Talk

Advanced search

Am I totally insane!?

(6 Posts)
MB34 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:29:10

I gave birth to my DS 6 weeks ago - I hated being pregnant, not through being ill, just didn't like the whole experience - I used to answer the question "Is it your first?" with "Yes and the last!".
His birth was just how I'd planned it and not totally horrendous but I was ill afterwards which meant a five day stay in hospital. The last 6 weeks have been hard with establishing breast feeding, cluster feeding and not being used to waking in the night.

However, I am now contemplating trying for another baby in the next few months - am I crazy?

Rockchick1984 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:55:06

It's your hormones - I experienced a crazy broodiness after having DS and so did most of my friends after having kids! It wore off once I hit the next developmental stage, I think it's as you feel you have mastered the whole parenting thing until the baby decides to throw something new at you grin

MB34 Fri 04-Jan-13 10:10:07

Maybe it is my hormones but I really don't feel as if I've mastered anything at the moment tbh, quite the opposite at some points in the day.

My sensible reasons in my mind anyway are that
- bf was horrendous the first month so if I'm still bf when/if DC2 comes along I'll miss out on all the pain
- bringing a child up has its challenges, if I leave it a few years it's stretching out those challenges over a longer period iyswim
and
- I'm 35 so not getting any younger!

Rockchick1984 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:18:42

Like I said, virtually everyone I know has experienced similar around the same sort of time - only one friend acted on it and has just under 1 year age gap, all the others (myself included!) waited and the feeling wore off.

Emsyboo Fri 04-Jan-13 13:07:33

Nice the experience hasn't put you off completely smile
I went through the same but due to breastfeeding didn't have the option to try till DS was 14 months which I am now pleased about as pregnant with a lo is hard.
A small gap is fine but personally I would leave it to make sure you want the new baby rather than just a hormonal thing.
I wanted a small gap for similar reasons and am happy with the decision DS will be 26 months on new baby's due date.
If you really want a very small gap I am sure you will be fine and love it have friends with a year gap (mostly happy accidents) and they are happy but you get used to what you know
Goodluck x

kittykatsforever Fri 04-Jan-13 14:09:47

I felt exactly the same although had a good pregnancy and birth so that didn't put me off and wanted to TTC straight away again, as I was bf this was delayed ( didnt get pregnant till stoped and wasnt going to stop prematurly to try) and the intensity of the feelings did wear off although we've done it quite close (dd will be 20months when dd2 is born) now I worry how hard it will be as in my opinion dd has become much harder to look after then the cuddly newborn that you could take your eyes off for more then one minute without her causing mischief! I'd have loved a smaller gap in a way but on the other hand feel dd would have missed out on the 1-1 we've been able to give her with learning to walk and now reading and learning new words I almost feel guilty she doesn't have just us for longer- you can't win wink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now