Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st time round horrific birth. .. what will they do this time? ?

(7 Posts)
Isitme1 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:40:01

Long story short I went to a shit hospital that let me go 5 days in labour. Left me. I wasnt dilating and was supposed to be put on the drip to induce labour. Contractions were more or less regular for that long.
Ended up having a horrible time pushing as he was big and my insides came out with him, I tore pretty bad and had to have emergency surgery to sort me out plus 2 units of blood and levels still didnt move.
Aibu to ask the (a different) hospital better care for pregnant women that if after waters break and nothing has changed within 3 hours can I have a csection??
Mentally and physically I can't go through that again
X
Ps im just into second trimester plus hqve a few health problems that have become worse since last pg
X

greenj1 Tue 01-Jan-13 12:00:22

So sorry to hear about your first experience, It sounds awful. Do you want a natural birth or go straight into a c section? Most consultants listen to what you want nowadays and if you think a c section is the best thing rather than worry about it being an awful natural delivery then talk to your MW and consultant xx

scampidoodle Tue 01-Jan-13 12:26:19

Please talk to your midwife who should be able to advise you. Mine has been great following a horrible (but not as bad as yours) experience giving birth to DS two and a half years ago. I can't think about it without getting upset as I think they should have helped me more rather than shouting at me about how busy they were so I should go home and refusing me an epidural (I was barely mobile due to excruciating sciatica, hadn't slept for a couple of days and had been told to come in as my waters had broken 24 hours earlier). Things went from bad to worse and I ended up barely conscious, on various drips and having an emergency assisted birth and episiotomy. Anyway, this time round my midwife has been great, fully supports my wish for a home birth (I don't want to go anywhere near that hospital if I can help it) and has offered to arrange a meeting with the Head of Midwifery at the hospital if anything changes and we can't have the home birth as planned.
Perhaps asking to talk to the person in charge of the labour wards/midwifes would be a good first step? I know someone who did this about a c-section and she was given great treatment and really looked after.
I hope you get things sorted so can feel a bit more relaxed about things.

Isitme1 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:19:23

Thanks.
Im seeing consultants due to medical problems qnd high risk pre eclampsia.
That experience left me with pnd and like youve said it is hard to speak about it without getting upset.
One of the mw that I had then even swore at me and birth partner-mum.
X

Isitme1 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:19:58

I wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting in wanting that x

leannac Tue 01-Jan-13 15:51:49

I had a pretty awful first birth with DD & with my second baby in my booking apt at 12 wks the midwife was shocked I was considering normal delivery again as she presumed after such a traumatic event I'd definitely have a c section. I've decided to persevere with the idea of another normal delivery (I'll let you know in about 7 wks how that's gone!) but this time am moving to different hospital & have found a fab doula who can help fight for me to make sure I don't end up in another life threatening situation due to incompetency.

Given the reaction by the 1st midwives I saw this time, as this is a low risk pregnancy,maybe anyone can ask for a c section these days so if you'd be more comfortable with a c section then demand one.

I've had the horrific trauma & freak outs after birth once so I can completely understand why you want to try avoid them again. If a c section sets your mind at ease, definitely you should get one.

Isitme1 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:57:41

Another member of family is expecting and she had heard of what I went through and is terrified of having her baby which is due in the next 3 weeks even though she's had 4 others In the past.

Hope you have an easy time this time round and please let me know how it went x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now