Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

please tell me this is all I need..

(16 Posts)
SammyFirstBaby Sat 05-Jan-13 18:23:24

Ok, so me and boyfriend are going shopping next tuesday to get most bits (not buggy + cot) and I just wanted to know if anyone had anything else to add to the list.
Sorry its rather long.

Iv already got
-2 hats in 0-3
-3 pairs of scratch mits
-2 t-shirts in 0-3
-10 short sleeve bodysuits in 0-3
-6 long sleeve body suits in 0-3
-and this adorable pair of chino trousers in 0-3

Iv wrote a list off:
-*complete bottle set* (2x130ml bottles, 2x160ml bottles, 4x slow flow teats, 4x sealing disks, 1x soft spout, 1xhandle and 1xsoother)
- microwave sterilser (comes with 2x260ml, start soother and teat tong)
- 7-10 all in one sleepsuits (in 0-3)
- socks (in 0-3)
-bibs
-blankets (not sure how many was thinking 3?)
-*sleep bag*

-*trousers and tops* (in 3-6)
-*vests long and short sleeve* (around 15 off each? And in 3-6)
-*all in ones* (around 15 and in 3-6)
-socks

-*tescos own brand nappies* ( 2 packs of newborn and 2 packs of 0-3months. Will top the 0-3 up as we go)
-*wet wipes cotton balls and baby bath stuff* (pound shop)
- baby sponge and baby towels
- nappy sacks
- top and tail bucket
- dummys

Do I need to buy a bath bath?

Anything else? Any changes?
Thanks smile xx

3ForMe Sat 05-Jan-13 18:32:47

Ok I'd change:

No mitts as most sleep suits have the sleeves that turn over the hands.
No t shirts or pants
2x long sleeved vests a day
2x sleep suits a day - that covers at least one clean in morn and one clean at night
10x bibs
Don't get the small bottles. Just 6x 9oz bottles
Yes to sleep bag
Maybe three blankets, keeping one in the car. One for bed/swaddling and one spare
No to baby bath, but a baby seat is great because you can use two hands to bath baby
A natural sponge, more expensive but super soft
A changing bag
Get some gentle moisturiser for baby, all mine needed a little on somewhere or other. I've always used johnsons naturals-not the pink lotion though
A snow suit-one that doesn't have a diagonal zip/button. One that opens as far as possible.
And a couple (6) of newborn sized vests and sleep suits as 0-3 are quite big for newborns usually

Baby milk?

ShowOfHands Sat 05-Jan-13 18:38:19

Muslins and cake.

3ForMe Sat 05-Jan-13 18:38:59

And you don't need a baby towel, a usual clean towel is fine
And I've bought at least 4 packs of the newborn sized nappies before needing the size 2 nappies, bu it does depend on the size of your baby.

I go through about 8-10 nappies in 24 hours. Again it depends how much they poo etc
Also a changing box or a wicker basket or similar to keep all your nappies, wipes etc in
You will need baby scissors and brush but you prob won't use the scissors for a while

ShowOfHands Sat 05-Jan-13 18:39:50

Postbirth stuff for you too. Have you got breastpads, maternity pads, big knickers, front opening nightie for in hospital or pjs, nipple cream if bfing.

And cake. Did I mention cake?

3ForMe Sat 05-Jan-13 18:40:01

And enjoy!! It's lovely and fun shopping for a newbie. I've had 3 and still love it!

SammyFirstBaby Sat 05-Jan-13 18:40:41

Already got the mits, ahh poop!
Also thanks for all other advice!

Babys not due till may 4th, is it to soon for milk?
Too soon for sleepsuit? Will he even need it in that weather?

JimbosJetSet Sat 05-Jan-13 18:41:24

I wouldn't bother getting any 3-6m clothes unless you see something you absolutely love. When people buy presents for a new baby, they often buy clothes, and if they do, then 3-6m is the most common size to buy. We have so many clothes for DS in this size - many haven't been worn.

Jayne266 Sat 05-Jan-13 18:44:21

Get tiny baby or newborn sleep suit (only one as you can always get more later)
Muslins
Cotton balls (you are not meant to use nappy/bath products for a while)
Won't need a bath just yet
I got dr brown bottles (bottle brush!) I got ready made milk at first as it lasts longer in the fridge at when we got home the feeds were all over the place, plus after 1 week I had to change formula as he had tummy issues on SMA
Moses baskets/ cot bed and bedding and blankets
Boots scratch mittens are really good I found the others were too big when he was born.
Gro egg thermometer they are great for the room temp

I will keep thinking

doublecakeplease Sat 05-Jan-13 18:56:24

Shopping is exciting but i found that i needed very little in reality. Never used newborn socks - mine lived in babygrows so didn't need them.

Also - people were so generous with gifts etc that lots of our stuff went back to the shops! Lots of people knitted / bought DS stuff that he didn't get to wear (he was prem so by the time he was big enough for some bits it was the wrong season / too hot) same if you have a big baby i guess!

I would just get stuff for the first week or so then see what works for you and go buy more. We were also given gift vouchers and got things I'd not thought of like a buggy umbrella etc.

Get a thermometer. Quite literally a life saver with DS :-)

3ForMe Sat 05-Jan-13 19:01:22

Ooh summer baby!!

Well then not long sleeved vests, short sleeved.

Still get a light weight snowsuit though.
And you can buy the baby milk but like someone suggested, don't bulk buy it as baby may need to change. I've used hipp organic/com biotic with mine as its a little cheaper, as well as being organic and had the same nutrients as comparable milks. Found it easier on their tums.
I wouldn't buy any 3-6 clothes.

I know it's really tempting to buy cute outfits but it really is a complete waste if money and a lot if them aren't comfortable for baby, IMO. No to shoes too.

Can second the room thermometer. The gro egg is great for first time mums.

I want to come with you!! I'm getting excited! And I have a newborn so it's something I've done recently!

SammyFirstBaby Sat 05-Jan-13 19:01:25

Thanks for all advice, but with the whole "you'll get gifts" that doesn't apply in my books.
My family has completly dis-owned me around 4 years ago, no luck there.
And partners family arnt close.

curiousgeorgie Sat 05-Jan-13 19:08:46

I found a bouncy chair completely essential.

We even had one at my parents, DH's parents and my brothers.

When DD would cry or if I needed to get her to sleep the only thing that would work was sitting her in the bouncy chair and occasionally tapping it... It's portable to put in different rooms IE while you're having a bath or shower, while you're cooking, tidying upstairs, watching TV! And they nap in it and its easy to move them while asleep if necessary.

I'm due DC2 shortly after you and a bouncy chair is top of my list!

Congratulations! grin

3ForMe Sat 05-Jan-13 19:12:05

Buy vouchers and get to the sales instead of buying clothes for the future.

Top tip!

Jayne266 Sat 05-Jan-13 19:39:50

Go to your nearest NCT sale I got loads really cheap. I have been recently and bought a baby bouncer for £3 and a fisherprice swing for £6.

BigPigLittlePig Sat 05-Jan-13 19:46:43

Exciting!

The single best thing we got was a sling - 6 wk old dd will not settle for more than 20 mins on her own in the day, but sleeps for HOURS in her sling which means I no longer have an excuse not to get boring housey stuff done

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: