Talk

Advanced search

Emotional issues during pregnancy

(7 Posts)
HardlyEverHoovers Fri 04-Jan-13 22:13:59

Hi, I had 3 miscarriages last year, have had some tests done and get the results in 2 weeks. If all is OK with the results (which I'm kind of expected as already have 1 DS) we will TTC again.
However, I'm really worrying about how my emotions change in pregnancy, as I feel it affects my whole life but puts a particular strain on my relationship with my husband. Has anyone else noticed really big emotional changes?
It's hard to explain, but I find myself always thinking the worst and catch myself sometimes just lost in a train of thought where I'm following some worry or concern to its very worst conclusion. And I can't seem to let ANYTHING go, and end up arguing over every little thing.
Is there anything I can do to help this?
Don't normally have any sort of mental health issues.

Mylittlepuds Fri 04-Jan-13 22:44:28

Yes me. I've had a full on meltdown today and my poor husband had to shoulder the lot, as always.

I think the worst about everything.

It's awful but I still wouldn't swap being pregnant if it meant taking all the worry away. This is the judgement call you need to make.

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 04-Jan-13 22:45:40

Aw, sorry you've had a bad day. Do you see this as a normal part of pregnancy?

ChemicalConfusion Fri 04-Jan-13 22:50:00

I've also had 3 miscarriages (with one DD in the middle) and am now 8 weeks pregnant and yes, I totally know what you mean and suspect that I'm a bit of a nightmare to live with when pregnant! For me, it's all related to anxiety following the mc's. Is this the case for you? I've found my GP really sympathetic (in fact went to see her in tears this morning) and she's told me to keep going back to see her regularly as I find it helps just to tell someone who isn't DH how I'm feeling. When I was pregnant with DD, the community midwives were brilliant and really didn't mind how often I phoned them or went on for reassurance.

I also found that it helped to have one set time each day when I did something I enjoyed and didn't worry about anything else I had to do. I also try to remind myself as much as possible that pregnancy is just a (comparatively) short phase that DH and I just have to get through to get to where we really want to be. It is hard though, be kind to yourself.

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 04-Jan-13 22:59:42

Congratulations of your pregnancy Chemical! Strangely despite all the miscarriages I don't feel anxious about the pregnancy itself, unless it's all in my subconscious. Just feel my personality changes so much. I think the break from TTC has given me time to realise just how much I change, and maybe that in itself will help me to cope with it.

ChemicalConfusion Fri 04-Jan-13 23:26:03

I think that's pretty normal with all the hormones rushing about. Sounds a good idea to be able to step back a bit from it. Why not write all of this down somewhere now so you can read it when you are pregnant to remind yourself, and dh, who you are when you're not pregnant and that it is the pregnancy, not you? Good lick with ttc!

ChemicalConfusion Fri 04-Jan-13 23:30:36

Luck, not lick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now