Talk

Advanced search

Feeling movements ?

(14 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Tue 08-Jan-13 09:17:00

I am 18 + 2 and am yet to feel any movement, this is my first pregnancy and I am aware I might not feel anything until nearer 20 weeks but I am still paranoid ! I am also a bit fatter than I would like to be and wondered if this makes any difference to feeling movement ? we heard the heartbeat at 16 weeks and was told it was good and string bt I am worrying something has gone wrong inbetween.

simbaandblue Tue 08-Jan-13 09:31:34

Hello! I started feeling flutterings at about 15 weeks (this is my first pregnancy and I am now 35 weeks) but everyone is very different. I didn't feel proper kicks until about 20 weeks and my dh couldn't feel anything until about 23 weeks ish. You might feel little bubbles popping, that's a good way of describing it.
Hang on in there, you'll feel it soon and it will be amazing xx

birdbrain17 Tue 08-Jan-13 09:39:36

I'm now 27+2 with my first pregnancy, I was also worried when I didn't feel any movements, and my hospital doesn't listen for the heartbeat till 24 week check up so I was very nervous something had gone wrong after 12 week scan...Was very relieved at 20 week scan to see the baby was fine and kicking around, and since the day after that scan I feel it kicking the whole time, I think I was feeling it kicking before the scan just because it's my first I didn't know what I was feeling and I needed to see it to get in touch with it. 18 weeks is still early to feel movement with first, and even when you do start it takes weeks to establish a pattern, my midwife told me don't monitor the movement till 28 weeks as otherwise you just end up making yourself worried over nothing....
Good luck, hope everything goes well, it's really nerve wracking being pregnant, but sure everything will be fine x

BonaDea Tue 08-Jan-13 10:05:07

OP - this is my first pregnancy and I didn't feel anything proper until after the 20 week scan!! According to my midwife this is very common and in fact they told me that 20-22 weeks is far more normal and that they believe lots of people exaggerate how early they feel things (not passing comment on anyone else here!).

I also found out at the 20 week scan that I have an anterior placenta which means that instead of the placenta being at the back of the womb near your back, it is at the front against your tummy / belly button. In other words, there is an extra layer between you and the baby. That can also delay the feelings...

I never got the 'flutterings' many people talk about either. It went from nothing to quite distinct prodding feelings (although gentle at first) overnight. It was only about 3 weeks later that the kicks were big enough for Mr Bona to feel when he was in the right place at the right time.

You'll be fine grin

27+6

steph2412 Tue 08-Jan-13 10:33:09

Hi i could feel my 1st baby from the outside at 18 weeks this time dc3 has been a lot different. i never felt any proper movement and at my 20 week scan i was told they couldnt measure babys heart as he was so active when i said i couldnt feel baby they explained my placenta was anterior and low lying which was cushioning movements. Im 26 weeks today and dh felt baby kick for the 1st time last night so try not to worry xx

Badgerwife Tue 08-Jan-13 11:28:46

I think it's totally normal not to feel anything at your stage. Part of it might be that it's difficult to recognise the movements for what they are. Now with my second pregnancy I think I have been feeling the baby for a couple of weeks (I'm 17 weeks) BUT I sort of know what to expect, and also, it might well just be wind grin.
Secondly, remember that the baby is still very small at this stage and that whatever bump you might have is most likely your placenta. It does take quite a bit of space in there, and depending on where it is located, might completely hide any movements

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 08-Jan-13 11:33:16

I felt movement around 18-19 weeks but honestly, it felt like tickles from the inside! Proper kicks by 21 weeks. (I'm fat too!). Check your notes - have they said you have an anterior placenta? That would muffle the kicks.

curlyclaz13 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:02:49

I have had a look but can not see anything about the placenta, next scan is next Thursday so might know more then.

emblosion Tue 08-Jan-13 12:04:57

With DS I didn't feel anything til I was past 20 weeks, didn't feel a lot til about 30 weeks but placenta was fully anterior (they prob won't be able to tell position of placenta til your 20 week scan).

Try not to worry, I'm sure it'll be fine smile

itsmyfirsteek Tue 08-Jan-13 15:13:28

I'm 25 weeks and hardly feel anything, occasionally and its very occasionally when I'm laid on my side to go to sleep I feel a sort of rumbling but that's it sad

itsmyfirsteek Tue 08-Jan-13 17:08:21

I'm 25 weeks and hardly feel anything, occasionally and its very occasionally when I'm laid on my side to go to sleep I feel a sort of rumbling but that's it sad

curlyclaz13 Sat 12-Jan-13 09:12:21

Keep re-reading this for reassurance, still felt nothing. Scan is on Thursday so hope everything is ok but can not help worrying.

Jollyb Sat 12-Jan-13 09:24:33

I wasn't convinced til 24 weeks. Please try not to worry

Springforward Sat 12-Jan-13 21:54:51

DS - nothing til after 20 week scan.

This pregancy - 18 weeks, but only after DH (who has v deep voice) knelt down and asked my belly button, rather loudly, if anyone was home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now