Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really bad morning sickness need some advice

(15 Posts)
lilangel101 Mon 24-Dec-12 22:44:48

Hi

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and having really bad
Morning sickness feel very weak the sickness
Tends to happen mostly at night and today it seems to be really bad I've managed to keep something down during the day but for my dinner I couldn't keep it down, I keep sipping on water to top up on my fluids
Is there any advice anyone can give me please

somanymiles Mon 24-Dec-12 23:04:35

Some people do get morning sickness really badly. Try eating a small salty snack - BEFORE you get hungry. eg popcorn, cheese twists, crackers. Or some kind of watery fruit like melon (not pineapple). If that doesn't work try peppermint tea. You might have to figure out some kind of combination of the above. The bad news is that maybe nothing will work. There is medication you can take if it is so bad you are unable to keep nourished. You may just end up lying on the sofa groaning for a few months. So sorry!

lilangel101 Mon 24-Dec-12 23:06:48

Thanks, I've manged to eat grapes but I'm hearing there
Bad during pregnancy is this true?

wonderstuff Mon 24-Dec-12 23:21:08

I had awful sickness during both pregnancies. Eat whatever you fancy, whatever you can keep down. Try to eat before you get hungry, try to graze all the time. A cracker before you try to get up in the morning can help. REST - it will get worse if you are tired. If it really is awful go to the doctor - and keep going if you continue to feel awful. I was signed off work for several weeks during both my pregnancies which really helped. During my second I really couldn't keep anything down - I had some medication prescribed - I should have been hospitalised really. Take all offers of help that you can.

Don't think grapes are bad - fsa has a list of foods to avoid, as does nhs. I personally disregarded this and ate whatever I fancied.

With DD I continued to feel/be sick throughout the pregnancy, but was able to function much better after 12 weeks, I lived on real lemonade and marmite on toast - my god I felt amazing after I gave birth - that first meal after I had her was amazing.

With DS I was much sicker, couldn't keep anything down for a couple of weeks, seriously considered termination, it was hellish, but slowly started to get better at about 10 weeks and was not sick at all after 17 weeks. Didn't get that same intense joy after giving birth though.

Its the not knowing when it will get better that I found so awful in those early weeks - one doctor said, well you'll probably feel better in 6 weeks - its a long time to be feeling awful.

Take care, hope you feel better soon.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Dec-12 23:30:06

You are not alone. You could have a pg condition called hyperemisis gravidarum (what Kate Middleton was in hospital for recently). I did in both pg. It's utterly grim. I couldn't move my head without throwing up, let alone stand up, drink or eat, for about weeks 7-15.

It's really important that you stay hydrated (pale yellow wee, not dark), even if you can't eat. There are various drugs to treat the vomiting (although none of them actually took away the constant feeling of nausea I had). These helped me a little bit, but I still ended up in hospital several times being rehydrated on a drip. A friend if mine had HG from around week 8 until her baby was born, but was able to function OK by taking phenergan (she didn't end up hospital ).

Some doctors are sympathetic to hyperemisis, some are not. But it's not a state of mind! Have a a look here too.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Dec-12 23:37:15

I am not aware of any guidance not to eat grapes. in the second half of my second pg, I really fancied prawn sandwiches - I was so relieved to be eating, I didn't care it was seafood. I second toast and Marmite and real lemonade. Also Mini Cheddars and ice cubes.

stinkymice Mon 24-Dec-12 23:46:17

Eat little and often,nibble arrowroot biscuits Try sea bands,you can get them in boots they work by pressing on pressure points. All worth a try.

cupcake78 Tue 25-Dec-12 03:33:06

I feel your pain! I have terrible sickness and have with every pregnancy.

Don't get to tired, rest as much as you can and go to bed early!

Eat little and often and only what you can stomach even if that just a grape here and there.

I found extra strong mints and lemons helped with the saliva sick feeling and sipping water is a really good idea.

You can't fight it you have to just go with it even if that does mean dying for weeks.

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Tue 25-Dec-12 05:18:17

I feel your pain. I had horrid sickness and mostly in the evening too. I ate a tonne of grapes and my dd shows no signs of grape eating damage!! In fact I think they were a good way of replacing fluids.

It will ease up hopefully by 16 weeks. In consolation I lost over 2 stone and although put that on with baby by 9 months. Days after giving birth I weighed less than before pregnant and felt amazing for it.

EggyM Tue 25-Dec-12 07:15:18

I too feel your pain. I am 8+6 weeks today and feel so unbelievably sick all of the time. Worst thing is I am at my in laws at the moment for Christmas and they are not very sympathetic. I am absolutely dreading all the Christmas food smells today. Considering I had to race to the bathroom yesterday when confronted with the smell of my mother in laws cooking I think they will very less than impressed...

LIG1979 Tue 25-Dec-12 07:32:53

Rubbish -my morning sickness was more severe nausea all day and night this time last year. I found eating continuously would help and would have to force myself to eat at just before bed and again 3am otherwise by 6am I couldn't eat and felt horrible. B6 also helped (I think marmite is high in this) - I took 10 mg 6 times a day evenly spread including one dose in the middle of the night to help with getting up in the morning. B6 did take a few days to work though but really did help take the edge off it. Also felt better on Sundays so I think tiredness was a factor too. It does get better (for most people) and is worth it in the end grin

pugoff Wed 26-Dec-12 10:21:08

Things that helped me:
Satsumas, satsumas, satsumas,
Grapes
Vit b complex 50 mg daily (was noticeably worse whenever I stopped taking)
Fizzy drinks rather than plain water
Travel sickness bands
Smoothies if I could manage to drink watered down
Eating even tho I knew I didn't want to and felt queezy it was better than not snacking and then vomming
Mini cheddars
Eventually, cyclizine prescribed from docs

I also thought I'd miraculously be better at 12 weeks and got depressed and a bit worse after. But from 19 weeks I've stopped vomming am off the drugs and nausea has largely gone. My hubby hasn't recovered yet from the shock of me being so ill. He likened it to caring for someone with a terminal illness as I just didn't get better so what felt like such a long time.
Good luck.

Lope Wed 26-Dec-12 10:34:10

I was sick from 6 weeks to birth and the only thing that worked for me was travel sickness tablets. The older male doctors at my practice were very reluctant to give them but a younger, and recently delivered of twins, female was very positive. I did try all the non-drug things but they really didn't help at all. I did however still feel sick all day!

sprite25 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:04:44

I'm coming up to 7 weeks and feel so guilty, as both me and OH wanted a baby so much but now its happened I feel so miserable. I feel extreme nausea ALL the time, broken up with the odd bout of dry retching and so far only actually been sick once (sorry if TMI) which relieved it for an afternoon only. A list of things I've tried, alone and all together: Ginger ale, Ginger biscuits, sucking hard mints, acupressure bands, fresh air, lots of rest, eating little and often including nibbling something before getting out of bed in the morning, Gaviscon (in small recommended doses), sipping water, doing something to try and distract myself..... so far no miracle cure, in fact it just seems to be getting worse to the point where I don't think I can manage to go to work tomorrow as I can barely get out of bed to go and take a bath never mind being on my feet all day running around after impatient customers (as I would be at work). I had my first appointment with my midwife today and although she was nice, apart from suggesting some of the things I've already tried, she didn't really seem to have anything too helpful or reassuring to say sad my OH is trying to be as helpful as he can but at the moment I feel as though no one could understand how miserable and literally ill I feel, I have my fingers, toes and everything else crossed that I will be one of the lucky ones where it eases of at around 12 weeks but even that seems a million years away

almostanotherday Mon 22-Apr-13 20:08:51

Pickled onion monster munch worked for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now