Talk

Advanced search

Please help. Done something really stupid and now panicking.

(14 Posts)
PrimeSuspect Sun 30-Dec-12 05:16:28

I'm on holiday in Asia with family and we decided to go on an island cruise. Except the boat we actually ended up on was a speed boat and the water was so rough we ended up turning around-I think there was a storm coming. I'm 14 weeks pg and now beside myself with worry that all the jarring up and down will have done something awful. I don't know what to do. Please give me some advice as I can't think straight. hmm

TanteRose Sun 30-Dec-12 05:20:37

Don't worry - your body is built to protect your baby from harm.
The fetus is only tiny and will be well cushioned by your body

Enjoy the rest of your holiday smile

PrimeSuspect Sun 30-Dec-12 05:49:56

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. I feel very stupid to have even attempted the boat to be honest. Your post has relaxed me a bit though so thank you.

Chottie Sun 30-Dec-12 05:56:33

Just to second TanteRose, your baby is weeny at the moment and cocooned by your body. Relax and enjoy your holiday grin

PrimeSuspect Sun 30-Dec-12 06:03:05

Thank you Chottie for your reply too. I couldn't tell if I was panicking for no reason or not but your replies have calmed me down so much.

Iheartpasties Sun 30-Dec-12 06:07:28

your baby will not have been harmed!

FadBook Sun 30-Dec-12 06:38:17

I fell down the stairs at around 15 weeks and went in to panic mode. The GP said that baby is cocooned very conveniently inside you and the bump you have on show is your uterus not your baby at this stage.

Just take it easy and relax, stressing isn't good, keep your mind, body & soul relaxed... You're on holiday, it's a perfect time to switch off any stress grin

Congrats on pg

r3dsquirrel Sun 30-Dec-12 06:51:23

The same thing happened to me early on in pregnancy. I got a 'sea taxi' in Croatia expecting a gentle boat ride and got the roughest bumpiest boat crossing I've ever been on (think waves crashing over the top of the boat, people crying etc!). I was terrified it had harmed the baby and did lots of research (all of which suggested that sailing, horseriding and even rollercoasters were unlikely to harm a small fetus). My baby was born fine and at 9 months he loves the water so I don't think it did him any harm! Don't worry.

brettgirl2 Sun 30-Dec-12 07:07:12

I went horse riding when pregnant. The risk of miscarriage is falling off not bumping up and down. Relax, it's probably the most exciting thing that's happened to your baby in his/her little life :-)

RubyrooUK Sun 30-Dec-12 07:51:40

Yup don't worry. My two year old has accidentally knelt on my stomach several times in pregnancy. And I have fallen down the stairs once (didn't hit my bump but did end up heavily bruised on the bum).

I think the falling down stairs - while obviously a bad idea - showed me how well cushioned babies are, and I'm a lot further on than you.

noblegiraffe Sun 30-Dec-12 08:53:47

My car was hit by a bus when I was 12 weeks pregnant (big jolt, big dent, but otherwise ok). Went to see the doc all worried about the baby and he said that they are well protected inside and it was nothing to worry about if I didn't have any other symptoms like bleeding or pain. I had my 12 week scan a few days later and everything was fine smile

PrimeSuspect Sun 30-Dec-12 09:08:45

Thank you so much for all your reassuring posts. I've been resting since we got back and feel a lot calmer about it now. I think I just went into panic mode and being in a strange country probably doesn't help. I really appreciate all your replies, one of the reasons Mumsnet is so great!

redbunnyfruitcake Sun 30-Dec-12 10:48:51

I went sledging down a big mountain in Switzerland which was very scary and bumpy indeed when I was 12 weeks. My DD is 3 with no problems. They are protected by your body and all the amniotic fluid so it's pretty hard to damage them. Good luck with things I'm sure your will be fine.

lovethesun1 Sun 30-Dec-12 21:18:36

Your baby will be fine-he/she is much better cushioned than you against all those bumps! Poor you though,sounds pretty stressful! Make sure you get lots of rest. And it's true what the midwife said when I had my 1st dc-the worrying never stops,it just changes focus! Hope you enjoy the rest of your hol smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now