Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NCT refresher courses - experiences?

(9 Posts)
mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 07-Jan-13 13:47:49

Hi - I know that there are very differing views about NCT classes in general, just to say this thread is not aimed at opening that can of worms, having had a reasonably positive experience before having DD.

I am expecting DC2 in early June (DD will be 3.8) and wondered whether these refresher courses are worth doing? I am still in touch with some families from the first time round (including some SAHMs who will be around during maternity leave - I WOH effectively full-time) but thought refresher courses might be useful for eg. tips on juggling DCs, reminder of breathing techniques etc (those learned last time now blanked from memory!), meeting a few more people, particularly since they will have newborns of the same sort of age.

Thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance.

RightUpMyRue Mon 07-Jan-13 13:51:39

I don't have any experience of them yet but we're booked in on one in Feb, DS1 due in early April.

I think there are 5 or 6 sessions including one breastfeeding one. Dads are only invited to one of them and the BFing one, the rest is women only.

Interested to know others opinions...

mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 07-Jan-13 14:01:47

Hi - thanks RightUp - just to make it clear, I did the usual 1st time antenatal in the run-up to DD, my question was specifically about the refresher courses for 2nd and subsequent time mums.

FWIW though as I said above my experience on the original antenatal course was fairly good, I made some good friends with whom we're still in touch three and a half years later.

I have heard quite different tales though, and think it can depend very much on the instructor. Ours was pretty pragmatic and although she played down certain elements (pain relief other than gas&air or TENS, not very much on C-Sections) she was certainly not of the "entirely natural is the only way, carry the placenta round with you afterwards" brigade which I have heard tell of.

For a really no-holds barred description of what is likely to happen during labour though, I think going to one of the one-off NHS sessions is probably better.

RightUpMyRue Mon 07-Jan-13 14:16:56

It's alright, I understood, I'm also booked on the refresher course, I have a DD too. smile

I've also booked on the NHS one. We get a tour of the labour ward and MLU with that one which I'm interested to see but as 2nd time parents we only get the one session through the midwives.

I'm sort of seeing the NCT sessions as a way to make local friends with babies the same age and not necessarily as a way of information gathering.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 07-Jan-13 14:20:14

Oops blush - sorry, saw DS1 and assumed that was also DC1. Totally agree on the main purpose of the NCT ones.

We shall wait and see!

Snowflakepie Mon 07-Jan-13 16:36:41

If you can get on a course then it won't hurt. In my area there aren't any refresher courses, no NHS courses for second time mums and a general attitude that you've done it before so what's the issue. I imagine the focus of things for second timers will be much more different, particularly based on whatever experience you have had before. Back to the net for me!

curiousgeorgie Mon 07-Jan-13 18:03:49

I'm just marking my place as I'm also expecting DC2 in June and am booked onto a refresher course... (Have a 2.3 DD)

I didn't do NCT the first time round and am definitely having a ELCS this time round (had ELCS with first after some problems) so am wondering if people will think its a waste of time for me to be there? I do just want to use it to make friends locally too... I have a few baby friends from having my DD but they've all gone back to work and I love the whole meeting for coffee at each others houses every week idea smile

bangersmashandbeans Mon 07-Jan-13 19:22:54

I'm on one now! Due in 5 weeks and have a nearly 3 yr old DD and didn't do NCT first time. Have mummy friends but some live further away of have gone back to work so wanted to make some more. Only 2 sessions in and i'm really enjoying it. The mums are lovely and we all had pretty difficult births so no one talking about birth plans or breathing the baby out! Just having a laugh and swapping tips about dealing with toddlers. All good so far!

whatwasIthinkingof Mon 06-May-13 22:30:12

I am thinking of doing a Refresher course but just don't know if it will be worth it but didn't do NCT first time round and regretted it. Are these courses much less well-attended than the first time NCT courses? They are much shorter so is there really time to bond with new friends? Does anyone know if they cover c-sections as I may need to have an ELCS? How much info is there on coping with a newborn and a toddler?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now