Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice from twin mums

(13 Posts)
Ficidy Thu 03-Jan-13 13:29:00

Hi there,

I'm 8 weeks pregnant today after IVF. We're expecting twins. Anyway, I went for a scan and Twin 1 seems to be progressing really well, but Twin 2 is only measuring 7w5d and its heartbeat was only 116bpm. Does anyone here have any experience of a situation like this and if so, what was the outcome? The nurse doing the scan didn't sound too hopeful, but I know miracles happen all the time. Thanks.

Woodifer Thu 03-Jan-13 13:55:32

Ficidy - no advice or experience, but keeping fingers crossed for you!!

Ficidy Thu 03-Jan-13 14:02:36

Thanks Woodifer! Need all the positive thoughts I can get!

Twiceover Thu 03-Jan-13 16:13:52

When we had a scan with our twins at 7 weeks one was much bigger than the other (can't remember exact difference but I think one was a cm bigger than the other?) and we were told that T1 might not make it. Very nervous at the 12 week scan but they were both exactly the same size then and both fine throughout the pg. They are 3.5 at the moment and running around causing chaos!

Really hope they are both ok and best of luck with your pregnancy. I remember it being a very long wait for that 12 week scan so hope you get the news you want then.

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 03-Jan-13 16:17:15

One of my twins was bigger than the other throughout the pregnancy. When they were born they were 4 lb 12 oz and 6 lb 3oz. They are now eight and a half. DD is still a lot bigger than DS grin. I hope it all works out OK for you.

Ficidy Thu 03-Jan-13 18:07:43

Oh girls, thank you both so much. Your posts have really helped to relax me a bit. I'm sure you both understand the panic I've been feeling. Lovely to hear such nice stories x

FestiveDigestive Thu 03-Jan-13 23:22:20

My twins had a size difference all the way through and were 1lb at birth. I was told it didn't matter as long as they both continued to follow their own growth curve & that they can be different in size in the same way that any siblings can be. Good luck.

KnackeredCow Fri 04-Jan-13 08:53:29

At my early scan after IVF the nurse at the clinic said that it's really too early to look at measurements, so as long as both are within about 6 days either side then it's fine. My first scan was at 7+1 and iirc when I looked at the scan pics my twins measured 6+3 and 6+5. They didn't measure heart rate as again they said it doesn't mean much so early on; what's more important is that a heartbeat is seen.

I'm now 31+2 with b/g twins. Both plotting above 50th centile on routine growth scans. I was also told exactly what Festive was - as long as they stay on the same curve it doesn't really matter where exactly they initially plot.

Good luck and congratulations! I really hope it works out for you.

ScillyCow Fri 04-Jan-13 08:56:16

At 7 weeks they told me that one twin was 6 days younger than the other!

They were born at 6lb13 and 5lb6, both now 3 yrs and scoffing down scrambled egg.

The very best of luck and congratulations!

Rowan1204 Fri 04-Jan-13 10:48:03

Hi Ficidy,

Congrats on your double bump : )
I am currently 13+5 with ID Twins. I have had three scan so far (dating scan at 6 weeks - wondered why I was so big already! then a scan at 9 weeks as I was admitted for HG and then the standard 12 week scan).
At all scans one of the twins has measured a day or so less than the other one.
They didn't seem concerned at all about it and so I didn't really worry about it myself - after doing lots of twin 'research' online it seems quite common that one is slightly bigger than the other. are they ID twins or Non ID?
As you are now 8 weeks and the scan said that twin measured 7+5 - its still really close and so I really, really wouldn't worry. Like me, you will be very well monitored and once you get past the 12 weeks mark you will probably have very regular scans to keep an eye on things. you have made it to 8 weeks which in itself is fantastic : ) enjoy !

Ficidy Fri 04-Jan-13 13:44:10

Oh, thank you all so much. Your posts really do give me hope!
Rowan, they're non-id twins. I'm going in for another scan on Tuesday, as my doctor said we might be able to get a better idea then. Fingers crossed. I'll make sure to let you all know what happens x

TinaO99 Fri 04-Jan-13 14:30:51

Ficidy I'm 16 weeks pregnant with twins too after IVF, when I had my 12 week scan at the hospital one twin (the more active one funnily) was around 1cm smaller than the other, I was told that was fine and not to worry as long as it followed its own rate of growth, I agree with some of the other ladies that it's very early days yet and I'm sure everything is fine!

congratulations and hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well!

Ficidy Fri 04-Jan-13 17:07:55

Thanks Tina and congratulations to you too! You must be very excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now