Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a blood clot on lung in pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
Reenypip Thu 27-Dec-12 17:08:22

Anyone had a blood clot on lung in pregnancy?

Themobstersknife Thu 27-Dec-12 17:13:12

I had one two weeks after a c section. Why do you ask?

Reenypip Thu 27-Dec-12 17:20:12

Just posted this in other forum -

I know pregnancy increases the risk of blood clots, and so does reduced mobility. (I'm a wheelchair user due to spinal injury)
I also have asthma. I'm not even that big at the moment, but my chest is tight very often, and get out of breathe very easily. I have had a bug for a couple of weeks that not helping my chest too. I coughed up blood too. I'm quite positive it was from chest and not stomach.
My coughing isn't that frequent and bad
. I just had a huge deep cough and it came up.

I did have clexane injections with my first pregnancy to decrease risk.
This year I've also had 3 operations (which can increase the risk of blood clots). I have a heart moniter next week too to try catch my heart palpitating. (I had heart problems in first pregnancy during delivery c section )

If you've had a blood clot on lung how were you diagnosed and what were your symptoms?

I get out of breath just talking.

3littlefrogs Thu 27-Dec-12 17:25:32

Reenypip, I have replied on your other thread. Please go to a&E now.

Themobstersknife Thu 27-Dec-12 17:37:25

I got a clot whilst on clexane.
I agree go to A&E. They will do a blood test which will indicate whether there is likely to be a clot. If this comes back positive they may also do a CT Scan. They also do general obs. If they think you have a clot, they will anticoagulate you and may prescribe bedrest. Sounds like you may also need oxygen. You must get to A&E. There is a serious risk of fatality related to PE.

DingDongBelle Fri 28-Dec-12 10:12:17

Go to A&E. straight away. I had multiple PE this time last year and it felt like my asthma was just really bad, but I had had ten blue puffs and no better. It's a simple blood test at A&e and they will tell you you did the right thing even if you are ok, or will nebulise you for worsened asthma if its that. Good luck xx

FestiveDigestive Fri 28-Dec-12 17:51:06

A & E straight away. I had multiple clots in pregnancy and had no other risk factors. I never coughed up blood and was treated for a month for a chest infection/asthma by several Drs who didn't listen when I told then my breathlessness wasn't asthma type breathlessness. It was only my increased pulse with the breathlessness & palpitations that lead me to refer myself to the consultant.

I had a v/q scan instead of a CT scan because I was worried about the CT scan in pregnancy. It didn't take long and the results were back in a few hrs.

Themobstersknife Fri 28-Dec-12 19:03:08

Reenypip - let us know the outcome.
Others who had clots - hope you are doing ok? I have struggled with anxiety since mine, although health wise I am back to my pre clot self. Does the recurrence fear ever subside?

FestiveDigestive Fri 28-Dec-12 19:13:07

Themobsters - You make a good point about the anxiety. I am still taking a treatment dose of fragmin as I'm still pregnant (booked for a c-section in 2 wks) and along with the anxiety about the actually delivery/post natal period, I still feel very anxious about the future & the risk of it happening to me again.

My family were very sympathetic at the time the clots were picked up (I was really struggling to breathe by then) but as soon as I'd started on he injections their attitude was "You are safe now, no need to worry" whereas I kept looking back on what could have happened & thinking "Where did they come from? What was I doing at the time they were travelling through my heart?" and just scaring myself silly!

I see that you got a clot whilst on Clexane - that must have been even scarier. Was it a preventative dose?

I think it's hard because it's not something that's happened to many people so maybe they don't realise how serious it can be and then that means that you are worrying on your own.

Themobstersknife Fri 28-Dec-12 20:42:03

Yes I have found the same. Support at the time, but now because I am 'back to normal', people understandably have moved on. I was on a low dose of clexane. Am now on warfarin for life. Hope all goes well with you. Make sure you keep up with your fragmin in your post natal period as that is the most dangerous time. Wish you all the very best.
Reenypip - hope you are ok.

Reenypip Thu 03-Jan-13 10:32:11

Hiya,
I spoke to my midwife and she said common to be breathless in pregnancy, alongside with my asthma and the bug I've had probably caused the blood and she said I have no risk factors and would have been put on clexane.
I disagree with her, it's been overlooked, I was on it in first pregnancy and afterwards.
Will speak to my anaesthetist when I see him in clinic.

3littlefrogs Thu 03-Jan-13 17:44:56

Oh dear.

Sorry but your midwife is wrong.

You do have risk factors. IME many midwives are not as knowledgeable about this as they should be. You need to speak to someone at the hospital asap. Either the thromboprophylaxis nurse, or the haematology team.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now