. The epu told me we could try straight away. I am currently 26 weeks with dc4.

Hope that helps x x

walnut300 Sat 12-Jan-13 01:40:43

thank you. smile

Greensleeves Sat 12-Jan-13 01:46:45

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I think we forget sometimes how early in the pregnancy you really love the baby.

Lots of people have a blighted ovum followed by a normal pregnancy. Fingers crossed that that is what happens for you xx

walnut300 Sat 12-Jan-13 05:08:44

it is so comforting to have, these lovely responses, thank you, smile smile

Chottie Sat 12-Jan-13 05:34:06

Yes, I had one. I now have two DC smile

suzexxx Sat 12-Jan-13 15:53:52

I had a blighted ovum pregnancy in May 2012 and by June 2012 i was 4 weeks pregnant again and didnt have a period inbetween. I'm now 33 weeks pregnant. Hope it all works out for you OP.

philbee Sat 12-Jan-13 21:10:08

I had a blighted ovum which they found at 12 wks in July 2011. It took a year for us to get pg again, but I'm 27 wks now. It's not any indicator of a problem, just something that happens. It's a hard time, take care of yourself, OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: