Talk

Advanced search

leaking a little bit of fluid?

(7 Posts)
MyLittleAprilSunshine Tue 01-Jan-13 19:56:26

Hi I am sorry if this is pretty disgusting but am 22 and this is my first pregnancy so bare with me here. I have leaked a little bit of fluid. It's kind of sticky, but smells sweet. I wasn't sure if it was amniotic fluid or weird smelling urine or something else?

I am also not sure if it is normal or not. My Mum says I shouldn't worry about it but she is equally not quite sure what it might be? I don't think it's thrush as no itching or anything down there, just the usual needing to pee a lot which happens now as she lays on my bladder.

It is cleary white colour and has a slightly sweet smell to it, definately not an awful or putrid smell. Is this normal and if not, what should I do? I feel silly as there is only a little bit but it's not the first time it's leaked, it's happened before but normally it's a bit thicker/globduly and this time it alarmed me a bit more as it just leaked out when I stood up.

Thanks for your help and please answer smile

MyLittleAprilSunshine Tue 01-Jan-13 19:56:42

Oh and I forgot to say I am 26 weeks pregnant.

Tinselandchocolates Tue 01-Jan-13 20:18:38

It sounds like just usual discharge, which can be pretty massive in quantity in pg! Amniotic fluid would be clear and more "fluid", closer to water, but it does smell sweet. You can usually tell if its wee because of the smell, but your pelvic floor will be a bit weaker and lots of women leak the odd bit of wee, just make sure you're doing your pelvic floor exercises every day.

Best to be safe though and give your midwife a ring.

Whiteshoes Tue 01-Jan-13 20:19:30

It could be amniotic fluid, which is clear and sweet smelling. I would ring your midwife or the labour ward now.

I leaked at the very end. They called me in, did a test, said I wasn't leaking, it was just the heavy discharge of late pregnancy. They were wrong. My waters broke big time the next day! But there is a lot of discharge at your stage of pregnancy, so it could be that. G
et it checked out to be sure.

LittleB Tue 01-Jan-13 20:42:47

I had a discharge when I was about 23 weeks pg, it was down to an infection, not serious, but a course of anti biotics cleared it up, but I did have a bit of pain too. If you're worried speak to your midwife, might be best to get it checked out.

MyLittleAprilSunshine Tue 01-Jan-13 21:15:38

Thanks smile

I'm going to give the midwife a call in the morning and monitor if any more comes out. My bladder is v v weak at the moment but doesn't smell like wee far too sweet smelling to be wee and a bit thicker than water but not solid either if that makes sense.

Will see what they say. Hopefully nothing wrong but if they want to check I can go in and they can take a look. No pain or discomfort which I think is a good sign. They may want to check for a bladder infection or something or to see if it's any other kind of discharge. It's not foul smelling though which made me think perhaps not infection.

MyLittleAprilSunshine Wed 02-Jan-13 19:10:12

Just an update:

I called them this morning, went into hospital and got monitored. Foetal heartbeat was fine and my waters haven't broke so they have sent off a sample to check for infection. Perhaps it's just one of those things.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now