Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Severe back pain at 9 weeks 2 days

(5 Posts)
Ficidy Thu 10-Jan-13 17:29:09

Hi everyone, I'm only just over 9 weeks. We were expecting twins, but found out on Tuesday that one of them didn't make it. It's been a difficult few days, but I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that it wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, since Monday, I've had quite bad back pain in my lower back. It's gotten progressively worse today. I e-mailed my doctor for her advice, but she said it's stretching pains and that my healthy baby looked fine at the scan on Tuesday. I am worried though. I would have thought that it was too early to have extreme back pain (it's really, really bad and I can't even bend over properly to take off my shoes). Did anyone else have pain like this this early and have everything work out okay in the end? I am extremely nervous after the loss of one of my babies, that I'm going to lose this baby too.

I want the truth too, please. If you had this pain and then ended up having a miscarriage, I'd like to hear it. I can go for another scan next week, but it's another €110 and we have already paid €330 for private scans and just don't have the money, which is why I'm looking for your advice. Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post.

Nigglenaggle Thu 10-Jan-13 21:27:38

I had quite sharp stretching pains and a normal pregnancy. Mine were down the front but, like labour pain, probably some feel it down the front and some down the back. I was told at the time that as long as there is no blood accompanying the pain then don't worry, and this turned out to be good advice, for me.

Maybe to reassure yourself you could carry on taking pregnancy tests at home? You can get them cheap in bulk on-line. While it's testing positive, chances are things are going OK?

HJBeans Fri 11-Jan-13 19:02:42

I'm just over 11 weeks and having terrible back pain. Consensus seems to that's a bit early for that but it does happen to some women with no I'll effects. I looked at some links and videos about sacro-iliac pain in pregnancy and it all seems very similar to what's happening to me now. So can't say it turns out ok, but can say you're not alone - and another lady said the same in the thread I started a few days ago.

If it is similar pain to mine, I've found some relief with heating pads, with lying flat with legs elevated a bit, and with stretching the lower back by pulling my tailbone in/down. There was something in one of the videos I saw which explained that as the ligaments in the pelvis loosen due to relaxin, the curve in the lumbar spine gets exaggerated leading to pain. Trying to active straighten that out has helped me more than anything when the pain is at its worst.

Sorry for the loss of your twin. I've miscarried twice before so know how sad/hard this can feel and must be quite a mix of emotion when it's a twin. If it helps at all, this happened to a good friend of mine and she is now a very happy mum to the surviving twin. Best wishes for your pregnancy and hope your back feels better soon.

Ficidy Fri 11-Jan-13 20:56:18

Thank you so much HJBeans. It helps to know that I'm not alone. It's a very frustrating pain, but I'll put up with anything if my baby is born healthy.

Best of luck to you for the rest of your pregnancy too.

Ficidy Fri 11-Jan-13 20:57:35

Sorry Nigglenaggle, some reason I only saw your post after I replied! Yes, hopefully it's all just stretching pains. I guess we'd worry about anything in pregnancy, wouldn't we?! Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: