Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BMI and Birth Centre

(3 Posts)
thebetachimp Sat 29-Dec-12 14:36:30

I'm 37 weeks with first baby and had an appointment with a midwife yesterday to go through my birth plan. I saw a different midwife from usual, so she wasn't familiar with my history.

I very much want to go to the midwife-led unit rather than the hospital as I want a natural / water-birth and to be as active as possible. Also, the midwife-led unit has the option of family rooms, so DH can stay if necessary. I've had a really straightforward pregnancy and no health problems.

When I said that I want to use the midwife-led unit the midwife said that that wasn't an option as my BMI was over the cut-off point of 30 at the first appointment, so I have no choice but to go to the hospital.

I was a bit upset about this, as my normal BMI is 26 and it was just that I immediately got really bloated when I got pregnant so put on over a stone in water within a week or two of conceiving. I explained this to the midwife and she said that those were the rules and that I didn't have any choice. She refused to discuss it further with me.

So I've spent the last day feeling fat and upset that I am not allowed to decide where I give birth.

Anyway, I just checked my notes and I see they have my height wrong - only by half an inch, but it means that my BMI at the time was 29 and not 30 (i.e. below the cut-off point). My notes also say that I'm low-risk. I'm relieved, but I'm also really annoyed that I've been worrying unnecessarily.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Am I right that they'll have to accept my choice of giving birth in the midwife-led unit?

Runswithsquirrels Sat 29-Dec-12 14:39:43

How odd and annoying for you. I have a BMI of 33 (I think) and am only three months in. At my booking in appointment I was told I would be in the midwife led department as I am low risk - so I honestly don't see how they can make you change now!

thebetachimp Sat 29-Dec-12 14:42:58

I hope so, Squirrels.

Actually, writing it down has stopped me feeling annoyed, and I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things. I think I was just feeling that I wasn't going to be able to decide things for myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now