Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If I was pregnant during a scan for something else, would they tell me?

(18 Posts)
Hallucinations Mon 07-Jan-13 14:16:11

I feel like I am going mad...
I went to have a routine scan on an ovarian cist today.They do uterus (I also have fibroids) kidneys and ovaries.

The sonographer took a long time scanning me-but then she was very nice, and obvs thorough.

After the scan I was getting dressed and I looked on the screen. I am certain I could see a foetus. Really certain.I felt a bit dizzy, and thought, no way. Not possible.
It must be some kind of screen saver or whatnot. I looked again, and the screen had my name at the top.
I still think I must be going mad.
I have had no full intercourse for a year and a half! I had a brief sexual encounter (Ok, It wasn't that brief, but no penetration due to no condoms) with a guy I went on a couple of dates with in late October/early November.
That's it.
I have one working ovary, shedloads of fibroids and am 38. I have also had two periods since this "sex incident", one very heavy.
I can't be, right?
Even if I was the sonographer would have told me, surely??
Please tell me I am going mad.

TwitchyTail Mon 07-Jan-13 14:21:46

Yes, they would tell you. Did you see the doctor after the scan, or was it an ultrasound only with the doctors appointment at a later date? By all means call up and ask if you want to put your mind at rest.

FannyFifer Mon 07-Jan-13 14:24:23

I would be pretty certain that they would most definitely tell you.

Hallucinations Mon 07-Jan-13 14:26:49

Ooh that was quick!
Yes, ultrasound only. That's what I thought. I am not up the duff! Just hallucinating! Thank You.

RillaBlythe Mon 07-Jan-13 14:27:17

they would tell you.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 07-Jan-13 14:27:56

I'm sure they would tell you, why not take a test to put your mind at rest?

RillaBlythe Mon 07-Jan-13 14:28:11

am battling dd2 for control of the keyboard! friend recently had a scan for fibroids, and they told her then that she was pregnant - she had done a test the week before but had been negative so was surprised!.

Trills Mon 07-Jan-13 14:30:38

They would tell you. Absolutely.

Hallucinations Mon 07-Jan-13 14:31:20

I might do a test-just seems bonkers to spend the money when it is all so incredibly unlikely.
Do sonographers have foetus screen savers on their ultrasound machines? Unless it was a foetus shaped fibroid..

NoTeaForMe Mon 07-Jan-13 14:59:08

Sure they would have mentioned it. Am I being dim though, if you haven't had sex for 18months you can't possibly be pregnant can you?!

Hallucinations Mon 07-Jan-13 15:10:16

Well, I havent had penetrative sex, no. That's why I feel so silly even posting this. It could happen theoretically if some sperm found its way, ahem, up there.
But with my one ovary, and at my age I realise this sounds nuts.
The only other thing is that my boobs have felt sort of tender and pre-periody for weeks. Which can happen randomly, so I hadn't thought of it, until this morning, when it became an ominous sign!

blondebaby111 Mon 07-Jan-13 16:08:42

When I was scanned before ivf they did a printout that I had to show the nurse and I had the same worry, I had something that looked like a foetus. I think there's loads of different shapes and things going on when they scan but they would definately tell you. Test yourself if u really want to make sure

Hallucinations Mon 07-Jan-13 16:23:42

Ok, thanks. I have calmed down a bit now!
It's just that I have seen 2 ultrasound scans before (when I was pregnant) so I thought I knew what I was seeing. I agree, they would have to tell me. And the sonographer knew I didn't think I was pregnant, since I told her my last period was 2 weeks ago.
Will do a test tomorrow but am reassured!
It would just totally be my luck to get knocked up by a guy who stopped calling me, having not actually had full sex.
I think that's why I panicked. I thought "Of course. Of course that would happen to me." grin

StuckOnARollercoaster Mon 07-Jan-13 23:48:28

I had a scan for fibroids but told them I suspected i was pregnant. Honestly there were all sorts of shapes in my uterus! When they did point out the fetus it didn't look anything like a fetus - just an odd shape with a pulse.

kurlyvoice Tue 08-Jan-13 09:56:36

Just to add a different story, I had a scan to find out why I was having such strange periods. The sonographer hardly spoke to me at all and I got the results from my doctor a few weeks later - just after a +ve pregnancy test! The sonographer said I had a 1cm cyst in my uterus, but when the scans were reviewed after my 12 week scan, it turned out that the cyst was actually the baby!

I was a little cross that the sonographer didn't even suggest that I could be pregnant, as we'd been trying for a while and I'd got fed up with trying so just stopped taking folic acid. My little "cyst" is now 22 months and I'm 32 weeks with his baby brother or sister...!

Have you done a test today, OP?

Hallucinations Tue 08-Jan-13 10:35:59

Hello
I can't do a test today, as I just checked my balance and have 20 squid to last til Friday, so will have to hang on til then!
I have pretty much decided that, if I were pregnant, the sonographer would HAVE to tell me, lest I immediately leave the hospital and smoke 200 fags/drink a bottle of vodka.
And she really did seem thorough, and to know what she was doing, so it just must have been a weird shape, albeit looking exactly like an 10 week old fetus..
I will do the test anyway though and come back to post.

Kurlyvoice-your sonographer must have been half asleep!

AngelsInTheSky88 Mon 14-Dec-15 02:39:37

I went for a routine scan on Friday just gone to investigate some pains & other problems I've been having for years. I've had one of these ultra sounds previously so I thought it would be the same this time.
for a good month I've felt not quite right with multiple pregnancy symptoms but unfortunately I've had 2 negative tests :/ so I couldn't confirm my feeling / thoughts.
this scan was really confusing as the technician told me there was nothing such as a cyst ect visible that would cause the pain I've had for months or the problems I've had over the years.
naturally I looked at the screen as she was scanning me & she asked when my last period was & then measured something quite round with a cross measurement through it & she kept moving the ultra sound to get a better image. when I looked back at the screen I could see a shape that looked like a monkey nut .. a big monkey nut.
she didn't tell me I was pregnant or what it was she found, she simply told me to make an appointment to see my doctor so they could give me the result. it's so confusing :/
my body is telling me I'm pregnant, my emotions are everywhere, my tummy is grow in & theist of symptoms are too. I don't understand why she couldn't just tell me I was pregnant ??
does that mean something is wrong or are they simply not allowed to tell you anything other than results regarding what the scan was actually intended for...
ive previously had miscarriages & im so scared that something will happen or how I'll cope with being pregnant. it's all so confusing xx

AngelsInTheSky88 Mon 14-Dec-15 02:41:03

when I saw the monkey nut shape she measured it length ways so from 'head to tail' x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now