Talk

Advanced search

No symptoms at 7 weeks and driving myself crazy!

(18 Posts)
IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Wed 26-Dec-12 13:16:06

As the title says, I am 7 weeks pregnant (today) and although I know to everybody experiences morning sickness/nausea etc. I am so worried there is something wrong. I have had a lot of positive tests but apart from being very tired and having a breakout of spots nothing else. Very early in the pregnancy I thought my sense of smell was very sensitive but this has gone away now. The only thing I have had is a lot of cramping, I get very painful periods and they are not as bad as those cramps but enough to stop me short and have to press my hand to my stomach to try to ease them a bit. At first I thought this was good, evidence of more bedding in, but I am worried about a missed miscarriage.

Even though it was against my better judgement we told my boyfriend's immediate family just before Christmas and this has worried me even more. His mother and sister-in-law asked me about sickness and said they had had it from the get-go. I feel so panicky at the thought there is something wrong with my baby, without symptoms I feel it is stupidly optimistic to let myself believe everything is ok and I will have a good outcome at the 12 week scan.

My booking appointment is on the 7th January and I feel like a fraud going along there when I do not feel pregnant. The last test I took was a very strong positive but then I googled that tests still show positive for a while after miscarriages or missed miscarriages. I feel very alone as I have nobody in real life I can talk to about this, my boyfriend is sure everything will be ok and I don't want to worry him as he is normally a worrier.

I am sorry for waffling on, I just needed to voice my worst fears I think.

X

Gingerbreadpixie Wed 26-Dec-12 14:32:38

Oh please try not to worry (and I am a worry wart myself!). I'm not the most experienced myself but tiredness and spots do sound like symptoms. And you have your positive test. I'm only 4 weeks and having the cramps myself. It is a bit unnerving but there are so many Mumsnetters in early pregnancy with the same cramps if you look at other threads. It's just the womb getting ready and stretching. If you haven't got heavy bleeding with clots or bright red blood, try not to worry. Apparently even a little blood is not necessarily a bad thing.

As I found out this week, Google can throw up some really worrying stories so if you have any questions you'd like other pg women to answer, just post here! Anything more medical, speak to NHS Direct or give your GP a call. Try and stay away from Google unless you're on proper NHS website or MN!

Hope that helps a bit. I'm going through similar to you. At first I thought I was going crazy but apparently all the worrying is rather normal! Especially with 1st pg.

Hugs to you

X

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Wed 26-Dec-12 16:02:48

Hi Ginger, thanks for replying. You are right about Google, for every encouraging story there are plenty of scary ones too. It is so hard not to worry isn't it?

I see my 12 week scan as a real milestone, if I can get that far I will hopefully be able to relax and enjoy my pregnancy. It is just so hard to know what is normal and what isn't.

I don't know if there is a proven link, but I thought I would get morning sickness as I suffer from travel sickness, have had to switch from two different brands of pills in the past due to nausea and a constant sea sickness feeling and am generally prone to dizziness and nausea. Maybe my body is just used to the hormones now!

Lydia161290 Wed 26-Dec-12 18:35:15

I didn't have morning sickness when I was 7 weeks pregnant, even 8. I was baffled because I read that's when you're supposed to get it. I got some tiredness and sore breasts, but nothing that I thought MS was.

I'd been to my booking appointment and told the midwife I felt worried because I didn't really feel pregnant, though by then i'd missed my second period and it was obvious I was pregnant (4 pos tests too)

In my 9th week of pregnancy it hit me like a bomb. I started vomiting. I even puked up Xmas lunch and was bed ridden all of Christmas day. I'm now on week 10ish.

Maybe it's too early for you to get anything? I wouldn't worry. Just wait out until your scan, by the time I get my first scan i'll be out of the 1st trimester. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Gingerbreadpixie Wed 26-Dec-12 18:45:10

Trenchcoat - it is hard not to worry. It's a scary new world!

Yes, 12 weeks is a big milestone but you're more than halfway there. Someone said to me recently that if I keep worrying so early on it'll make the wait to that 12 weeks feel so much longer. I'm trying to keep that advice in mind!

janey1234 Wed 26-Dec-12 18:50:49

Hi

Just wanted to say that I had no symptoms apart from sore boobs, which eased by about seven weeks. I was ridiculously worried like you. Had no morning sickness, and was only a bit tired, and that was it.

On Christmas Eve I had my twelve week scan and all is good smile

I think that to be honest some people are lucky. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong so just try to relax if you can at all.

Oh and jealous of your booking in appointment - still haven't had mine! hmm

LaCiccolina Wed 26-Dec-12 18:51:41

I never experienced sickness at all twice now. Not a twinge Nary a recognisable sensation of anything.

I only guessed because I randomly went right off white wine. Can't stick stuff in 3 mile radius of me. Still didn't make me ill tho. Without a test I honestly could have grown a bump before if have realised so no, no sickness doesn't make u weird or not pregnant.

It will get u hated tho! smile

TinkyPeet Wed 26-Dec-12 19:06:27

I was in your position a few weeks ago. I had absolutely no symptoms and found myself poas every day! Then I had a full week of non stop vomiting, couldn't even keep water down!!, then it stopped! I only throw up once or twice a day now and poas once or twice a week, yes I'm a freak lol
Even though this is my third I worry more than I did with the others.
Try and relax, enjoy not being sick smile xx

Lionsntigersnbears Wed 26-Dec-12 19:50:41

Do not google ! There was a study done once that found top google results for cold symptoms were HIV support pages! It doesn't direct you to common things - only things people are using and linking to a lot.
For what it's worth my symptoms come and go at the moment (14 weeks) but with dd (now 2.6) the first symptom i had, apart from the bump, was dd (if you don't include labour of course grin)

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 27-Dec-12 12:17:15

It is so reassuring to read these messages, I keep imagining myself breaking down in front of the midwife over my lack of symptoms.

I think you are trained up from an early age to believe pregnancy goes hand in hand with sickness, it is the first question people tend to ask so if you haven't had any nausea at all it is so easy to worry. If we have been apart for a while my boyfriend will also ask how we both are, I am sick of telling him everything is normal, and without a positive test I wouldn't even know. You start to think you are a fantasist!

I am also still taking pregnancy tests to convince myself, and the month I conceived was also the first month I had been charting my temp on Fertility Friend and I have carried on doing this and my temp is still high.

Mylittlepuds Thu 27-Dec-12 16:04:41

Honestly this time I've had no symptoms and I'm now 23 weeks! A bit of nausea that came and went. I stressed myself out last pregnancy about lack of symptoms and ths one too, a bit. There have been so many threads here, all of the mumsnetters worrying about the same thing. X

Teapig Thu 27-Dec-12 19:00:47

I'm very similar to mylittlepuds, I've had no symptoms, no sickness at all and I'm 24 weeks now.

Try not to worry trenchcoat. I worried all the way up to the 12 week scan as I hadn't had any of the symptoms you read about. I don't think sickness means anything, everyone is different. So many people told me that because I hadn't had sickness I must be having a boy but actually we're having a girl. I think a lot of the stuff people say about sickness and symptoms needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt as everyone is different.

I felt the same when people, including my DH, asked me about sickness. Even now people ask how I'm feeling and I honestly feel so normal I have to remind myself that I'm pregnant, I know it's very fortunate not to have any ill effects but for a long time it worried me. Now I'm enjoying it and very pleased to have a lovely sized bump. It could well be the same for you, try to relax and enjoy it.

Same here, 7 weeks (tomorrow) no ms, just tired, emotional/moody, spotty and weird dreams. I had sore boobs for a few days but that has mostly gone. I did throw up last night but I think I just ate far too much then topped it off with an ill advised large mug of cocoa at 11.15pm. Tooooo much.

Keep the faith, I recall reading about 30% of women have little to no ms. This is my 3rd baby and I've never had proper ms, just a bit of mild nausea either first thing in the morning or at tea time.

Reebok Thu 27-Dec-12 23:43:52

OP, please don't give into this 'morning sickness = healthy pregnancy' crap! It's a load of BS!! I had severe sickness....hyperemesis in my last pregnancy and had a mmc. I felt sick until the day I had my erpc despite the fact I knew my baby had died. So sickness doesn't mean a healthy preg...unfortunately nothing can guarantee that...but try not to worry about your lack of sickness etc and just enjoy being puke free!

OhMittens Thu 27-Dec-12 23:55:37

I was just the same as you, in my 1st pg I went to the EPU because I felt so "un-pregnant" blush and had some cramping, like period pain. They did a scan and there was baby. Still here now as a noisy 5yo smile
What I have learnt since is that once you are a mummy (starting with pg smile, you have zero control over a lot of things (illnesses, sleeping, eating, milestones) and that of course you should be noticing things but often a lot of stuff irons itself out and that which doesn't, 9 times out of 10 there is nothing you can do to change it anyway. So don't worry (yes, I know, but). Sit back, circle the date for your 12 weeks scan. There is nothing to indicate you won't be there, seeing your healthy 12 week bean doing somersalts smile. All the best.

OhMittens Thu 27-Dec-12 23:56:07

Urgh, 3 smileys in one post! <must not overuse icons>

WildWorld2004 Fri 28-Dec-12 00:28:53

There are no symptoms for pregnancy. It is not an illness.

I was sick from the moment i found out (around 5 weeks) until i gave birth at 41 weeks and had a healthy baby. My sis had nothing, no sickness, no cravings, nothing and she had a healthy baby.

Stop worrying and even thinking about it. There is a long way until you are due.

OhMittens Fri 28-Dec-12 14:18:05

Umm, WildWood2004 - symptoms are not limited to illness! They are also "A characteristic sign or indication of the existence of something else". Pregnancy can and does have symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now