Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

when should i have my hospital bag packed?

(22 Posts)
ditsydoll Tue 01-Jan-13 10:10:02

I'm only 20 weeks now so not planning on going into labour anytime soon, I was just wondering when I should have my bags packed for? How many weeks where you when you had all your things ready?

Ellypoo Tue 01-Jan-13 10:22:50

I am going to pack mine at 24 weeks but that is because of my history and the monitoring they are doing of my baby this time.

Probably at around 34 - 36 weeks though for a 'normal' pg.

PipIsOutNow Tue 01-Jan-13 11:21:03

I'd defo pack them by 34 weeks. I was admitted at 34 on my first pregnancy and had nothing packed! Mind you I have only packed baby's bag so far and I'm nearly 36 weeks now. I don't learn

doublecakeplease Tue 01-Jan-13 11:31:41

I would start chucking bits in as and when you think of them / buy them. I DID NOT bloody do this, had a prem emcs and had to write my Mum a list (knickers, third drawer down in back bedroom, towel - shelf in wardrobe, wash bag - fuck knows where - just have a rummage) with shaky hands whilst i was prepared for theatre. Not ideal especially with her and DP saying 'i told you to pack it earlier' ;-)

Dysgu Tue 01-Jan-13 11:36:31

I also need to be thinking about packing bags for the hospital - although have yet to buy anything for either me or the baby!

I am only 24 weeks now but have never yet packed a bag and have 2DDs! Both times have involved the cryptic messages to DP and DSis and then sending DP to Boots to actually buy the stuff!

With both DDs having made early, quick arrivals I am more accepting that it is likely to happen this time - what should I be putting in a bag...?

(Note to self - get a bag!)

ditsydoll Tue 01-Jan-13 12:59:19

Yeah I thought I'd try to have it done by about 30 weeks just to be safe.

WillYuleDoTheFandango Tue 01-Jan-13 13:07:45

I did mine at 38weeks and had ds at 39.I had bought it all though and got DP to get the bag down from the loft.

Teladi Tue 01-Jan-13 13:09:15

I packed mine at 30wk, then they were sitting in my hall getting in the way until 39+6 grin

mylittlemonkey Tue 01-Jan-13 13:15:51

I am 34 weeks and have just made my list and will start packing bag in a few days. Good to do a list early just to make sure you have everything you need as will probably need to go out and buy things like pads etc.

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 01-Jan-13 14:01:14

I didn't do mine until 40 weeks had DS at 40+2 grin

CashewNuts Tue 01-Jan-13 15:47:36

Packed at 38 felt like if I did it earlier i would go in earlier. A week later and it's still not 100%. But I'm too tired to care now.

Nicky1306 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:01:07

I'm 33 +3 and I bought the bits yesterday. Will start putting into bags over the next week. Here's my list:
Hospital bag to pack

Breast pads
Nursing bras x2
Knickers
Sanitary towels
Pj's
Dressing gown
Shower gel
Deodorant
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hairbrush
Hairbands
Shampoo
Conditioner
Kindle
Lip balm
Socks
Towel
Change for parking
Phone charger
Camera
Notes
Drinks/snacks
Bottle of squash
Nipple cream
Slippers
Antibacterial hand gel

Bump

Nappies
Baby grows
Vests
Nappy cream
Cotton wool

MrsHoarder Tue 01-Jan-13 17:05:45

I did it at 35 weeks. Only because I was moving house at 36 weeks and thought that I should really have everything actually to hand in case of going into labour whilst our lives were in boxes.

Kima23 Tue 01-Jan-13 18:53:57

I packed started packing mine at about 33 weeks just in case, then added things slowly to it over time, but defiantly have it ready by 36 weeks just in case!! smile

Good luck with everything hun.

Dysgu Tue 01-Jan-13 18:58:41

Thank you for the list Nicky1306, I am going to work my way through it and start buying things this week before I go back to work next week. My due date is not until April 24th, but if this one decides to do the same as the others then we are looking at any time after February 27th!

noblegiraffe Tue 01-Jan-13 19:31:52

Hmm, I'm 36 weeks and hadn't even thought about it! Will be putting it on the to-do list over the next couple of days! Because I'm having an ELCS I hadn't really thought about things kicking off earlier.

12ylnon Tue 01-Jan-13 20:33:58

I'm packing my hospital bag as we speak and I'm 19 weeks blush
I had a friend that went into labour at 24 weeks and sitting in hospital having to tell dp all of the stuff I need and where to find it is literally my worst nightmare, so it gives me peace of mind!

tinkletinklestar Tue 01-Jan-13 21:26:25

I am booked in for my section next Friday and have been so poorly and visiting the hospital at least once a week, kept saying need to pack my bags

finally did them today just need to add a couple of last minute bits to it when i send my dh to the shop at the weekend.

I would get a bag together with all the essentials so if you go in your not in a rush to get things together.

Dysgu Wed 02-Jan-13 20:31:22

Can I just ask - when everyone says bag what sort of bag do you mean? Do you use a suitcase or a holdall? Both previous times I have had to make do with a collection of carrier bags as DP has has to buy stuff after I am in - and both times we needed very little as I was discharged quickly whilst DDs stayed in NICU and needed nothing other than preemie nappies.

MrsHoarder Thu 03-Jan-13 04:49:59

I had this bag blush (except with the patterns reversed). But I'd been looking for a good weekend-sized holdall for a while and when I saw it on sale with the changing bags I got it. Its my standard bag for up to 4-5 days away now.

I then packed the changing bag full of extra nappies and baby clothes to also put in the boot so that DH didn't need to go far when we started to run low. Unfortunately I hadn't thought of getting my clothes out for him so ended up dressed a little oddly after I gave birth (day 5 in hospital and having covered everything I'd packed in body fluids). So think about what you might want to wear and make sure your DH has it in the car or could find it from your description.

Dysgu Thu 03-Jan-13 08:45:24

Oh I quite like that bag, Mrs H I think I will have to have a look and get something. Both DDs have a small suitcase they 'pack' when we go away so I can get something like this and use it for the baby - we are planning a trip to Scotland when it is 3-5 months old.

Do you buy newborn nappies? We use reusables but I think it might be useful to have some ready for the first few days (we have always had to buy preemies in the past which we have bought after the main event).

Good idea about thinking about my clothes too.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 03-Jan-13 09:04:35

I packed my bag after I'd rung labour ward and been told to come in blush. Not recommended.
Just used a weekend bag on wheels.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: