Talk

Advanced search

Crib or Moses basket.

(16 Posts)
vintageviolets Sun 06-Jan-13 18:42:46

If I buy a cot for the bedroom, what do I need for downstairs?

A crib or a Moses basket? I'm getting a bit confused as to what I need blush

Eglantyne Sun 06-Jan-13 18:46:55

I used my travel cot downstairs. Try to make items do more than one job, otherwise you spend too much and your house fills up! My dc were both massive and didn't fit in a Moses basket anyway!

vintageviolets Sun 06-Jan-13 18:50:52

Thanks, I did wonder about a travel cot, as we will be visiting family next Christmas.

I will have another look at them.

Rhubarb78 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:07:07

I used my pram for downstairs, was great because I could take the baby to whatever room I was in without disturbing him.

LexiLoganberry Sun 06-Jan-13 19:18:31

I also used my pram carrycot downstairs, Cot in the nursery and a moses basket in our bedroom but I felt it would be difficult to try and bring it down two flights of stairs when I was on my own.

carrielou2007 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:19:52

I've always used the carrycot of my pram downstairs (it lives in the kitchen next to washing machine which can be z useful as both dc have loved it) can carry it where needed.

Moses basket, my dd slept in hers 3 times whereas my dc slept in it every night until I couldn't wedge him in any more (both big and long babies).

I've got a crib too this time so if buns doesn't like Moses basket I don 'g have to dismantle thd cot and lug it up to my bedroom as don't think I will get it back together again!!

GreatSoprendo Sun 06-Jan-13 19:33:50

I'm planning to use the carrycot bit off the travel system downstairs too.

tamster83 Sun 06-Jan-13 20:12:25

get both . I always have a moses basket down stairs a crib in my bedroom and a cot in the nursery

Twattybollocks Sun 06-Jan-13 20:38:55

Moses basket is cheaper, but do consider second hand as many babies won't sleep in them for the first few weeks, and they grow out of them at a rate of knots! You can have just one and keep it downstairs for daytime naps and carry upstairs to put at the side of the bed for overnight.
I've got a travel cot for beside my bed, and am planning to use the pram with the carrycot in the front room as I have a bouncy dog and I fear the Moses basket would be knocked off the stand and a swinging crib cause sea sickness!

Mutley77 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:24:51

Don't over-complicate things. If the cot will fit in your bedroom and isn't too disruptive use that from day one - if not you will probably need a crib as MB only last about 8-12 weeks maximum. This is presuming you want to stick to the SIDS advice of having a baby in your bedroom with you until 6 months.

For downstairs naps the baby can sleep in the carry cot - although if you don't have one a MB might be useful.

utopian99 Mon 07-Jan-13 09:52:09

We use the prom downstairs as well- easily moveable, has it's own stand (i.e. Prom frame), no extra cost..

BonaDea Mon 07-Jan-13 10:01:06

For downstairs, I'm planning to use the carrcot of the pram and see how we get on. Figure it is lie flat, will be there anyway and is easy to move from room to room! Also, it means that if you are going away for an overnight those first few months, the baby is used to sleeping in the pram as well as going out and about in it!

If it looks like I need something else, I might get a travel cot as mentioned above. Think a moses basket is probably OTT as the baby will use it for such a short period of time!

vintageviolets Mon 07-Jan-13 13:13:17

Thanks everyone flowers

LaurenCaddy Mon 07-Jan-13 16:22:14

I feel over prepared, we have cotbed for when she's big enough to move into her own room. A moses basket for the living room and a swinging crib for our room. And obviously a pram for everywhere outside of the house. We have a travel cot for our first family holiday in July and when we visit family in Brum. It's nice having a mixture of things, she'll probably choose which she prefers anyhow once she's here.

PandaOnAPushBike Mon 07-Jan-13 16:45:55

I'm only using the carrycot on the pram until baby outgrows it. But our house is all on one level so easy to wheel from living room to bedroom.

DeathMetalMum Mon 07-Jan-13 17:05:22

We are using a moses basket in the bedroom to start off with then a cot (it will squeeze in somewhere). Due to space we will be using the pram downstairs too for naps as there is knowhere really to store the pram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now