Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

kings college

(5 Posts)
SammyFirstBaby Sun 30-Dec-12 13:07:04

I'm due to give birth in may and iv been umming and ahh-ing about the car seat situation..
I live about 10-15 mins away from the hospital, but I don't drive, my partner doesn't drive and no body we know drives. We don't get cabs so I don't see no use for it at all!

It it true you HAVE to have a carseat before you leave the hospital?

The money wasted on one that would be used once is money that could be spent on something more needed!

eltsihT Sun 30-Dec-12 13:15:26

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1646691-Home-from-hospital-in-a-taxi
I was reading this post earlier and it answers your question I think... A far as I know if you plan to take your child home in a car you must have a car seat, I know where I live some taxi companies can provide on on request.

TwitchyTail Sun 30-Dec-12 13:31:46

Just speak to the ward sister in advance and explain your situation. It shouldn't be a problem at all if you aren't leaving in a car. Many of my friends in central London don't drive so I imagine they get this all the time.

None of my local hospitals have this regulation. They just tell you that if you are using a car you must have a suitable carseat, as per the law.

SammyFirstBaby Sun 30-Dec-12 15:33:08

Thanks,
twitchy will they mind me walking home after?
I know I might not feel up to it, but I really don't see the point In getting a cab, I kind of wanna be up and about as soon as poss!

TwitchyTail Sun 30-Dec-12 16:42:06

They can't stop you doing anything - you could skateboard home if you wished grin

Of course, you may not feel up to it depending on how things go, so it would probably be a good idea to look into cab companies that offer taxis with infant seats in advance. (An alternative would be to take a taxi yourself and have your partner walk home with the baby, if you don't live too far away). Lots of options, none of which involve buying a car seat for one journey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now