Talk

Advanced search

March baby - snowsuit needed?

(25 Posts)
butteroneverything Sat 05-Jan-13 23:55:16

I'm expecting my first baby on 4 March. Do you think I need a snowsuit for him? If so is a 0-3m the best size to get?

armedtotheteeth Sat 05-Jan-13 23:57:58

I don't think you need one in march - better to use easily removable layers like fleece blankets. Snowsuits are great in very cold weather but not needed in March I would say.

PacificDogwood Sun 06-Jan-13 00:00:21

Waste of money IMO.

I had 4 March babies and yes, we did have a snowsuit. It was worn exactly once by each child. On the way home from hospital and for a photo each hmm.
Layers and blankets much better in reality - I found snowsuits a right faff.

Congratulations btw, March is a great time to have a baby with summer ahead of you smile.

CointreauVersial Sun 06-Jan-13 00:02:00

They are quite handy for tinies, but you probably don't need an arctic-weight one, just something soft and padded. You'll probably find one in the Sales! But don't worry if you can't find one.

0-3 sounds sensible, but as it's your first you don't know how big they will be. I had tiny babes; DD1 was wearing a 0-3 snowsuit at 6mo.

Startail Sun 06-Jan-13 00:08:45

No, as others have said they are a real faff and impossible to get off a sleeping baby.

DD1 was born in January and wore one about twice. She just woke up and screamed as soon as she went anywhere that wasn't freezing.

Blankets stuffed in the pushchair cosy toes were much better. You could unzip and fold down as you entered a shop and she'd stay asleep.

Goes without saying that truly explosive nappies and snowsuits are bad. You need blankets while the stupid thing dries.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sun 06-Jan-13 00:14:45

I'm due in March too and won't be getting one. Our DDwas born in December 3 years ago in that freezing cold weather and even for her I only used the snow suit a handful of times!

crunchingicicles Sun 06-Jan-13 01:34:06

I'm gonna be slightly awkward here and say if you really want to use a snowsuit on your newborn, then March isn't too late - people often seem to forget it's not unusual in UK to get a sudden snowfall snap as late as April. However, I do agree with others that they are rather a nuisance... If carrying them in a sling, they'll be fairly warm from your body & it's easier to remove a cardigan, hat & blanket without disturbing them. Also, you can wear your coat over sling and cover baby with it. If using pushchair, make sure it has a cosytoes & add in an extra blanket. Fleece ones are great. Plus warm clothes on baby with a coat/jumper. If air is v cold, when young I'd often use the raincover to keep the air inside warmer and stop any windchill.

Pandasandmonkeys Sun 06-Jan-13 03:56:56

My DS was born in nov and we used our snowsuit once. We have a baby hoodie http://www.morrck.co.uk/baby-hoodies-1.html
It's the best thing ever!!! DS us always warm and snug in the pram. It's soooooo simple to use, can undo it very quickly once on warm shops etc and super easy to put a sleeping baby in or take out of, also washes very well after an explosive nappy! They have some lovely colours and designs too!

Yamyoid Sun 06-Jan-13 04:12:57

Those baby hoodies look great, wish I'd heard of them when dcs were llttle.

Pandasandmonkeys Sun 06-Jan-13 04:32:19

Amazing invention! smile especially for me as a first timer, no scary baby limb bending yo get DS in to a snowsuit! Lol!

KnockedUpMell Sun 06-Jan-13 05:52:58

eBay is great for snow suits, I picked up beautiful gap oped for under £4 incl postage! And you can sell it for the same price so it won't be disheartening if you only use it a couple of times. I didn't use one for ds as we lived in London and travelled everywhere with him in a sling. I now use one all the time with dd as we are out of the city and drive around a lot more, and its also a lot colder out of the city.

WendyWillow Sun 06-Jan-13 06:03:36

If you live some where it's it's likely to get cold in March then get one. We always have a week of snow in March and live in the country so will use it for long outdoor walks. I got one from eBay for £8, Mama's and Papas, so good resale value around September time if not used much.

DeathMetalMum Sun 06-Jan-13 06:45:04

We had two (slightly different sized) newborn snowsuits in the hospital for dd when she was coming home (it was feburary) . We used neither as they didnt fit properly. One wasnt long enough and both were also just way to bulky for her, she was 8lb8 so not small either. We ended up taking one of the hospital blankets home as we didnt have quite enough blankets with us though. We are not bothering for dc due in March just taking lots of layers and blankets.

It is also reccomended to take thick coats off when going in car seats. So in this situation layers cardigans and blankets are much better.

We used a snowsuit for her first winter only really when she was around 10 months.

surroundedbyblondes Sun 06-Jan-13 06:47:28

Could you get a fleece all in one rather than a snowsuit? I think Polarn och Pyret do them

Rhubarb78 Sun 06-Jan-13 07:34:11

Ds was born in march last year, he wore a snowsuit to come home from hospital and i was frantically trying to open it up in the car because it was boiling! he never wore it again, he had a little jacket and blankets which i thought was much better and easier to put on

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Sun 06-Jan-13 07:40:29

I had one for my march baby but probably more cause I wanted too than because it was really needed

SneezySnatcher Sun 06-Jan-13 08:26:16

One of my enduring memories of newborn DD (born in March) is the day we were discharged from the hospital. DH and I were trying to put her snowsuit on her and we just couldn't do it! We were so scared we were going to break her and in the end we gave up. We both found it really stressful. She never wore the snowsuit.

We did end up with a Morrck baby hoody and it was amazing. It's going to be used again for this DC (due April).

butteroneverything Sun 06-Jan-13 08:56:32

Great, thanks for all your advice. I'm down south so fingers crossed it won't be too cold. I'm thinking cardies and blankets all the way!

cupcake78 Sun 06-Jan-13 09:01:08

I would say no, just go with fleece lined cardigan and blankets. Unless you intend on using a sling for first few weeks.

Wait till September and get baby a good one then. They will be much easier to dress them by that point, you'll get 6mths wear out of them and baby will be kicking sheets off by that stage.

GreatSoprendo Sun 06-Jan-13 10:03:49

I had the exact same quandary - DC1 due at Easter. I plumped for a Bug in a Rug instead as seems more versatile than a suit and easier to get them in and out of. It arrived this week and is lovely and cosy.

magda111 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:31:57

I agree, i used the sling lots and lots , so the Bug in a rug was dead handy , cos his toes were snug and warm without having a big bulky snow suit and then of course i could transfer back into the car seat without having to undress him or put on a different coat or jacket.
it made it miles easier, and in March you'll want to be out and about , assuming the weather improves!!

BonaDea Fri 11-Jan-13 14:45:40

I got one of these instead (different colour): www.mothercare.com/Baby-Boum-Polstar-Carseat-and-Stroller-Blanket---Sesame/455612,default,pd.html

I saw a friend's baby in one in December and he look so cosy, but because it is a blanket, the baby won't grow out of it as quickly (he was 6 months). You put it in the car seat under the baby, the straps of the car seat feed through the special openings in the blanket to allow the baby to be properly secured, then the blanket folds back over the baby with poppers to secure.

All the openings for the straps zip up completely, so later if you want to use it just in the pram or whatever you can. I thought it made soooo much more sense than a snow suit which I'd probably rarely use.

izzyishappilybusy Fri 11-Jan-13 14:49:32

O have a few becAuse we walk a lot - however they were all from eBay and pennies

moregranny Fri 11-Jan-13 22:32:43

Have a look at the Star Wrap on www.tuppenceandcrumble.com they are brilliant for little ones.

BranchingOut Sat 12-Jan-13 22:09:09

Buy a light-weight one from eBay, because they are unlikely to be in stock in the ships in March.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now